Sandi Patty and the Carpenters

Status
Not open for further replies.

close2u

Randy Schmidt
I changed the subject only because the thread had changed. The topic had moved to Sandi Patty -- her first LP had a misprint on the cover... her family name was Patty but they printed "Patti" -- instead of reprinting them all, Sandi took the alternate spelling as her "stage name" I guess you'd say. A lot of people thought it was her middle name since she was listed in songwriting credits as Sandi Patti Helvering (her married name). Anyhow, I remember people calling her "the lady with two first names".

As someone who has recently become very interested in the recordings and performances of Sandi Patty, I'd just like to comment on her link to the Carpenters. As a young girl in the early 1970s, Sandi listened to Carpenters records and nothing else. She tried to emulate Karen's voice, copy her phrasing, delivery, etc. As she grew her interests went beyond the Carpenters but she always is still quick to name them as one of her biggest early influences.

Today, while her voice is nowhere near being what you call "similar" to Karen's, the influences of listening to KC are most definitely there. Few singers aside from Karen have made me think "wow -- what a phrase!" Sounds silly, I know, but Karen just knew how to sing a phrase like no one else. Her tone and delivery were always so conversational. These are the ways that Sandi and Karen are very much alike. Both of them have incredible ranges (although different, of course), but the emotion and conversational style of singing is what they have in common.

As for her impersonation of Karen, she does this in her live shows, even recently I have heard. It is one of the better "impersonations" of Karen I have heard, emphasizing Karen's "o" vowels and the "vocal fry" sound. It's really a neat little medley she does, singing "Jesus Loves Me" in the style of her influences, from Karen to Streisand to opera!

I saw Sandi Patty in concert last year and again just a few months ago. She is so incredibly talented and really underrated -- probably due to her own personal issues in the early 1990s, which caused her to material to be pulled from many Christian music outlets. In my opinion, Sandi's is one of the great voices of our time. If you haven't listened to Sandi Patty, I highly recommend any of her more recent albums. The big albums from the 1980s are a little "overwhelming" if you aren't into that, but for a good dose of Sandi's emotional, from the heart singing listen to her "Artist Of My Soul" CD. Incredible!

Randy

Coincidenally, she's due in town next month for a symphony orchestra date. Didn't she do some albums for A&M's Word label or perhaps another subsidiary?
JB

I decided to dig thru the cutout bins for some Sandi Patti music this weekend. Found a 1983 album, MORE THAN WONDERFUL (Impact Records R3818. This 1983 release contains the live "Jesus Loves Me" medley with SP doing her Karen Carpenter impersonation. Very accurate, I must say.
Also found a '93 disc, LEVOYAGE, which is comparatively low-key but contains some beautiful orchestrations.
Spent $3 plus tax total on both items.
JB

Hello all. I have been reading this form for a long time and have truly enjoyed it but never bothered to register or post. Was too lazy :sad: But, then somebody had to bring up the singer SANDI PATTY and I could NOT let this one go by without my two cents! First off, I am 39 and have LOVED the voice of Karen and music of the Carpenters since I was old enough to play a record on my first record player (about 10 years old in 1973). Have followed them since. Have all the 8-tracks, LPs, cassettes, CDs and posters, concert programs, etc. Karen was and is the BEST. In college, I also fell for Barbra Streisand. Although I could listen to ANY Streisand album and enjoy it, her early stuff was especially good. Classic pop treasures, no doubt. About that time in my life, a friend had me listen to Sandi Patty's live album where she speaks fondly of these two famous singers. Well, over time, I grew to LOVE Sandi's sweet voice just as much. Don't consider myself extremely religous and it still makes no difference. PATTY has had some of the finest recordings!!! They are full of beautiful, positive songs. Her voice is so pure and the way she phrases a lyric is incredible. ANY of her 12 or so albums I would highly recommend. (She has won 6 Grammy awards to boot!) She has a range that is beyond compare with Karen OR Barbra. An impressive, soaring High-C that is not at all painful but gives one goosebumps! And, can go as LOW as Karen (Listen to the first line of the classic Christmas Song on her O Holy Night! Christmas album) Working with the BEST arrangers and backup, she really hammers the power pop (Christain) stuff and also delivers chilling, intimate quite numbers with such control and grace. Yes, I realize this forum is about the CARPENTERS. But, like me, I just felt like more of Karen's fans would and should fall in love with PATTY's voice if they took a listen! Thanks again everyone for such a fun, interesting website. —Michael in Tampa, Florida :)

By the way, JB, since you just got the great album LEVOYAGE. Listen to the song: The Tenderlands. This would have been a great song for Karen!

I too have to agree that I adore Sandi Patty's voice. She has a rare gift and wonderful vocal ability. She doesn't replace Karen and has no need to. She is given her own set of pipes and is known as THE VOICE. She has captured 39 Dove Awards...the equivalent of the Grammy Award. She won 11 consecutive FEMALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR from the Doves. She has made many a mention of her love for Karen Carpenter's voice, how she would listen to hours trying to sing the way Karen would sing. Her phrasing is very similar to Karen. If you listen to her song IF I WANT TO from her FIND IT ON THE WINGS album, it is similar in style to Karen. It is also written by Burt Bacharach and produced by PHIL RAMONE. I thought that was kind of neat. On video, Sandi said, before her JESUS LOVES ME imitation of Karen Carpenter, "I was so saddened to learn that earlier this year Karen Carpenter died." which was in 1983 when her LIVE MORE THAN WONDERFAL album was released.

My thoughts,
Cameron Longo
[email protected]

As the years of passed, it has been interesting hearing Sandi's voice grow deeper and more mature. I could not help but think how the years would have worked in Karen's voice. Had she lived, no doubt Karen would have released some BEAUTIFUL albums full of her takes on classic standards as well as new hits. Gee.....Karen would have sounded so wonderful on songs such as Unforgettable, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, The Good Life, Autumn Leaves, Send in the Clowns, and too many more to mention!

Well, I Can Dream, Can't I?

—Michael in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom