News Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77 LIVE IN JAPAN

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
I'm informed by Sleepy Night Records that the new release of SERGIO MENDES & BRASIL '77 LIVE IN JAPAN is imminent. The CDs have gone to press. Here is the front cover and rear track list artwork:
LiveJapanCDFront.jpg
LiveJapanCDRear.jpg

Ordering details forthcoming.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
Wow, I don't think I ever saw a "Live" Sergio recording that didn't end up with "Mas Que Nada." This will be interesting to hear.

A mostly unrelated, but strangely coincidental, side note: I noticed that the second song here is "One Note Samba/Spanish Flea." When we saw Herb and Lani last fall, they used that combo for their second number as well!

bob knack

Was this originally released on the MFP (Music For Pleasure) label in England. I have the Bacharach live LP.

JMK

Contributor
I only have the MFP version of the Greek Theater recording, which I was thrilled to get years ago, but I don't think I've seen this particular one on MFP. That said, this is out on an almost bewildering number of different albums, some with different track lists/orders, I've collected through the years. There's a quad mix I have on LP, and also a 2LP release that has several more songs than are listed above. Sergio has just a tiny slip o' the fingers on that Fm7 opening of Love Music.

Harry

Staff member
this is out on an almost bewildering number of different albums,
You got that right! It seemed to be released a bunch of times by CBS/Epic/Sony under various titles. I originally thought these were all different concerts, but...

a tiny slip o' the fingers on that Fm7 opening of Love Music.
...was the giveaway that these were all the same concert.

It'll be nice to finally add this one to the CD collection officially.

Harry

Staff member
THIS JUST IN FROM SLEEPY NIGHT RECORDS:

SPECIAL FOR AMCORNER MEMBERS - THIS WEEKEND ONLY

The Sergio CD will not be released for another few months but this weekend we are putting it up for sale just for the A&M corner fans, here is the link:

Sergio Mendes & Brasil 77 Live In Japan

Also use this code : AMCORNER to get 15%OFF

Just for this weekend only!

SergioCover.jpgJewel-case-back-INLAY-4-0 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Harry

Staff member
Great-sounding disc. This concert was well-recorded.

TjbBmb

Just got my copy. I have to say, this lineup of Sergio’s group does nothing for me. It just doesn’t have the magic of the original Brasil 66. It’s also too polished and sterile sounding. In my opinion, Bonnie is technically a very good singer, but has no personality whatsoever. Why didn’t Sergio let Gracinha sing more? She’s much more captivating.

Top Bottom