🎄 Holidays! Santa Claus is Comin' To Town: Single or Album version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The album version for me, because the sax is so much smoother. The original 1974 sax break is a bit too busy, particularly when it first comes in and before Karen comes back in. It just jars with the otherwise laid back, sensual feel of the song. The 1984 mix really nails it.

The original single mix for me. It's the one that was an actual hit on radio back in the '70s, so it's the one I became comfortable hearing. I've owned the original promo 45 since it first appeared, with a stereo version on one side and a mono version on the flip.

The problem with the stereo version was that it was HAECO-CSG'ed, giving it that off-balanced feel to it, especially with headphones. Thankfully the Japanese Single Box version has a proper stereo image, and that remains the only CD source of the mix, even though it's widely believed that they sourced it from a single anyway.

When CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT came out and I read the track list and saw "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town along with "Merry Christmas Darling" I was thrilled, thinking I'd finally get these on nice album vinyl, but it turned out that both disappointed: "Merry Christmas Darling" was a re-do, and "Santa Claus..." was an interlude version on the album by the backup singers.

When AN OLD-FASHIONED CHRISTMAS came along, again I saw the "Santa..." song in the list, and again I was disappointed as it was a quite different remix. That sax solo always sounds wrong to me, and the tinkly celeste-sound added made the record just a bit too "cute."

FROM THE TOP finally solved the "Merry Christmas Darling" dilemma with a CD release of the original single mix of that song, and the trend continued with ESSENTIAL COLLECTION, but "Santa Claus..." remained among the missing in digital form. But every year, I'd dig out my 45 and give it a spin to hear the "hit" version.

I almost fear that the original single mix master is really missing, unless Richard saved a copy. The fact that the Japanese had to use a single to master their CD is somewhat telling, and the rumors from the Universal fire do not make me feel any better in that regard.

Harry

I don't remember hearing the single in the 70's, but was very excited to hear the song on AOFC. I do have almost all of the singles now, including "Santa Claus..." so I guess I also need to dig out my 45 and give it a listen.
Jonathan

I prefer the Original of Santa Claus is Coming to Town, because I had the 45rpm with the picture sleeve of Santa. That will always be my favorite mix.

I like both versions, but seeing Carpenters perform it on 'The Perry Como Christmas Show' when it aired in December, 1974, has always brought me back to the single version each year.

This should have been a poll!!

For me, the single version. The mono 45 version is my favorite. There should have been an official video for this, Karen and Santa, oh the possibilities. :santawave:

This should have been a poll!!

For me, the single version. The mono 45 version is my favorite. There should have been an official video for this, Karen and Santa, oh the possibilities. :santawave:

I realized that mistake (that this should have been a poll) a day later or so! Sorry guys! I would have loved a video for it, but at least we have the Perry Como special.

What a treat to see the Perry Como performance with the intro of Jack Benny as Santa! I have not seen this vernon until now. The little kid who says "buy toys?!" is priceless, and appears to be spontaneous and unrehearsed. Love it, thanks for posting.

Ditto here - Single version - c'mon - You Loved It ! the first time you heard it and the first time is the best time~! :)

This Christmas I Purchased the LP "Mancini Selects Great Songs of Christmas" from 1975 for a couple of dollars.
The Carpenters' ballad rendition of Santa is absolutely awesome on this record.
It differs a bit from the existing CD versions, and is not exactly the same as the 1974 vinyl single.
This quickly became my favorite (It does have the original sax solo).
An awesome recording.

From the Official RichardandKarenCarpenter webpage:
In November 1974, Karen and Richard released a shimmering ballad version of “Santa Claus Is Coming To Town,” a holiday staple since 1934.
Richard’s torchy arrangement was as unexpected as his 1969 ballad interpretation of the Beatles’ “Ticket To Ride.”
Karen and Richard recorded the basic track and the lead vocal in 1972,
and added brass, strings, the sax solo and background vocals two years later.
They sang the song on a Perry Como Christmas special aired on Dec. 18, 1974.
On the same show, they performed two pieces that would find their way onto Christmas Portrait.
Karen sang the warm lullaby “Sleep Well, Little Children” and Richard played the brisk piano instrumental “Carol Of The Bells.”

My erroneous assumption for all these years, was that Karen's lead vocal was from 1974.
My ears must deceive me, as it sure sounds like the 1974 Karen, as she was a bit 'softer' in 1972 (or, so I presumed).
Anyone know who drums on this tune? Barry Morgan? Karen Carpenter? Hal Blaine?
Is the Como Television show the same lead vocal from 1972 ? The description reads as if they "sang" the piece anew.

Forgive my questions, as I overcome my ignorance regarding these details.
As Columbo would say ..."Just one more thing"...

I'm with Harry. I prefer the original recordings of both "Merry Christmas Darling" (love Karen's smokier, more soulful voice) and "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" (has more of a Singers Unlimited jazzy "punch" to it).

According to the Sweet Sixteen Notes (40th Box Set):
"Santa Claus is Coming To Town" is a One-Take Vocal Lead by Karen.
Now, the actual notes to the Album, in that set, do not say if the
lead vocal , by Karen, was recorded in 1974 --or 1972--except for remixing the introduction,
having something to do with unrecorded harmony parts.
But, there is the above information from the official website saying the lead was cut in 1972.
Thus, I remain befuddled. (Forgive me!)
So, exactly what part(s) of this song were recorded in 1972 ?
And,1974?...And 1984?

On the topic of Album versions, here is a small note from page 18, Billboard Magazine, November 15,1975:
Mancini Featured on Goodyear Album
" Goodyear Tires' annual Christmas Album, one of the nation's biggest holiday promotions,
has gone to Henri Mancini and RCA Records after 14 years with Bing Crosby and Columbia.
Mancini will do all TV spots for the $1.50 anthology sold in some 6600 tire stores nationwide.
Henri Mancini selects Great Songs of Christmas will feature, besides Mancini's own cuts, songs
by the Carpenters, Perry Como, Ella Fitzgerald, Julie Andrews, Kate Smith and...Bing Crosby."

NB: If you are able to locate a copy, I highly recommend this Christmas Album. It is usually quite cheap on ebay.
The Carpenters ballad version of Santa Claus is Coming To Town,as presented on this album,
will 'blow you away'. Again, Karen and Richard offered the very best of both their talents in this production.

As with most of these questions, I prefer the original. It was more lively, had more energy to it. The only re-recording they did which I think improved upon the original was "Ticket to Ride"; in all other cases I prefer the originals.

yes! the original surely had the CLASSIC sound and ring to it ~~ there is NOTHING like the FIRST time of hearing it ~~~

I like both versions, but seeing Carpenters perform it on 'The Perry Como Christmas Show' when it aired in December, 1974, has always brought me back to the single version each year.
just occurred to me that Karen and Richard kind of had their own specials beginning with Como's, which means they basically began making them in
'75 Como special (i know xmas '74, but basically '75)
'76 first special, then '
77 Space and
'77 Christmas, then
'78 Christmas Portrait, then
'80 Music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom