Sandy and When It's Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigGA

I cannot believe these two inferior songs are on the Essential upcoming release. These are among the weakest songs of the Carpenters, and I can think of others I would rather new fans hear. I know it is pointless to discuss it, but I just had to somewhat vent. When It's Gone is the only Carpenters song I wish was never recorded so that I would not have to consistently skip over it when listening to compilations. That song just goes on and on and on and it appears on everything. I wish it was GONE.

Craig

Interesting you dislike both songs , these are amongst Richard's favourites as Album tracks....

Perhaps because Sandy is a personal song from Richard's romantic past ....it is included on Treasures and several other sets ?

Richard regards When It's Gone as an Arrangers song , no doubt this is the reason behind the original MIA inclusion and that it is different to all the other songs on the Album :o

I play both occasionally , when in the right mood , I often view Sandy as two songs in one composition rather like Another Song and both only partly work...... :confused:

Richard would probably be bemused at your anger , no doubt both were included to offer Non -Singles and a few different Album tracks :o

Which tracks would you prefer :?:

Peter

I agree -"Sandy" and "When its gone" don't belong on the boxed set,but these are not their worst recordings.Karen's vocals on "sandy" are absolutely flawless!To be honest,I can't believe that oldies medley from NOW AND THEN is included on the set ,or even considered "essential".It is horribly dated."Calling occupants" and "sweet sweet smile" are also 2 of their worst cuts.These bubblegum songs undermine karen's status as a great vocalist and would be better off out of print.(Incidentally,I'm surprised NOW AND THEN is still in print-with "yesterday once more" and "this masquerade" available on so many compilations,why would anyone want that album?)

:o Wow! I like both songs! Especially "When It's Gone." In fact, I think it is one of Karen's finest performances! It's a great "mood" song. Maybe it is my stereo system, but it is one of those songs that sounds like Karen is "sitting in my lap" while singing it (to quote Mr. Alpert). Also, the arrangement is great. The acoustic guitars really add to the song. Actually, it is one of my favorites on MIA. My personal favorite from MAI remains "Strength of a Woman," however. I have never grown tired of that one.

"Sandy" is one of those songs that I would never expect to like, but find that I enjoy it very much. Especially when Karen sings "...your eyes can see clearer than mine..," the high point, IMHO. In addition, the instrumental on Richard's solo PACC is a highlight on that CD too.

If I had to pick the worst songs ever, "Goofus" and "Breaking Up is Hard to Do" fill the bill. I don't know what Richard was thinking recording those two.

SANDY is one of my favorite Non-Singles. Though it isn't a hit, it's lyrics and music are very warm and romantic, and Karen sings it beautifully. I especially like the verse "as if my life began again, hearing your name" and "an hour with you would chase the winter away".

WHEN IT'S GONE has interesting lyrics ("I'll put it back in my pocket, it was never meant to last"), but the melody isn't interesting at all, and it's far too long. So, no song for a compilation, I agree.

SWEET SWEET SMILE is one of my favorite Carpenters hits. Yes, it's very catchy and upbeat, but thanks God it is! So many Carpenters songs are melancholic and even depressive, so some fun songs are very welcome, I think.

In fact, SWEET SWEET SMILE was a very big hit here in Germany in 1978, I think the biggest hit after POSTMAN. Karen and Richard performed it in a German television show in 1978, where they met ABBA, who sang THANK YOU FOR THE MUSIC. That's the way Karen and Richard got to know this song, and later recorded it themselves.

CALLING OCCUPANTS is fantastic: The idea of the song, the bombastic arrangement by Richard and the big orchestration by Peter Knight are just great. Something else, indeed! I especially like the remix of this one.

Sandy is a wonderful song. Karen's vocal is dark and haunting and that instrumental solo at the end is spectacular.
When It's Gone is a lesser favorite- but it's not that bad of a song.

mr J. said:
I agree -"Sandy" and "When its gone" don't belong on the boxed set,but these are not their worst recordings.Karen's vocals on "sandy" are absolutely flawless!To be honest,I can't believe that oldies medley from NOW AND THEN is included on the set ,or even considered "essential".It is horribly dated."Calling occupants" and "sweet sweet smile" are also 2 of their worst cuts.These bubblegum songs undermine karen's status as a great vocalist and would be better off out of print.(Incidentally,I'm surprised NOW AND THEN is still in print-with "yesterday once more" and "this masquerade" available on so many compilations,why would anyone want that album?)

Not many Fans would describe Occupants or Smile as bubblegum songs....both provide more evidence of Carpenters wide range of songs and talent with different genres..... :)

Is the Oldies Medley that dated ? I have always loved Now &Then due to the concept of oldies and more recent compositions performed in their unique style.
I find the medley a masterful display of Karen and Richard's vocal , instrumental , arrangement and production strengths :D
When Newcomers or Friends listening to Carpenters seriously for the first time hear N&T , always there is appreciation that these songs sound fresh and are not lifeless covers as with many Groups today !

Equally I enjoy the revised medley on Live in Japan with some great additions minus Pete Henderson's attempted vocals.....!! Plus the magnificent BBC Special with a vibrant and energised Karen plus backing group putting these songs over stunningly :D

There are some Now and Then outtakes in the Vaults , now those would be fascinating to have released on the next Rarities / Box Set ..... :D

Radio Contest Outtakes and 1970 Interview DO NEED TO BE DELETED
AS UNNECESSARY and replaced by other more revealing interviews and Studio talk-ins..... :o

Peter....Now & Then not just two songs.....

There is only one reason for Now and Then. Recently, I had a friend purchase it. If you listen to the remastered classics album, Karen's choral vocal sound is heard with different voice parts coming from different speakers, as if it was the quad version, and it provides for a crisp, refreshing sound. After all, it was Karen's voice that sold records. This is not heard in any of the re-mixed sets.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom