Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Amy Grant
HOME FOR CHRISTMAS

A&M 540 001-2

51qKMGnhghL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Released in 1992 on A&M as 540 001, it's been re-issued a number of times on varying labels including as a 20th Century Masters BEST OF AMY GRANT, The Christmas Collection. Most currently it's in the EMI family on Sparrow Records.

Track Listing:

1 Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (H.Martin-R.Blane) 2:37
2 It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year (E.Pola-G.Wyle) 2:27
3 Joy To The World / For Unto Us A Child Is Born (Handel-Watts) 2:33
4 Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song) (C.Eaton-A.Grant) 5:30
5 O Come All Ye Faithful (PD) 3:01
6 Grown-up Christmas List (D.Foster-L.Jenner) 5:04
7 Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree (Johnny Marks) 2:08
8 Winter Wonderland (Felix Bernard-Dick Smith) 2:17
9 I'll Be Home For Christmas (W.Kent-K.Gannon-B.Ram) 3:28
10 The Night Before Christmas (Carly Simon) 3:52
11 Emmanuel, God With Us (A.Grant-C.Eaton-R.Marshall) 4:57
12 Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (Bach-Marsh) 4:48

Performers: Amy Grant, American Boychoir, London Studio Orchestra

Produced by: Brown Bannister for RBI Productions
Executive Producers: Amy Grant and Michael Blanton
* Tracks Engineered by: Bill Deaton
Assisted by: Patrick Kelly, Rich Indelicato, Gregg Parker
Tracked at: Omnisound , Nashville, TN, except for "I'll Be Home For Christmas" tracked at Javelina/RCA, Nashville, TN.
* Overdubs Enginnered by Steve Bishir at The Dugout, Nashville, TN; Record One, Sherman Oaks, CA; Tejas, Franklin, TN; Quad Studios, Nashville, TN
Additional Engineering by Michael O'Reilly at Hip Pocket & Hit Factory, New York, NY
Assistant Engineers: Anthony Zecco, Brett Perry, Martin Woodley, Rail Rogut.
* Orchestra Contractor: Nat Peck
Orchestra Sessions Engineered by Adrian Kerridge
Assisted by: James Collins
Recorded at CTS Studios, Wembley, England
Orchestra Conducted by Ronn Huff
* American Boychoir Music Director: James Litton
American Boychoir Recorded at The Hit Factory, New , NY
* Mixed by Bill Schnee at Ocean Way Studios, Hollywood, CA
Assisted by Noel Hazen
Mastered by Doug Sax at The Mastering Lab
Production Coordinator: Traci Sterling
*Art Direction: Rich Frankel/Chuck Beeson
Design: Rebecca Chamlee/Chuck Beeson
Photography: Victoria Pearson Cameron
Personnel: Amy Grant (vocals), Dann Huff, Phil Keaggy, Tom Hemby, Jerry McPherson (guitars), Mark O'Connor (violin), Clare Fischer (piano), Chris Eaton (piano, background vocals), Shane Keister (piano, keyboards), Robbie Buchanan, Blair Masters (keyboards), Carl Marsh (synthesizers, keyboards), Craig Nelson, David Hungate (bass), Harold Jones, Paul Leim, Chris McHugh (drums), Steve Forman (percussion), Marty McCall, Marabeth Jordon, Bonnie Keen, Jessica Owen, Kristina Owen, Carrie Gardner, Lisa Partin, Asher Larrison, Emily Estes, Bethany Wright, Skyla Carnahan, Katy Dunham, Ellie Bannister (background vocals).

Typically here at A&M Corner we delve into the older "classic" albums from A&M's formative years. But I thought I'd do an album of the week type of format for an album that's well into its second decade, but still a relative newcomer, Amy Grant's HOME FOR CHRISTMAS.

I've run across a couple of tracks from this album over the years, but had never owned an actual copy of it until recently when I found one of those 20th Century Masters albums titled THE BEST OF AMY GRANT. This was a straight re-pressing of the 1992 album back in 2003 with pretty much the same cover art.

415TN0JEKJL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Needless to say, I'm a novice coming into this album and would like to hear opinions and comments from those of our members who are familiar with it.

I've heard a couple of tracks from it on the all-Christmas radio stations, and really like "It's The Most Wonderful Time" and "Winter Wonderland" a lot. I think this album will get some regular time in my own Christmas music playings each year.

Harry

OK, here's a question....besides Amy, Herb, Carpenters, and the infamous SOMETHING FESTIVE, how many specifically Christmas albums has A&M releases? Is there a list?

There are three Very Special Xmas albums that I know of...and IMHO, the first one is mediocre at best, and the other two very forgettable. I just can't get into most modern-recorded Xmas music these days. I own over 100 Xmas CDs and probably only like about two dozen of them...

Thanks to Harry for venturing 'outside the box' for a more recent A&M album which is, IMHO, an excellent offering from Amy and without a doubt, her all-time best Christmas album.

Tony

This album was a disappointment to me, coming after her previous Christmas album (titled A CHRISTMAS ALBUM). That one had more adventurous song choices and arrangements and was more of a pop/rock album where this one is a very safe, straightforward Christmas album -- which there are plenty of already! I thought there was too much balladry on this one. But, that's just me...people who like the soft side of Amy will probably like this one more, as Tony did.

All that said, I really like the song "Breath of Heaven." This is the best recorded version of the song I've heard.

Amy's done a third Christmas album for A&M as well - I can't remember the name....but I agree with everything Mike says-=--

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
Amy's done a third Christmas album for A&M as well - I can't remember the name....but I agree with everything Mike says-=--
The album was called "A Christmas To Remember", and that album was the one that I found disappointing. I think I only listened to it once or twice before filing it away.

I actually rather enjoy Home For Christmas, and play it at least once each holiday season, along with Amy's first Christmas album (which is the best of the lot to my ears). My favorite song is "Breath Of Heaven", followed by "Grown Up Christmas List".

I haven't found confirmation online anywhere that either of the other two albums were released on A&M. Do those of you who have them know for sure that they were A&M releases?

My impression from quick readings on the Internet was that the first Christmas album from Amy might have been on a smaller label, and that her third album came out after she'd left A&M.

Again, I don't know as I'm new to all of this, having just heard many of her songs in concentrated form on the all-Christmas radio station piqued my interest.

Harry

I just checked my Amy Grant Christmas CDs, and the first one is on the RCA label, and the third is on the MYRRH label. Only "Home For Christmas" was released on A&M.

I seem to recall that after A&M signed Amy and picked up other Word releases for distribution, the logo on it changed depending on where you bought the album. I remember seeing Michael W. Smith albums, some with A&M logo, some with Word, and the same with Amy...her first Christmas album was technically before the A&M deal, and the third may have been after, though I thought I remembered seeing it with an A&M logo - I may be wrong!......she kept putting out A&M imprint CDs until fairly recently, though......

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
I remember seeing Michael W. Smith albums, some with A&M logo, some with Word, and the same with Amy...her first Christmas album was technically before the A&M deal, and the third may have been after, though I thought I remembered seeing it with an A&M logo - I may be wrong

Amy's first Christmas album was A&M SP 5057, originally released on Myrrh (Word) Records in 1983. A&M picked up the distribution in late '84 or early '85. After A&M's contract ran out, RCA picked up the deal for secular outlets. Of course, if you go to a Christian book/CD store and order this album, it will be a Word-related copy (Myrrh, Word, or maybe even Sparrow).

FYI,
Tony

I love Amy's vocal, reminds me alot of Karen in ways. I voted for Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song). Perfect song for Christmas and Amy's version is just amazing, other artists have also recorded this but noone can compare to Amy's version.

Recently I found Amy's newest Christmas CD The Christmas Collection on iTunes store and bought the newest song I Need a Little Silent Night, the words can really speak to us around the holidays, everything is rush rush rush and sometimes we need to slow down and we do need a little silent night. I identify alot with Amy's song and her lyrics. I like the words in this song that go, "December comes then disappears, faster and faster every yr, Did my own mother keep this pace or was the world a different place" "look at us now, rushing around trying to buy Christmas peace"

WOW such powerful words and so true. She's a great singer who I admire alot.

Because the topic came up:

Yes, all three of Amy Grant's Christmas albums saw release on the A&M label.

Her first one, A Christmas Album, was originally issued on the Myrrh label in 1983 (MSB-6768) and was available almost exclusively in the Christian music market. When A&M signed Amy for the secular market. it re-released A Christmas Album in 1985 (SP-5057). A&M even released a 45 of "Tennessee Christmas" off the LP, with a picture sleeve. In 1991, because of a change of rights for the secular market, the album was reissued on the Reunion label (REND-24397) under Geffen distribution. Only two years later, Reunion's distribution changed to the RCA label, and thus it was issued with yet another catalog number (07863 66259 2). In the Christian market, it remained on Myrrh (as best as I can determine).

The second one is the primary subject of this thread. Notice that it was the very first numbered CD after PolyGram changed the first five numbers of A&M bar codes from "75021" to "31454." A&M also issued a 45 of "Grown-Up Christmas List" from this album. (The song had been introduced by David Foster in 1990 with vocals by Natalie Cole.) In the Christian market, the CD was issued on the Myrrh label (701 6962 61X).

The third one, A Christmas to Remember, was issued on the A&M imprint in 1999 (069 490 462 2). A special version sold only at Target stores (069 490 501 2) features Amy doing the Carpenters' classic "Merry Christmas Darling" as a "hidden" bonus after "Agnus Dei." It is contained in a long "gap" between that song and a three-second track of silence at the end of the CD. In the Christian market, this CD was issued on Myrrh (80688600723).

In 2007, all three of these CDs were reissued on EMI/Sparrow under license from Amy Grant, who has gained control of her entire back catalog.

Today, with most of the big Christian labels owned by the majors, and with Christian sellers finally adopting the UPC and ditching their own bar-code system they had used since the mid-1980s, the same CDs on the same labels are sold in both Christian and secular markets.

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
OK, here's a question....besides Amy, Herb, Carpenters, and the infamous SOMETHING FESTIVE, how many specifically Christmas albums has A&M releases? Is there a list?
In addition to the Very Special Christmas series, there is also the soundtrack to the movie Scrooged (SP-3921), from 1988.

Also, there was a version of Al Green's White Christmas, originally issued on Myrrh for the Christian market, on Myrrh/A&M (WR-8117) for the secular market.

Finally, the 2008 Sheryl Crow Home for Christmas CD, the one you can buy at Hallmark, is on that store's label, but in the credits is "(P) 2008 A&M Records".

Tim Neely said:
Because the topic came up:
The third one, A Christmas to Remember, was issued on the A&M imprint in 1999 (069 490 462 2). A special version sold only at Target stores (069 490 501 2) features Amy doing the Carpenters' classic "Merry Christmas Darling" as a "hidden" bonus after "Agnus Dei." It is contained in a long "gap" between that song and a three-second track of silence at the end of the CD. In the Christian market, this CD was issued on Myrrh (80688600723).

I missed out on that special version at Target, although I have her original CD, I always wanted that bonus track. In 2005 there was a compilation strangley released at Radio Shack (Electronic Store) titled Amy Grant My Best Christmas issued on the YMC Records Label (Your Music Channel) for something like $5.00 or $7.00 wasn't very much. I rushed over to purchase it. This compilation contains the track "Merry Christmas Darling" not issued as a bonus but as track #7, this compilation was very nicely put together and includes all of her hits, here is a link that shows more about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Best_Christmas

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
In 2005 there was a compilation strangley released at Radio Shack (Electronic Store) titled Amy Grant My Best Christmas issued on the YMC Records Label (Your Music Channel) for something like $5.00 or $7.00 wasn't very much. I rushed over to purchase it. This compilation contains the track "Merry Christmas Darling" not issued as a bonus but as track #7, this compilation was very nicely put together and includes all of her hits.
That was a terrific compilation, and yes, that is the other source for "Merry Christmas Darling."

Interestingly, that Grant CD was the only one of the six YMC CDs sold at Radio Shack in 2005 that was not reissued in 2006 by Universal as part of the "20th Century Masters: The Christmas Collection" series.

Montana Mike said:
All that said, I really like the song "Breath of Heaven." This is the best recorded version of the song I've heard.

You should hear the version our church Praise Band does. Our lead guiarist's 13 year-old daughter made her solo singing debut on it this past weekend. It sent shivers up my spine!

--Mr. Bill
sadly, no marimba part for me on this one...

Tim Neely said:
A&Mguyfromwayback said:
In addition to the Very Special Christmas series, there is also the soundtrack to the movie Scrooged (SP-3921), from 1988.

Also, there was a version of Al Green's White Christmas, originally issued on Myrrh for the Christian market, on Myrrh/A&M (WR-8117) for the secular market.

Finally, the 2008 Sheryl Crow Home for Christmas CD, the one you can buy at Hallmark, is on that store's label, but in the credits is "(P) 2008 A&M Records".

Thanks! These days it seems every artist does a Christmas album - it must not have been as expected in the 70s and 80s (or else there would have been Jeffrey Osborne, Janet Jackson, the Ozark Mountain Daredevils do the carols, etc. ......:)

......"The Sandpipers have a Guantana-merry Christmas"........Claudine Longet, "Have a Very Breathy Christmas and a Whispered New Year"....."Rosie Vela Goes Home For The Holidays with Steely Dan"..."Cheryl Dilcher Decorates That Crazy Hairdo with Lights and Tinsel"......and of course, "The Cat Stevens/Yusef Islam Christmas/Ramadan Singalong"........

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
......"The Sandpipers have a Guantana-merry Christmas"........Claudine Longet, "Have a Very Breathy Christmas and a Whispered New Year"....."Rosie Vela Goes Home For The Holidays with Steely Dan"..."Cheryl Dilcher Decorates That Crazy Hairdo with Lights and Tinsel"......and of course, "The Cat Stevens/Yusef Islam Christmas/Ramadan Singalong"........

Good stuff!

Harry

Sometime during the last holiday season, after playing the Amy Grant HOME FOR CHRISTMAS album a number of times, I must have gotten curious about the "Merry Christmas, Darling" recording by her, as I seem to have that Radio Shack disc on the shelf this year, but don't recall ever listening to it.

It was probably a late-season eBay purchase that arrived long after the holiday season, so I filed it away for another year. Well, here we are!

So this year I calculated that the "new" tracks (to me) on this MY BEST CHRISTMAS album would just fit on a regulation CD with the HOME FOR CHRISTMAS album, so that's what I did.

I'm still enjoying Amy's stuff. In fact, "Winter Wonderland" is playing as I write this on one of the all-Christmas radio stations.

Harry

Back
Top Bottom