Seeing Herb In A Few Weeks

Shane

I'm heading to Bakersfield in a few weeks to see Herb Alpert. I've never seen a show of his before, and I was wondering what to expect. How much TJB material does he include in the show, or is it just a quick medley?

Prepare to have your socks knocked off! :wink: The Band is really tight and has a ton of energy goin' on. They've added a large video screen as a backdrop and it changes throughout the show. A lot is video from their archives and some is Herb's art.
There were 3 videos that Herb & the Band played live. The TJB Medley is about 6 minutes and in Hartford last week, the audience did a great job singing along with "This Guy..."
Enjoy the show!

I wish they would come back to Montana again. Their show in Bozeman a few years ago apparently did very well, although I wasn't able to go. I've sent a couple of "suggestions" to the Alberta Bair Theater in Billings - which would be a dynamite venue to hear them in - and Billings has a healthy jazz fanbase - but so far, no luck.

A little review I thought I'd write here...

So. I'm back from seeing the show. Going in, I had no clue what to expect. Really my only thought was that I wanted to see Herb Alpert while he was still performing. I have to admit I envisioned myself sitting in a mostly empty venue with a sparse sprinkling of people over 75. I mean, this was not just because of the performer, but also because this was well... Bakersfield California.

The first shock came about 5 minutes before showtime when I turned around from my 3rd row seat. The 1600 seat outdoor arena was PACKED clear to the very back rows. There were people younger than my 39-year-old self there. I recalled the back cover of the Whipped Cream album where it talks about the people who attend these shows... the teens, the squares, the little old ladies... yup, they were all there.

The band was fantastic right out of the gate. I have to say this was one of the most appreciative audiences I've ever witnessed, and this energy was being shared back and forth between the audience and band the whole time. Herb charmed the audience with some stories about his career and quite a few jokes that were truly funny. Lani Hall is a fantastic singer as well. What's amazing to me is how their talents are undiminished due to time... both of them sound just as good as they did 50 years ago. And I could only hope to be married to someone for 40 years and still be that cute of a couple.

It was noted that the proceeds from the concert were being donated to charity... it's always a wonderful thing to see someone performing for the sheer love of it. Towards the end of the show, Herb said something to the effect that "You might not remember a single song we played tonight, but what matters is the way it made you feel." That really stuck with me. And so did the feeling. This was one of the best concerts I've ever attended. If you have the opportunity, do yourself a favor and go.

I'm heading to Bakersfield in a few weeks to see Herb Alpert. I've never seen a show of his before, and I was wondering what to expect. How much TJB material does he include in the show, or is it just a quick medley?
When you see him, could you please ask Herb to kindly reissue, on CD, Wild Romance, Under a Spanish Moon and My Abstract Heart.

All three of those albums are fairly easy to find from prior issues on CD back in the A&M days.

I recalled the back cover of the Whipped Cream album where it talks about the people who attend these shows... the teens, the squares, the little old ladies... yup, they were all there.
I also had that impression back in the mid 70s when I saw the tours for You Smile and Coney Island. And they closed both with "Zorba The Greek" which had the whole audience whoopin' and hollerin'. :D

I didn't get a chance to look around the theater in 2009 when they last performed in the area.

I also had that impression back in the mid 70s when I saw the tours for You Smile and Coney Island. And they closed both with "Zorba The Greek" which had the whole audience whoopin' and hollerin'. :D

I didn't get a chance to look around the theater in 2009 when they last performed in the area.
Zorba the Greek could have been called Their Signature Closing theme back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom