Sandpipers Let Go Lyric

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMK

Contributor
Could somebody do me a huge favor a post the lyric to Let Go, which the Sandpipers did. I can't find it anywhere and need to do a choral arrangement of this tune. Thanks! :cool:

I can help with the chorus (I don't trust my memory for the rest):

Let go
Let the world know you're alive
Let the world know you believe
Let the world know you have love to give
Go
Tell it in the city
Go
Tell it on the mountain
Go
(and this one I'm struggling to recall, but I think it's)
Let the world know you are here

---Michael Hagerty

No help here--although I did check my Sandpipers albums for lyrics, and got nowhere fast. :sad: It would probably be a date with me, the CD, and the pause button on the remote control to figure it all out.

You might be better doing the instrumental version. :wink:

-= N =-
...bad humor R us...

I actually only need two lines, if that would make it easier (the only version I have is some Muzak-y thing from the late 60s with an overbearing female chorus that I can't understand). One of the lines is the one Mike mentioned above as a "maybe," but to me it sounds like "Go, tell it out into the years." (Final line of chorus).

The other one is in the verse, and is the line right before "Be practical Jack and hold back." Is it "You're right now but right now hold back." That's what it sounds like, but it doesn't make too much sense, unless they're playing on different meanings of "right now."

So, if anyone could give a quick listen and report back on those two lines, I'd be very grateful. (I've got to order that Sandpipers compilation that has it on it, I know, I know).

Here's a combination of the lyrics as printed in the Japanese compilation booklet (DIGITALLY REMASTERED BEST) and using my own interpretation to "correct" it:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let Go
(Baden Powell/Norman Gimbel)

You keep what you're feelin' inside
All buried and boxed up inside
The love that you're feelin' inside
The pity you're feelin' inside

Society tells you, "Stay cool."
They shout you with "let out" "hold back"
You're right now, but right now, hold back
Be practical Jack, and hold back.
You feel like you're bustin' inside
Your heart's in a desperate divide

*(Why, why, why, why) Hold back
(Why, why, why, why) Hold back
(Why, why, why, why) Hold back
(Why, why, why)

**Let go
Let the world know you're alive
Let the world know you believe
Let the world know you have love to give
Go tell it in the city
Go tell it on the mountain
Go tell it loud until they hear

Society tells you, "Hold Back"
They shout you with "let out" "hold back"
You're right now, but right now, hold back
Be practical Jack, and hold back.
You feel like you're bustin' inside
Your heart's in a desperate divide

*repeat

**second time, repeat to fade
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure this is correct, particularly the two lines in question. The Japanese translation has the last line as "Go tell it loud until they leave" which just can't be correct. As for the "You're right now" line, think of it with the commas that I've inserted -- it'll make more sense.

Harry
...ever helpful, online...

You are ever helpful, Harry, and many thanks. One question--could it possibly be "The shout you would let out, hold back"? That's what my ears told me on this horrible version I have? Again, gracias.

I listened again and I'm pretty sure it's "They shout you with Let Out, Hold Back" (I inadvertently reversed the words "with" and "you" and have corrected it in the lyrics post.)

Harry
...about to get a second opinion at work, online...

The second opinion agrees with me. You're wording does indeed make more sense, and perhaps your recorded version is in fact singing that. However, The Sandpipers sound like they're singing "They shout you with "let out" "hold back."

Harry
...with another set of (unbiased) ears listening, online...

And now, for the lyrics from the Tamba 4 version:

"Vai, vai, vai vai.
Vai, vai, vai vai.
...etc..."

:wink:

Unfortunately I never thought to look in the Sandpipers booklet to see if there were lyrics inside. I've probably looked at it in the past, but my memory being what it is, and the fact that they were from a Japanese translation, made me forget about them most likely.

Think I'll put this one on after my Rolling Stones Ultimate Hot Rocks CD #2 is done...

-= N =-
NP: see above...

Harry said:
Go tell it in the city
Go tell it on the mountain
Go tell it loud until they hear
I can't speak to the Sandpipers version, but I do know that when Astrud Gilberto recorded this song around the same time, she sang the last line of the chorus as: "Go, tell about it 'til they hear."

(Which IMHO works better than the awkward "tell it loud"...)

- William

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom