September 2018 rememberances

Discussion in 'A Small Circle of Friends: The Music Forum' started by AM Matt, Sep 6, 2018.

1. AM Matt

AM Matt Well-Known Member Thread Starter

2. AM Matt

3. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

^^ Sad to hear this news. Burt Reynolds was perhaps the top box office male actor in Hollywood in the mid-1970s. Many a movie my friends and I would go to on Friday nights (in my teenage years), gathering together our pocket change to buy a ticket (back when a movie ticket didn't cost you an arm and leg). We saw all his Smokey & The Bandit movies, Gator McCluskey, etc. He was a very underrated actor IMHO. His roles in Deliverance, The Longest Yard, and later in his career; Boogie Nights, were stellar. Here is a clip of him and Jon Voight from the movie Deliverance. RIP Burt:

4. AM Matt

Remember Burt Reynolds from "Tonight Show with Johnny Carson" (1974): Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Carpe diem likes this.
  5. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

Actually, they still don't. In defense of my industry.....movie ticket prices have pretty much matched the rate of inflation. Theaters, however, from picture to sound to seating, are many orders of magnitude better than they were 30 or 40 years ago.

On the other hand, live concert tickets now often cost 20 times or more what they cost back then -- and that's before you pay "scalper rates" for the best seats -- even though you're getting pretty much the same exact product you did back in the day (except with video screens).

To get back on topic - I was a fan of Burt Reynolds' "good ol' boy" movies, even though they were critically reviled. They were a nice escape from all the political furor of that era, and they were all good ticket sellers until he started doing sequels and just getting too ridiculous with the shtick. It's too bad he was never taken seriously as an actor, even though he really did have some good acting chops. "The Longest Yard" is one of my favorite movies.

6. AM Matt

Actor Bill Daily ("I Dream Of Jeannie", "The Bob Newhart Show" & the original "Match Game" CBS & Syndicated) has died at 91 years old on September 4. Bill Daily - Wikipedia Matt Clark Sanford, MI

7. AM Matt

Canadian actor Peter Donat has died at 90 years old on September 10. Peter Donat - Wikipedia Matt Clark Sanford, MI

8. AM Matt

9. AM Matt

10. AM Matt

Singer Chas Hodges has died at 74 years old. Member of British duo Chas & Dave. Chas Hodges - Wikipedia Matt Clark Sanford, MI

11. AM Matt

Former singer Marty Balin (Jefferson Airplane & Jefferson Starship) has died at 76 years old. Marty Balin - Wikipedia Matt Clark Sanford, MI

12. AM Matt

Blues guitarist & singer Otis Rush has died at 84 years old. Otis Rush - Wikipedia Matt Clark Sanford, MI