🎄 Holidays! Season's Greetings!

Kind of odd that the whole list is in alphabetical order (by last name of the group leader, in the case of groups) UNTIL you get to the very end, where Lee Michaels and Carpenters are tacked on. I wonder if whoever set the ad up accidentally left those two names out and they had to squeeze them in? Even the line spacing at that area of the ad is different than the rest.

Whatever the case, season's greetings everyone!

I confess: I added Carpenters to the list, just because they are so popular around here. And I had to squeeze a bit of space by moving Lee Michaels up a smidge. And Sergio Mendes doesn't fit with the alphabetical order unless you're going by the S in Sergio.

The ad was likely made before 1970 - in fact, it's from 1967

Nice work, then! I figured they put Herb at the top because "he's the boss," but then I noticed his last name also comes first alphabetically. I suppose with Sergio maybe they were just going by the "entire" name of the act.

It's still a mystery why Lee Michaels was at the bottom though!

I have questions about these inclusions:

Ruthann Friedman - wrote "Windy" but that seems to be her big claim to fame. I don't really see an A&M connection.

Johnny Mandel - wrote "The Shadow Of Your Smile" and "Emily" along with the M*A*S*H theme. A&M connection?

"Shipley & Brewer" - I think more commonly known as "Brewer & Shipley"

"Roger Nichols" - is missing from the "Small Circle Of Friends"

and as Mike noticed, Lee Michaels seemed to be an afterthought. But that could be due the timing of his signing vs. when the ad was put together?

This was a trade ad put in Billboard. Our Steve S. posted it originally along with other promotional trade ads.

It seems odd to have "The Parade" listed when the album was never released.
I guess that Procol Harum and Brewer and Shipley had been signed at this time but their releases came later on.

Johnny Mandel - wrote "The Shadow Of Your Smile" and "Emily" along with the M*A*S*H theme. A&M connection?
He has decades of arranging credits throughout the music industry, but I can't recall him ever doing arrangements on any of the earlier A&M records.

Back
Top Bottom