Sergio Mendes & BEP On Jay Leno 5/9/06

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve, thank you for the pics. Is there anymore? All I see is Sergio, Leo, Dawn, & Gracinha. Where's the rest of the band? Where are the BEP?

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
Less of the "Black Eyed Peas" and more of the "La La" Girl in the purple skirt. :love: J

I only saw the "La La" girl on stage... was there anyone else? What Black Eyed Peas? Where was Sergio?

That girl was NICE! :D

All the BEP were there - I don't know their names, so I think of them as will.i.am, Fergie (the girl), the guy with the dreadlocks, and the other one.....:).....I don't remember a percussionist, but I may be wrong. I do recall Sergio, Gracinha, Dawn, Kleber, Leo, Yutaka on keyboards, and Michael on drums, plus the aforementioned vegetables*.

*peas

or wait - WILL is the one with the dreadlocks! There's the one with the long black hair, and then the other one - how about that?..........

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
All the BEP were there - I don't know their names, so I think of them as will.i.am, Fergie (the girl), the guy with the dreadlocks, and the other one.....:).....I don't remember a percussionist, but I may be wrong. I do recall Sergio, Gracinha, Dawn, Kleber, Leo, Yutaka on keyboards, and Michael on drums, plus the aforementioned vegetables*.

*peas

Hi A&Mguy!I didn't expect you or anyone else to name the BEP but thanks for trying anyway. Well, I'm definitely going to try to catch the reruns this week so I can see Yutaka with Sergio again.I have 2 of his cds BRAZASIA & ANOTHER SUN both brazilian jazz pop efforts and they're both worth listening to.

Som of you are talking about the "lala girl" on Jay Leno, what are you guys talking about anyway? Would Fergie be the "lala girl"?
Are you sure you saw Fergie because Fergie is pregnant and she's due to have her baby anyday now........

I don't think Fergie would be dancing and prancing all over the stage as pregnant as she is.

Well, I thought it was Fergie that I saw singing; I did say "her" Portugese was good, regardless... I added "two percussionists" to my initial post; forgot to post them or maybe I "inadvretently" just failed to acknowledge them... (Or maybe it was really because they didn't quite get the "camera shots" that they should've...)

Anyway, I was impressed enough with the Sergio/Black-Eyed Peas appearance and performance that I hope they'll be on again or that we can "Leave well-enough alone...!" :goofygrin:

Dave

Thank again Steve. I see you have added a few more pictures, these pictures are great Steve! I see you guys are referring to Fergie as the lala girl. I also see that Fergie has indeed has had her baby and she looks BEAUTIFUL!That was my mistake because when Fergie had performed at the Peapod Benefit way back in February she was pregnant( she looked kind of tired that night).Yes I do see the 2 percussionists. However I can't identify them at this point.One looks like Gibi who is Meia Noite's brother.

Fergie was the LaLa girl.

And if it wasn't her because Fergie is preggers, then it was a damn hot, er, I mean damn good look-a-like! :laugh:

--Mr Bill

Could you imagine?... An LA producer goes to Pytor Ilyich Tchaikovsky and says we would like you to perform Symphony No.6 Pathetique on the Jay Leno Show but to keep your material current, we need the Black Eyed Peas to rap over it. Your material needs more of an "urban sound".

Remember “Switched-On Bach”?

Roll over Beethoven, tell Tchaikovsky about the Moog synthesizer.

It's back up on YouTube.com now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeqaot1AFfU&search=sergio mendes

Of course, it might be taken down again any minute, as soon as NBC finds out.

Having seen it, what can I say but: I miss Lani, Karen & Janis... There are tracks I enjoy on "Timeless" ("Samba do Bencao" in particular), but this whole rap thing is about stomp, and I much prefer swing.

--Scott

P.S. If you search for "Sergio Mendes" on YouTube.com, there are several videos worth watching, including Lani & Karen in 1969 doing "Wichita Lineman" and "Ye Me Le".

My little sister made a good point. When she saw the video of SM on Leno she said: "The reason I listen to Sergio Mendes is to get away from rap".

Watching the video a couple of times...with the bass player in a tank top, the rapping with bad rhyming, and even with the "La La Girl", the whole thing was kinda' cheesey. I hope Sergio's live performances continue to be of the high quality of the past. But I admit, I'm old.

{edited by moderator to fix an unfortunate misspelling of the word "rapping"}

Your little sister is a smart girl. And after hearing so much about it the number (and missing the broadcast) to see it live at last, well, your description of it as 'pretty cheesy' is on-target. Though I will say Sergio sure looked like he was enjoying himself!

I'm sorry to see Gracinha and Dawn shoved all the way in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom