Classic AOTW Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 FOURSIDER (SP-3522)

How would your rate FOURSIDER as a compilation?

• ***** Perfect

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • **** Very Good

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • *** Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ** Poor

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • * Extremely Poor

• I've never hear of it

• Total voters

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
SERGIO MENDES
AND BRASIL '66
FOURSIDER
A&M SP-3522

FoursiderMendes.jpg

Released as SP-3252, later renumbered SP-6012, and issued on CD as CD-6012

Track listing:

Side One
1. MAS QUE NADA (Jorge Ben) 2:37
2. ONE NOTE SAMBA/SPANISH FLEA (Jobim-Mendonca/Wechter) 1:45
3. BIM-BOM (J. Gilberto) 1:52
4. LOOK AROUND (S.Mendes-A.Mattos-A.Bergman-M.Bergman) 2:58
5. (SITTIN' ON) THE DOCK OF THE BAY (S.Crooper-O.Redding) 3:09
6. WATCH WHAT HAPPENS (M.Legrand-N.Gimbel) 2:44
7. WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS (Lennon-McCartney) 2:33

Side Two
8. LOOK OF LOVE (Bacharach-David) 2:42
9. NORWEGIAN WOOD (Lennon-McCartney) 3:52
10. WAVE (Jobim) 2:15
11. AFTER MIDNIGHT (John J. Cale) 3:53
12. CHELSEA MORNING (J. Mitchell) 2:59

Side Three
13. FOOL ON THE HILL (J.Lennon-P.McCartney) 3:10
14. FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH (Stephen Stills) 3:41
15. DAY TRIPPER (Lennon-McCartney) 3:04
16. CRYSTAL ILLUSIONS (Memorias De Marta Sare) (E.Lobo-L.Hall-J.Guarnieri) 7:47

Side Four
17. PAIS TROPICAL (Jorge Ben) 2:44
18. YE-ME-LE (Luis Carlos Vinhas-Chico Feitosa) 2:25
19. LAI LADAIA (REZA) (E.Lobo-J.Guerra) 3:10
20. PROMISE OF A FISHERMAN (Dorival Caymmi) 2:56
21. AFTER SUNRISE (S.Neto-O.Neves) 2:22

VARIOUS SELECTIONS PRODUCED BY COMBINATIONS OF
HERB ALPERT, JERRY MOSS, AND SERGIO MENDES

Compiled and edited by
Claire Baren and Richard Burns
Art Direction by Roland Young
Concept and Design by Junie Osaki
Illustrations by Jim Gilbert

A&M Records, Inc.
P.O.Box 782, Beverly Hills, Calif. 90213
Printed in U.S.A.

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
Very small trivia tidbit: album cover designer Junie Osaki will later get married to Chuck Mangione.

Harry

Staff member
I don't believe I ever purchased the Sergio FOURSIDER as an LP. My copy has the die-cut words "PROMOTIONAL NOT FOR SALE" stamped into the jacket, so it probably came from a radio station. The promotional version has no angled titles on the front, just black borders.

I did however purchase the CD the first time I saw it. That was back in those exciting days of CDs when you'd go to your favorite record store and see just what new old titles you had to have on CD. The CD must have been issued in the giant A&M CD roll-out of 1988, at least that's the copyright date on the CD, with a "4/88" stamped on the inner ring.

My first Sergio CD was the green GREATEST HITS, with the second being FOOL ON THE HILL. FOURSIDER would have been third or fourth with CLASSICS 18 being the other one. Both were welcome additions at the time, filling in some of the tracks not found elsewhere, like two tracks from PRIMAL ROOTS, an album that at the time, I had yet to discover.

Harry

Dave

What I believe is the "everything you need by Sergio" set! I mean, it even has the first two tracks from Primal Roots, "Promise Of A Fisherman" and "After Sunrise"...

I dreamed I was racing someone on motorized skateboards you sit down on while this played in my sleep! (Think "Norwegian Wood" was what came on & "I lost!"; "Wave", then played...)

A near-flawless set, in that it's fairly filled-out in Sergio's career, and I think at least as an introductory set for novice & an addition for the completest, this set, containing both hits & some good filler, should satisfy both...!

-- Dave

Harry

Staff member
I gave this a very-good rating as it is a decent compilation for a newbie to Sergio. The fact that it's still in-print and available says something about it. This compilation is semi-chronological starting with the inevitable "Mas Que Nada" and ending with the PRIMAL ROOTS tracks, Sergio's last for A&M for awhile.

I was not aware of the Junie Osaki/Chuck Mangione connection - thanks for that tidbit.

Harry

Captain Bacardi

I didn't care much for this comp at all. I thought it focused way too much on Brasil 66's pop material and not nearly enough of the Brazilian catalog. I got this on CD a few years back mainly as an afterthought but rarely put it on.

Capt. Bacardi

Top Bottom