Sadness, melancholy

I think it's fair to say there was/is a dark undertone in and throughout most of their work, regardless of the mood or nature that each is trying to convey through a song's recording and production.
Again, I disagree with this generalized statement - not most of their work and not regardless of the intended mood...whenever the combination of lyrics, key & Karen's always emotion-inducing interpretation created & projected that, yes...but...

Quite to the contrary, just the opposite often happens, and it all has to do with Karen's incredibly appealing voice and the natural, automatic, instantaneous effect it has on her listeners - I've noticed this in myself and a lot of other reactors - even during the saddest of songs one finds oneself smiling and feeling calm and at peace - and the whole experience is a delightful conflict of emotions, with the whole intended musical production vieing for control of your emotions with the exact opposite and overpowering effect being generated by that remarkable voice.

In other words one could fairly say that there's an element of happiness as an undertone in the saddest of their songs, in spite of the lyrics and key...

Back
Top Bottom