Rock & Roll HOF Revised Mission Statement Better for Carpenters?

Saw some discussion in the "Long-time Carpenters Fan Says..." thread about the RRHOF and the Carpenters non-inclusion. This past January, the RRHOF revised their mission statement to define to the public what rock music really is and hinted at changes to the eligibility requirements for induction. Maybe the chances for a Carpenters inclusion has increased?

It may help, only time will tell. My complaint with the R&RHOF is that they have not been true to their identity over the years and tend to induct the hip and cool and anyone involved in the counterculture movement even when the talent was questionable.

List of inductees that fall under the POP/MOR/Top 40 category (there are others) and surely would never be confused as true rock and rollers. ABBA and the Bee Gees were definitely more uptempo during the disco era and Lionel Richie was more of a "rocker" when he was with the Commodores than during his solo career. And most of these artists are well deserving of their place in the Hall in my opinion, but so are the Carpenters and Three Dog Night:

The Everly Brothers
The Supremes
Simon & Garfunkel
Gladys Knight & the Pips
Bee Gees
Dusty Springfield
James Taylor
Brenda Lee
The Righteous Brothers
ABBA
Donna Summer
Cat Stevens
Whitney Houston
Carole King
Lionel Richie
Carly Simon
Dolly Parton

Many of the inductees in the Hall don't even play an instrument which is also puzzling to me and should be a prerequisite to be in any musical place of enshrinement. :)

Well a "singer" is just as much a musician as someone who plays an instrument. Some of the most popular singers do not play an instrument. Stevie Nicks comes to mind. There are a ton of other great singers who may have played, but weren't known for it, like Lou Gramm (Foreigner), Steve Perry (Journey), Mick Jagger (Stones), the list could go on and on.

That aside, the RRHOF is kind of a "good old boys" club -- there are "musical politics" involved, for lack of a better term. For the Carps to get in, they first need to be nominated; and then they need to get enough nomination votes to be included in that year's class.

If you are a Sirius/XM listener, go to the Howard Stern channel on the website and find his interview with Steve Miller. It's VERY eye-opening with regard to the RRHOF.

It may help, only time will tell. My complaint with the R&RHOF is that they have not been true to their identity over the years and tend to induct the hip and cool and anyone involved in the counterculture movement even when the talent was questionable.

List of inductees that fall under the POP/MOR/Top 40 category (there are others) and surely would never be confused as true rock and rollers. ABBA and the Bee Gees were definitely more uptempo during the disco era and Lionel Richie was more of a "rocker" when he was with the Commodores than during his solo career. And most of these artists are well deserving of their place in the Hall in my opinion, but so are the Carpenters and Three Dog Night:

The Everly Brothers
The Supremes
Simon & Garfunkel
Gladys Knight & the Pips
Bee Gees
Dusty Springfield
James Taylor
Brenda Lee
The Righteous Brothers
ABBA
Donna Summer
Cat Stevens
Whitney Houston
Carole King
Lionel Richie
Carly Simon
Dolly Parton

Many of the inductees in the Hall don't even play an instrument which is also puzzling to me and should be a prerequisite to be in any musical place of enshrinement. :)
Voice is an instrument.

I wonder if last night's mention of the Carpenters at the Academy Awards will win them any points in the "influence" category. How influential an artist is, as cited by other artists, is supposed to be one of the criteria for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. M. M. Keeravani saying he listened to them growing up, and then actually singing "Top of the World" (personalizing the lyrics), should have got someone's attention.

I wonder if last night's mention of the Carpenters at the Academy Awards will win them any points in the "influence" category. How influential an artist is, as cited by other artists, is supposed to be one of the criteria for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. M. M. Keeravani saying he listened to them growing up, and then actually singing "Top of the World" (personalizing the lyrics), should have got someone's attention.
Hmmmm...watching the clip, the audience laughed at first as if it were a joke (not that I'd expect a different reaction from that elite, completely out-of-touch with the rest of the world demographic). But also, the Rock and Roll HOF, at least to me, is the joke...almost to the point anymore that it would be an embarrassment to get nominated. In my humble opinion, Carpenters are better than the RARHOF and simply do not need the recognition.

Back
Top Bottom