September 2018 rememberances

^^ Sad to hear this news. Burt Reynolds was perhaps the top box office male actor in Hollywood in the mid-1970s. Many a movie my friends and I would go to on Friday nights (in my teenage years), gathering together our pocket change to buy a ticket (back when a movie ticket didn't cost you an arm and leg). We saw all his Smokey & The Bandit movies, Gator McCluskey, etc. He was a very underrated actor IMHO. His roles in Deliverance, The Longest Yard, and later in his career; Boogie Nights, were stellar. Here is a clip of him and Jon Voight from the movie Deliverance. RIP Burt:

(back when a movie ticket didn't cost you an arm and leg

Actually, they still don't. In defense of my industry.....movie ticket prices have pretty much matched the rate of inflation. Theaters, however, from picture to sound to seating, are many orders of magnitude better than they were 30 or 40 years ago.

On the other hand, live concert tickets now often cost 20 times or more what they cost back then -- and that's before you pay "scalper rates" for the best seats -- even though you're getting pretty much the same exact product you did back in the day (except with video screens).

To get back on topic - I was a fan of Burt Reynolds' "good ol' boy" movies, even though they were critically reviled. They were a nice escape from all the political furor of that era, and they were all good ticket sellers until he started doing sequels and just getting too ridiculous with the shtick. It's too bad he was never taken seriously as an actor, even though he really did have some good acting chops. "The Longest Yard" is one of my favorite movies.

Back
Top Bottom