Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 and Eartha Kitt--the Complete Guest Shot

lj

This is their complete 13:43 minute guest appearance on Eartha's special, which for the first time includes a viewing of "O Pato" and "Chove Chuva". It is fun to watch. And the color is incredibly sharp.

This looks like the one, but with the giant letters all over it, covering OTHER letters, it all looks like its been copied over and over.

I always get a kick out of lip-synced music.... it's kind of funny how with all those people singing, the only one who had a microphone was Sergio!

I did hear a couple of extra drum beats at the climax of "Mas Que Nada" so they mixed a little live content in with the recording.

My least favorite parts of these kind of things are the fade-outs of the songs -- they always seem so awkward like the band doesn't really know what to do. I'm surprised that somebody didn't have the idea to create a "TV version" of the songs with an actual ending tacked on to the recording, so they would have an ending to sync to.

The overly large non-stop titles really detracted from the content! :sad:
It reminds me of an odd movie. In 1965, William Shatner played the lead role in a horror movie called INCUBUS. It was made by the team that made the TV show, THE OUTER LIMITS. It was filmed in black & white - and the really strange part is that is was filmed in the invented language of Esperanto. The whole film seemed cursed as actors and crew members died shortly after filming it. And the only prints of it were burned and it was thought lost forever.

Except, one print remained in France, where they ran it every weekend like a ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW type of deal. This lone print was hard-coded subtitled in French, so when the SyFy Channel paid for a restoration, all they could do was have BIGGER subtitles in English and they occupy a large part of the lower part of the screen.

Eartha gave Sergio & Co. a lot of time on her special: Three songs with Lani & Janis and two with guest vocalist Eartha!

Just for fun..."O Pato" ( João Gilberto) translated:

O Pato
A duck so happily came singing, Quen, Quen,
A drake who heard her came a-winging, Quen, Quen,
And he invited her to samba, to samba to samba.

O Ganso
A goose who saw the duckies dancing, Quen, Quen,
Called up a swan he’d been romancing, Quen, Quen
Such a quartet you’ve never seen! Look and see what I mean..

By the lagoon they’re swaying
Watch them as they swoon
Underneath the moon
Happy as crows out in the corn

But then the duck let out a curse, he’d made her stumble
The goose thought it was just a game and took a tumble
I laughed as they all lost their cool and fell into the water!
And started shouting all the more:

Quen, Quen, Quen… O Pato.

Back
Top Bottom