Seiko's Christmas

Jarred

I uploaded the first of her two Christmas songs with Richard on YouTube for fans because they weren't on there or on there in decent quality. I'm having trouble making the video for the December Morn (my phone is being wonky), but when I get it up I'll post here. This is also convenient for those who want to hear the two songs but don't want the rest of the album.

Christmas Turned Blue:

I uploaded the first of her two Christmas songs with Richard on YouTube for fans because they weren't on there or on there in decent quality. I'm having trouble making the video for the December Morn (my phone is being wonky), but when I get it up I'll post here. This is also convenient for those who want to hear the two songs but don't want the rest of the album.

Christmas Turned Blue:

Thanks for sharing this Jarred!

Christmas Turned Blue:

Very nice of you Jarred!! Thanks.

Tell me that intro does not sound like something from the Time album. I get that vibe.

Unless I am mistaken, UMG keeps yanking them....so I'll enjoy it while it lasts....

not saying anyone here does, but if anyone uploads a video to YouTube and it get`s pulled, DON`T upload it again and if you get three pulls within a month, your gone, end of!! so be careful :)
Ironically, I`ve never had a single video I`ve made pulled, it`s always been the documentary stuff or it`s been `blocked worldwide` before I`ve even published it. thankfully, I`ve only ever had one video pulled, but the others have just been blocked.

No problem! I think it's the sax that sounds late 80s. The track has this late-50s yet somehow tinge of the 80s in it. December Morn is more "timeless" in sound, more like a Carpenters track.
Yeah it was the sound of the time. Billy Joel's An Innocent Man is another one that comes to mind that has that retro 50's sound in the 80's. Phil Ramone was still producing him at that time and Phil was the master of that 50's and 60's type sound. The Japanese producers were becoming masters of duplicating those classic American rock and pop sounds in their albums as well and some of this Seiko stuff is a shining example of that. The Japanese say that they take the best that the world has to offer and strive to make it their own. It's no wonder they are such big fans of the Carpenters.

The Japanese say that they take the best that the world has to offer and strive to make it their own. It's no wonder they are such big fans of the Carpenters.

That's a fascinating observation. I've always wondered why it was Japan in particular (outside of the states) was the location that they were most popular in. What about the music and Karen's voice spoke to them? It's interesting that Now and Then was bigger than any other album there, and especially because, as one writer of a fascinating piece about them wrote that the album is "one of the greatest pop music album explorations of whiteness in the last half century". Both the music and the quietly haunting cover encapsulate their ethos maybe more than any other album, and it was perhaps this foreignness of All-American whiteness that captivated the Japanese.

That's a fascinating observation. I've always wondered why it was Japan in particular (outside of the states) was the location that they were most popular in. What about the music and Karen's voice spoke to them? It's interesting that Now and Then was bigger than any other album there, and especially because, as one writer of a fascinating piece about them wrote that the album is "one of the greatest pop music album explorations of whiteness in the last half century". Both the music and the quietly haunting cover encapsulate their ethos maybe more than any other album, and it was perhaps this foreignness of All-American whiteness that captivated the Japanese.
The Japanese appreciate art and respect it. It's just their culture. They held her in high regard from the beginning for her talents, and Richard equally for his, which is also rare in the world. While American pop fans tend to just focus on the singer and often can't even tall you the name of the song they have heard a million times, the Japanese are aware of the singer, the band, the composer of the songs, everything. It's part of respecting the artist as much as the art.

The Japanese appreciate art and respect it. It's just their culture. They held her in high regard from the beginning for her talents, and Richard equally for his, which is also rare in the world. While American pop fans tend to just focus on the singer and often can't even tall you the name of the song they have heard a million times, the Japanese are aware of the singer, the band, the composer of the songs, everything. It's part of respecting the artist as much as the art.

I never thought about that either. It makes perfect sense. They appreciate high art, whereas America has always been obsessed with cheaper consumerism, gobbling up the junkier cultural artifacts sold to the masses before moving to the next one. Carpenters had a timeless, totally untrendy sound so even though their public popularity waned after 75/76 theyre music today is recognized for its sophisticated artistic merit.

I never thought about that either. It makes perfect sense. They appreciate high art, whereas America has always been obsessed with cheaper consumerism, gobbling up the junkier cultural artifacts sold to the masses before moving to the next one. Carpenters had a timeless, totally untrendy sound so even though their public popularity waned after 75/76 theyre music today is recognized for its sophisticated artistic merit.
Exactly. Even their military bands are honoring the Carpenters.

Back
Top Bottom