sailing on the tide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark-T

Hi,
I was just listening to this track on "Voice of the Heart". I vaguely recall something about Richard doing the original vocals on this for inclusion on "Horizon". Yet, Karen sings lead here. Whose version was recorded for VOTH? Any ideas? If it was Richard, then what year did Karen do hers?
Just think how much better Horizon would have been if this track and Tryin to get the Feeling had been on it! I like Horizon, but it always seemed to "lag" a little in energy...
Mark

I always thought of Sailing on the Tide and Happy as being in the same catagory, so I can see why both were not on the same album.

I have liked Trying to get the Feeling and feel that it would have been nice on Horizon, but I would not want anything taken off Horizon for it. For Caught Between Goodbye and I Love You and Love Me For What I Am are my favorites and probably were a part of the decision making process.

Trying to get the Feeling would have been better without the dog-friend image. That would have killed that song on the airwaves at that time.

Sailing On the Tide lacks magic although it is nice to hear Karen's vocals in this frame. However, I do not have an answer to your question for I always understood it to be the only recording.

Craig

Never heard of an intended Richard Vocal version of "Sailing" for Horizon Album ?

Understood John Bettis and Tony Peluso co-wrote both "Happy" and "Sailing" in 1975 during those Writing / Recording Sessions.Due to Production Deadlines , Touring committments etc , the latter song was held over and finally recorded in 1977 during the Passage Sessions.Richard held this track over until 1983 Release.

If there is a Richard Vocal version , this is probably a Demo from Rehearsals / Early Sessions and only intended as a guide for Karen or Group Musicians Probably in Richard's Archive and unlikely ever to be released with Richard's Attitude to his Lead Vocal Songs :wink:

Horizon Album is one of Carpenters Gems , I would not cite a lack of Energy on this Album , perhaps you are thinking more about A Kind Of Hush -which does lack Energy or as Richard has stated " Underpowered and far Too Soft in Arrangements and Production with a Few Exceptions" :confused:

Peter ....Horizon ........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom