Rudy's Summer of Jazz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
We have some good jazz coming to the area this summer. Surprising, since Detroit is usually a black hole for well-known jazz talent.

June 12: David Sanborn at Chene Park. Saw Sanborn in Ann Arbor many years ago. Great playing, horrible sound system. Also saw him as part of a "Montreux Festival" tour w/ four other artists a couple of years ago.

August 1: The Rippingtons/David Benoit/Jean-Luc Ponty at Freedom Hill. Can't ask for more in one concert! I've always wanted to see Benoit...this is a great lineup! Saw Ponty earlier this year, and it was an excellent show. Have never seen Rippingtons, but am more a fan of their earlier recordings, not the newer stuff. (As popular as their earlier GRP recordings are, I'm sure they'll play a few of them!)

I have tickets for both. :D

Mangione's also back in town later this summer, and I may try to get in to see that one also. I only caught part of his set last year, and from what I heard, it was one of those nice "memory lane" type of concerts where he played all songs I was familiar with. July 31 at Chene Park.

There are other jazz festivals being announced here this summer, but no names have been announced yet. There's a festival at Freedom Hill, as well as a Jazz On The River series over a long weekend (which we attended last year--Joe Sample, Yellowjackets and Mangione).

Thankfully they've gotten away from the cesspool that the Montreux/Detroit festival had become. (Who wants to go into Detroit's filthy, garbage-lined downtown area, eating from cruddy-looking food stands, and dodge the pickpockets, winos and bums to see jazz? And they wondered why attendance fell off??)

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom