Sandpipers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallPaulInKy

I finally dug out my old Sandpipers albums and have started creating a CDR for my own listening. Lots of great stuff there. Too bad there is no Sandpipers discography here at A&M Corner or anyplace else I can find. I had to create my own.

There were two Spanish Albums issued by them, does anyone know what was on them?

Paul--that's one of my future projects, to get a Sandpipers discography up here. But my time being short as it is, I never had a chance at putting anything together. :sad:

Well, I like The Sandpipers, too. I would like to know more about them, myself.

I do tend to look them up Online every now and then!

Dave

Two Spanish albums? I only ever heard of one, called SPANISH ALBUM, which partly consisted of songs from other albums of theirs. What was the other one?

Montana Mike B said:
"Two Spanish albums? I only ever heard of one, called SPANISH ALBUM, which partly consisted of songs from other albums of theirs. What was the other one?"

I really don't know what was on either. I have seen on the Internet for sale listings for "Second Spanish Album". So if that was the title it indicates they did at least two...maybe more.

What you saw was probably a typo of some sort. Since every Sandpipers LP contained numerous songs in Spanish one could be easily confused.

I've heard that they did one more LP after they A&M but have yet to see the actual album or even an image of it.

--Mr Bill
who could throw together a Sandpipers discog in about an hour if one is desired... old school html, of course :wink:

They certainly recorded more material - I have several singles released on Satril in the UK, but I never saw an album post A&M. Doesn't mean they didn't do one, though.

The Sandpipers made only ONE "Spanish Album", called Spanish Album, which consisted of all their 'Spanish songs', from their first four albums...

I think some European-pressings have dubbed the album-title, The Sandpipers Sing In Spanish; maybe that's what the "second" or "other" title is, by someone possibly trying to sell the "same thing" with just a different name on the cover...

Dave

Actually there was a second Spanish Album by The Sandpipers and it appears to be a Eureopean release from 1970. A scan of the cover is at this website.
http://freespace.virgin.net/love.day/coverheaven/pages/y7009.htm

There are many interesting album covers posted here just click forward or back arrows to view them. Press detail and it enlarges the cover for better viewing. All I have seen are European releases.

The songs listed on the cover are Born Free, A Man Without Love, Wave, All My Loving, and Love Is Blue. But I don't have a complete track listing. I thought the cover design was quite nice.

Paul

Well, I'll be... There IS a Second...and it looks a LOT better than the First...! :love:

Yeah, one of the tracks is "Born Free"--something they never recorded on the American albums; something else to "buy" now... :twitchy:

Dave :winkgrin:

You guys are the best! I'd never heard of the Second Spanish Sanpipers album. This forum is the BOMB.
My favorite Sandpiper albums were "Come Saturday Morning", and the one that has "Cuando Minamoro", and Jennifer Juniper.... Wow I must be getting "old timer's disease", not sure of the album title, but it featured a gorgeous cover photo of a young lady in profile, and a dark background with what resembled a wheel behind her, or a door with a wheel design on it. The Spanish Album 1, also had a beautiful cover shot which featured a marina full of yachts or boats. Very nice, in fact they consistently had very good cover photos.

Party Rico,
The name of the Sandpiper album that you are describing with the lovely girl in profile is called "Softly." It's my absolute favorite Sandpipers album of all...I love the songs on it...the first three songs on side one are my favorites which are, 1.Softly 2. Find a Reason to Believe 3. Back on the Street Again...On side two my favorite is the fifth song called "To Put Up With You." I also think Jennifer, Juniper the clever Donovan pastiche is very cute...

I too find the woman on the Softly album cover very intriguing.

Keep Shining,
Boy V.

The Sandpipers' albums are often found on eBay for an affordable price--one of the perks of collecting many of these A&M artists. :) Just a little buyer beware though--I'd bought a few of these and the condition of them were not the greatest. Just take care to pick these up from eBay sellers that deal in vinyl, vs. someone just selling "general" merchandise, and you should do OK.

PartyRico wrote:
"Very nice, in fact they consistently had very good cover photos."

One thing I found out in researching the Sandpipers is that the Pickwick reissue of the Come saturday Morning album, which I purchased new many years ago when it was issued is actually a better job (coverwise) than the original A&M issue. I knew the Pickwick album left several songs off (Santo Domingo, He's Got The Whole World In His Hands, Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls Theme). There is a whole seperate thread on Pickwick reissues elsewhere here at A&M Corner. I purchased an original A&M pressing of Come saturday Morning to get the missing songs and to my surprise, the back cover is totally different. The A&M copy has the standard dark black and white cover used on many A&M albums and just a list of songs with an out of focus (or high contrast) black and white picture. The Pickwick reissue used a slightlu different croped copy of the picture on the front cover in full color. And in addition to just a listing of songs, there is a history of the Sandpipers written by Jeff Beegle.
Needless to say I was a little disappointed when I got the A&M release and it didn't look as nice. This probably a rare situation where the low cost LP is packaged better than the full priced version. I know for some of the A&M reissues Pickwick created whole new sleeves to make the more contemporary.

Pickwick reissues of A&M material may be something the average fan may have overlooked.

I will pile on to Rudy's comment about buying LPs of A&M artists from eBay. You can also get some unusual foreign releases. My personal copy of the Wonder Of You album is from Germany and called, KUMBAYAH. It's the same songs and cover art, just a different title. However I believe I saw on ebay where someone was selling an Italian pressing of the Softly album, with two songs sung in Italian. I've seen South African pressings for sale on there also.

A&M apparently was very heavy into the international market.

Paul,
Thanks for the information. I would buy that for the two Italian versions in a heartbeat....do you remember which songs were sung in Italian? I am also curious if you can remember what the winning bid amount for that album was?

Just Curious,
Boy V. ("jim")

Boy_Viramundo said:
I would buy that for the two Italian versions in a heartbeat....do you remember which songs were sung in Italian?

Just Curious,
Boy V. ("jim")

I remember seeing a '45' of "Let Go (sung in Italian)" at GEMM... My educated guess would be a song like "That Night" or "Yellow Days" or even "Windmills Of Your Mind" could be the others...

Paul, you sure have/know about Sandpipers records, that I sure don't...!! :thumbsup:

Dave

I have no money invested here, and I hope Rudy doesn't mind me passing this along. It was a dealer in Italy that wanted $19 a little too deep for my pockets.
The more I read about the international appeal for this group it is a shame the lame compilations that A&M came up with over the years. Seems like they wanted to put beatles oldies on Sandpipers Greatest Hits Lps. Even Foursider had three Beatles album cuts.

The following album did not sell and is probably still available.
Just search Sandpipers Closed items and you will find:
SANDPIPERS-SUCCESSI.LP.Italy.69'Feat.2 songs in Italian
LP. THE SANDPIPERS
Title : I SUCESSI DEI SANDPIPERS
Label & catalog number : A&M RECORDS POP 79
Country , year : ITALY - 1969
Conditions : cover MINT- / disc NEAR MINT
STRICTLY GRADED.
Notes : 12 songs performed by The Sandpipers in their pleasing unmistakable plof of acoustic sounds and a romantic singing in Anglo-Spanish ; but two songs which are in Italian.

Side 1
1- QUANDO M'INNAMORO (in Italian)
2- GUANTANAMERA
3- LOUIE , LOUIE
4- STRANGERS IN THE NIGHT
5- ANGELICA
6- YESTERDAY
Side 2
7- CUANDO SALI DE CUBA
8- LA BAMBA
9- STASERA GLI ANGELI NON VOLANO (in Italian)
10- MICHELLE
11- FLY ME TO THE MOON
12- AND I LOVE HER

TallPaul said:
There were two Spanish Albums issued by them. Does anyone know what was on them?

Here is the long-overdue list of songs which were on 'The Sandpipers -- SPANISH ALBUM' or 'The Sandpipers -- ...SING IN SPANISH':

From GUANTANAMERA: Guantanamera, Louie, Louie, La Bamba, Strangers In The Night, Enamorado

From THE SANDPIPERS: Yesterday (Ayer), Michelle

From MISTY ROSES: Cuando Sali De Cuba, Lleve Me A La Luna (Fly Me To The Moon), Y La Quiero (And I Love Her)

From SOFTLY: Canción De Amor (Wanderlove), Ojos De España (Spanish Eyes)

Dave

Muchas Gracias to Boy Viramundo (Jim) for the info on the Sandpipers. Yes you are quite right "Softly" is a top notch recording. I used to own it on Open Reel. (Wonderful sound, for it's time.) Sadly the humidiy and heat here slowly destroyed the tapes. ( I don't own a humidity/a.c. controlled tape vault like A&M had.) I've never seen that one re-issued on CD, have you? I'd love to have that one, and Come Saturday Morning....beautiful exquisite music. The Sandpipers were very underrated, I feel. Thanks again, and warm regards to all A&Mers from Puerto Rico.:cool:

You're welcome-- Party Rico,

From the searches I've done "Softly" doesn't appear to be on cd which is too bad. I wish it was on cd also. If so, I would buy it and never regret it!
I do listen to my lp now and then. I'm glad I never got rid of that record!

Have you ever heard of the "Charytin Goyco," otherwise known as just "Charytin?" She's from Puerto Rico. I know she has a talk show now...but my interest is in collecting her records. I saw her as Lani Hall's Spanish/English translator for the 2nd or 3rd Muy Especial show (mid 80's) from Mexico...she sang a little song with Lani and I thought she seemed so utterly classy...(just like Lani) and it seems virtually impossible to find any of her old singing albums...So far, I've won three eBay bids and own these Charytin records:

Calor (1979) a little disco-ey...still some goodies on there though
De Regreso al Pasado (1987) - - some real classy songs on this one, my fave!
Guitarras Y Violines (1984) - - perhaps my least favorite of the three...but still good and I'm glad I own it.

If you know where or how I could obtain more of her old music, I would be grateful.
thankyou!
boy v.

To Boy Viramundo.... Yes I'll be happy to check out a couple of local stores here. Many moons ago, I was exiting a restaurant in Old San Juan, and Charytin was sitting by herself at a table. I had my 35mm camera, and asked her if I could take one photo. She smiled and said "Si Claro". I took one frame and it turned out great. Give me a few days, and I'll get back to you. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom