• Scarborough Fair

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • When Summer Turns To Snow

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Laia Ladaia (Reza)

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters

Stevenj

In case anyone is looking for a mono FOOL ON THE HILL, I see one on eBay.

It'll cost you about $40 with shipping, but hey, if it's something you really want...
Thank you, Harry. It is too much so I'll wait to find it locally if I can drag my carcass out shopping.

Stevenj

Where are your usual haunts? I miss having Sam's Jams around...
I go to Record Time in Ferndale and Solo Records in Royal Oak. I want to get out to Liberty Records in Ann Arbor, but haven't been to the latest location.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I haven't been to Liberty in several years, and I don't know how many of the used record shops still remain out there. PJ's I think has been gone for a few years now. There was a place on State Street (?) on the second floor of a building near the university, but heck if I can remember the name of it. (I found a used TJB Beat of the Brass there about 20 years ago.) I also miss the old Schoolkids Records on Liberty--they even had their own small record label for a while. (They reissued the two Kingbees albums on CD back in the 90s.)

It's just hard to find the time anymore to go out on record crawls like I used to. We have a newer store within a few blocks of the house, and I haven't ever found time to stop in. There's also Melodies & Memories nearby (huge store--it's a place I could spend a couple of hours in), and Weirdsville is up in Mt. Clemens. (They were the store that made national news for displaying only copies of Whipped Cream in the bins. 😁)

rockdoctor

I was listening to the mono copy today on my stereo. I did notice a slight difference in the tones on a few selections. They seemed to have a bit of a richer sound than the stereo. Also, the stereo Scarborough Fair has this sort of honk that is very noticeable. On the mono, it was there but was more muted.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Part of that is probably due to the stereo copy using CSG, which throws off the sound in unexpected ways.

rockdoctor

I actually got this album the week it was released in 1968. Even today the cover baffles me. But it worked!
When you bought your copy, did it have the singles sticker on the back to cover the hill? In this area, the shrink wrap had the sticker but I have picked up copies that have the sticker on the jacket itself. I do know of someone that had a Columbia Record Club issue that had it on the jacket and not the wrap. I bought my copy in summer 1970 and it had the sticker on the wrap.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
No sticker on my original. Bought it on release day.

JOv2

I picked up my one and only LP of this album in 1986 (still have it, of course!). The two odd things about the cover that immediately intrigued me were: 1) there was no album ID info on the spine; and 2) it seemed that Sergio was seated as the fool on the hill as it were -- so I thought there was some additional inside meaning afoot that perhaps would be addressed in the gatefold or in one of the songs...

rockdoctor

I picked up my one and only LP of this album in 1986 (still have it, of course!). The two odd things about the cover that immediately intrigued me were: 1) there was no album ID info on the spine; and 2) it seemed that Sergio was seated as the fool on the hill as it were -- so I thought there was some additional inside meaning afoot that perhaps would be addressed in the gatefold or in one of the songs...
The lack of information on the spine did not pique my interest. What did was that Scarborough Fair is printed in red ink and the other titles are in black. I am surprised that you were able to get the gatefold as by that time, it was gone from this area and reissued as a single cover.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
What did was that Scarborough Fair is printed in red ink and the other titles are in black.
I believe that "Scarborough Fair" was the current single when the album was released, "Fool On The Hill" being the pre-album single.

JOv2

Believe it or not. To this day, I never actually "looked" at the fully-opened exterior cover: seeing both sides as individual panels back in the mid-80s I concluded the cover art job was pretty cheesy. (Seeing it fully opened nearly 40 years later merely confirmed this.)

Top Bottom