đź“Ł News Sergio Mendes Documentary (In the Key of Joy)

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
According to a rather poor article that I came across, Sergio's documentary will be available in April - not clear as to where or when. They also had the title wrong - "IN THE SKY OF JOY." I will check with John Scheinfeld for further info.

From Sergio's Facebook page. It looks like unless you are in Brasil or Latin America you will have to wait some more.

Friends, Compatriotas y Amigos, I am thrilled to share the news that a beautiful documentary about my life, SERGIO MENDES IN THE KEY OF JOY will premiere exclusively on
HBO Brasil
on Saturday, April 24 and Tuesday, April 27 on HBO Latinoamérica and
HBO Caribbean
. Please visit the HBO carrier in your locale to confirm broadcast dates, times and access. Filmmaker
John Scheinfeld
(The U.S. vs John Lennon, Chasing Trane: The John Coltrane Documentary) and I had a wonderful time working together and I am so pleased with the film he created, filled with music from end to end. We had a world premiere at the
Santa Barbara International Film Festival
in January 2020, and then the COVID pandemic impacted us all, including getting this film in to theatres. I am so pleased that family and friends in my home country will be the first to see the film, shortly followed by the rest of Latin America. (We’ll have some news for US family and friends in the coming weeks!) Espero que gostem do filme!
o

I saw that announcement elsewhere as well. There are no plans yet to release it anywhere other than in Brazil and other parts of Latin America. I'd think we might see it later in the summer, though, or perhaps autumn.

I received this yesterday from John Scheinfeld:

There’s some good news to share about the Sergio Mendes documentary. Unfortunately, COVID curtailed/delayed distribution of the film which, as you’ll remember, had its world premiere at the 2020 Santa Barbara International Film Festival. However, HBO Latin America has licensed the full-length feature and it will premiere on HBO Brazil on April 24th. It will then be available on HBO in Mexico, all Spanish language speaking countries in the Caribbean, as well as in Central America and South America. Sergio and I will be doing a virtual press tour on April 14th to compliment the big PR push that will be put on by HBO Latin America.

US distribution has been a bit more challenging. The distributor has opted to create and license a short version of the film…60 minutes…to PBS which will premiere in June during the pledge period. Sergio recorded an interview a few weeks back which will become part of the actual pledge breaks. If it performs well, more stations will air it in the August pledge period The full length version will appear on multiple streaming platforms in October. Details are yet to be worked out.

I received this yesterday from John Scheinfeld:

There’s some good news to share about the Sergio Mendes documentary. Unfortunately, COVID curtailed/delayed distribution of the film which, as you’ll remember, had its world premiere at the 2020 Santa Barbara International Film Festival. However, HBO Latin America has licensed the full-length feature and it will premiere on HBO Brazil on April 24th. It will then be available on HBO in Mexico, all Spanish language speaking countries in the Caribbean, as well as in Central America and South America. Sergio and I will be doing a virtual press tour on April 14th to compliment the big PR push that will be put on by HBO Latin America.

US distribution has been a bit more challenging. The distributor has opted to create and license a short version of the film…60 minutes…to PBS which will premiere in June during the pledge period. Sergio recorded an interview a few weeks back which will become part of the actual pledge breaks. If it performs well, more stations will air it in the August pledge period The full length version will appear on multiple streaming platforms in October. Details are yet to be worked out.
Steve--Will the PBS viewing be part of the My Music series produced by TJ Lubinsky? These music shows are fabulous--even the pledge breaks are entertaining.

Don't believe so. They will run a one hour cut of the DOC, so already produced. Sergio taped a segment for PBS to accompany.

It's interesting that Quincy Jones is part of the documentary as I don't think he and Sergio worked together.

Some PBS stations are starting to air the SERGIO Doc starting June 1. A DVD apparently will be a PLEDGE item, but don't know what the donation amount will be. Sergio has indicated that more PBS affiliates are signing on to carry the DOC on a daily basis. Check your local PBS station to see when and they will air it.

It aired here in Sacramento last night late. I DVRd it and we just watched it back. Very nice. Not the tour de force that Herb’s was, but a really solid documentary. My wife is more of a fan than she was 90 minutes ago.

I’d be interested in seeing an uncut version. Allowing for pledge breaks, there couldn’t have been more than 60 minutes of content.

Michael--Approximately what percent of the documentary was from his career preceeding and then including the Brasil 66 & 77 era versus his latest period with rap? The promo trailer on YouTube suggested his current period held sway.

Michael--Approximately what percent of the documentary was from his career preceeding and then including the Brasil 66 & 77 era versus his latest period with rap? The promo trailer on YouTube suggested his current period held sway.
Just ballpark guessing here, but---I'd say it was 15 minutes of Sergio's background, 30 minutes of Brasil '66-'77 and "Never Gonna Let You Go". Then 15 minutes of the current period---which actually allowed me to understand and appreciate what he's been doing and who he's been doing it with more than I have until now.

Just ballpark guessing here, but---I'd say it was 15 minutes of Sergio's background, 30 minutes of Brasil '66-'77 and "Never Gonna Let You Go". Then 15 minutes of the current period---which actually allowed me to understand and appreciate what he's been doing and who he's been doing it with more than I have until now.
Thanks for the info.

It aired here in Sacramento last night late. I DVRd it and we just watched it back. Very nice. Not the tour de force that Herb’s was, but a really solid documentary. My wife is more of a fan than she was 90 minutes ago.

I’d be interested in seeing an uncut version. Allowing for pledge breaks, there couldn’t have been more than 60 minutes of content.
I guess the intention was to run the abridged version on PBS here in the US. I see on the HBO site in Brazil that it is airing regularly (need to use a VPN with a node in Brazil to view the site), but I wasn't able to find any way to view it. The full version is 96 minutes long.

Over the years/decades on PBS stations this seems to be the rule of thumb for music specials during pledge drives: At least 1/2 hour set aside for pledge breaks. So for a music special time slot of 90 minutes, PBS can only squeeze in 60 minutes of actual music. Besides they try to entice people to pledge at a higher rate, and they say if you do we will offer you a full unabridged version of the show. It's a clever sales pitch that seems to work, as this sales pitch has been around for as long as I can remember.

Michael--one more question--does the documentary show any new video from the late 60s and early 70s that we haven't already seen on YouTube?

Michael--one more question--does the documentary show any new video from the late 60s and early 70s that we haven't already seen on YouTube?
lJ: I can't answer that. I haven't spent a lot of time looking for Sergio material on YouTube. Most of what I saw was new to me and in stunningly good quality.

Reactions: lj
Still no showings around me in Florida. I see that Tampa's WEDU has it listed as available to stream for subscribers. If nothing else turns up, I may have to subscribe.

I never saw it listed locally either, but since it's the Reader's Digest condensed version, I have no interest in seeing it.

Back
Top Bottom