Sandpipers' MISTY/WONDER Reissue from CC Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Today I found a copy of the Collectors' Choice reissue of two vintage Sandpipers albums on one CD: MISTY ROSES and THE WONDER OF YOU.
Great sound, and naturally I can't help wondering what the future holds regarding domestic reissues of SOFTLY, GIFT OF SONG and COME SATURDAY MORNING.

There's a very interesting credit typo for "I Believed It All" on the back sleeve. They list Allan and Marilyn Bergman as lyric writers, as is done on the original SP 4135, as well as Jimmie Rodgers' CHILD OF CLAY.

Al Hirt is credited for writing the music, instead of Al Ham or "A. Ham" as it sometimes appears on the LPs.

Just thought that was interesting.

JB --- (needing to get a life on a Friday night, as usual)

I already have COME SATURDAY MORNING on a Japanese reissue from a few years ago, but the one I really wish they'd put out is A GIFT OF SONG. The Sandpipers were "almost" becoming a pop group on that album. Neither are albums I want to hear all that often, but they're nice listening occasionally.

One of my favorites of theirs was the Neil Diamond tune, "Suzanne." I forget which album that's on at the moment.

SOFTLY (A&M SP 4147) contains "Suzanne," a Leonard Cohen tune. It also shows up on Jimmie Rodgers' WINDMILLS OF YOUR MIND (SP 4187).
JB

--And Roberta Flack also did a version of "Suzanne", though I wonder why it was done on the same LP as the one on which she recorded "Killing Me Softly"...

Leonard Cohen can sound so "dry" that it's a good thing that "Suzanne" WAS covered by other artists... First heard Cohen's version on a Double-Legnth 8-Track of Various Artists who recorded for Columbia/Epic, via COLUMBIA SPECIAL PRODUCTS; lot'ta good stuff there...!

Dave

Incidentally, the song, "I Believed It All" (correct writers were Alan & Marilyn Bergman and Al Hamm) was covered by Claudine Longet on her A&M lp "Colours" (Sp 4163) and though she did an "okay" job on it, the ultimate version was recorded by the folk group "Pozo-Seco Singers", (Columbia Records single 4-44041) around 1967. That was the group country superstar Don Williams came out of. They were a trio out of Texas.. Don Williams, Lofton Kline and Susan Taylor. It was a hit but I'm not sure how high it reached on Billboard. The song was never included on any of their U.S. albums but did make it onto their British "Greatest Hits" package.
The single still pops up on eBay and Gemm a lot, and the song is also available on their "Time/I Can Make It With You" 2-fer cd pack. Lofton Kline left the group around 1967; Don and Susan made two more albums then the group split. Susan Taylor is now Taylor Pie and records & performs solo and with various friends. Check her out at: libertyarts.org/index2.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom