Sergio Mendes CD "BOM TEMPO" (GOOD TIME)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
CD Japan is listing a new Sergio Mendes CD due out March 24th. It is an advance release with a bonus track.

It also lists a re-issue of TIMELESS due out the same date.

UCCO-1095 Sergio Mendes/BOM TEMPO
2095 yen US$23/92.15 Release Date:2010/03/24 Description:Album release from Sergio Mendes to be advanced released in Japan. Includes a Japan edition bonus track (subject to change).
http://cdjapan.jp/d.html?KEY=UCCO-1095

[Moderator note: Thread title edited to remove "Upcoming"]

Here is a Google translation from another site:
Japan decided Serujiomendesu five performances in January, about two years and will release a new album. 新作は“ダンス”アルバムになる予定で、収録曲の半数がブラジル'66&'77時代のダンサブルチューンのリメイクになる予定。 The new "Dancing" will be album of songs half of Brazil will be a remake of the '66 & '77 Dansaburuchun era. 日本先行発売予定(海外:4/5予定)。 Available in leading Japan (International: 4 / 5 expected).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1) エモリオ (1) Emorio
(2) マラカトゥ・アトミコ (2) Atomiko Marakatou
(3) ユー・アンド・アイ (3) You and I
(4) イエ・メ・レ (4) Les Ye Webmaster
(5) マガレーニャ (5) Magarenya
(6) オルフェウス (6) Orpheus
(7) パイス・トロピカル (7) Tropical Pacific Place
(8 ) マカラトゥ(ネーション・オブ・ラヴ) (8 ) Makaratou (Nation of Love)
(9) ザ・リアル・シング (9) The Real Thing
(10) カミーニョス・クルザドス (10) Kuruzadosu Kaminyosu
(11) カシャンガ (11) Kashanga
(12) 私はあなたのもの 他 (12) Other I belong to you

Here is another site's translation:

Content
セルジオ・メンデスのコンコード第3弾となる今作のキーワードは「ダンス」。 The Sergio Mendes Concord and now three bullets in his keyword "dance". ブラジルの伝統=サンバのサウンドやビートを基調に、R&Bやヒップホップ、ハウス・ミュージックなど、最新のテイストをちりばめたアッパーで躍動感あふれるナンバーが満載! 収録曲の半分がブラジル'66&'77時代の人気ダンサブル・チューンのリメイクというのも大きな魅力。 Traditions of Brazil and the speech sounds of samba beats, R & B and hip-hop and house music, full of numbers in a dynamic upper-studded latest taste! Brazil, half of the songs of the times '66 & '77 a remake of the big attractions of the popular danceable tune. 今回はセルジオ自らがほぼ全曲のプロデュースを担当(Track 2, 8のみビースティ・ボーイズのプロデュース/エンジニアとして有名なマリオ・カルダート・ジュニアとの共同プロデュース)。 We are responsible for producing their own songs almost Sergio (Track 2, 8 produced the Beastie Boys only / Karudato Mario Jr. and co-produced by the famous engineer). 参加アーティストは、ブラジル・バイーアのパーカッション奏者カルリーニョス・ブラウンやブラジル音楽の新しいスターと称されるセウ・ジョルジなど。 Artists include Seu Jorge as the new star of Brazilian music known as the Brown and percussionist Karurinyosu Bahia, Brazil. また、ブラジル音楽ファンには「ブラジルの心」と呼ばれるMPB(ブラジル・ポピュラー・ミュージック)界のトップ、ミルトン・ナシメントとの巨匠どうしの共演も話題。 In addition, the Brazilian music fans, "Heart of Brazil" and called MPB (Brazilian popular music), the top field, between masters and also feature topics Milton Nascimento. 日本先行発売。 Japan prior releases.

ボーナス・トラック:日本盤ボーナス・トラック1曲収録(予定) Bonus Track: Japan Bonus track songs 1 (tentative)

Man I love how translator programs butcher English to Japanese and Japanese to English. Minor syntax and subtle nuances are almost always "lost in translation"... (punny reference to the Bill Murray movie is intentional).

--Mr. Bill

From Jon Konjoyan and his contact at Concord, Jill Weindorf:

"coming in May is Bom Tempo and then a remixed project as well."

Well looking at the Track list posted above, I find a few interesting things:

(1) エモリオ (1) Emorio
This could be the tune of the same name that was on HOMECOOKING. It's one of the better songs on the album from a production and performance standpoint, although the English lyrics are just so-so IMHO.

(5) マガレーニャ (5) Magarenya
Could this maybe be a remake of "Magalenha" from BRASILEIRO? That's one of my favorite tracks on that album. It cooks!

(7) パイス・トロピカル (7) Tropical Pacific Place
I'll bet this is going to be a remake of "Pais Tropical," which is translated on the album cover as "Tropical Land." :thumbsup: I hope Gracinha sings it again.

A song by this title, written by Stevie Wonder, appeared on the NEW BRASIL '77 album. I'll bet this gets a hip-hop treatment. It is an OK song but not a big favorite.

Of course the idea of a new Sergio album is always intriguing. This part:
We are responsible for producing their own songs almost Sergio (Track 2, 8 produced the Beastie Boys only
is a little disturbing, but the will.i.am collaborations yielded some good tunes, so who knows?

Montana Mike said:
This part:
We are responsible for producing their own songs almost Sergio (Track 2, 8 produced the Beastie Boys only
is a little disturbing, but the will.i.am collaborations yielded some good tunes, so who knows?

Ahhh! A bossa nova-ized "Hey Ladies, Hey Ladies" could be intriguing!

--Mr Bill

Hello all and Happy New Year. Gracinha told me the album is due for offical US release in April. She says it's one of the most exciting and probably best projects they have yet to do.

Peace,
Jon

Little More Research from Japanese website:

(1) エモリオ (1) Emorio
(2) マラカトゥ・アトミコ (2) Maracatu Atómico (Gilberto Gil - Nightingale: Album produced by Sergio)
(3) ユー・アンド・アイ (3) You and I (possibly Celine Dion Song)
(4) イエ・メ・レ (4) Ye-Me-Le
(5) マガレーニャ (5) Magalenha
(6) オルフェウス (6) Orpheus
(7) パイス・トロピカル (7) Pais Tropical
(8 ) マカラトゥ(ネーション・オブ・ラヴ) (8 ) Maracatu (Nation of Love)
(10) カミーニョス・クルザドス (10) Kuruzadosu Kaminyosu (I think it is a japanese song)
(11) カシャンガ (11) Caxanga - The Crab
(12) 私はあなたのもの 他 (12) Other: "I belong to you"

Ye-Me-Le is very exciting! Pais Tropical too!!!!!

Yes, "Ye Me Le" = :thumbsup:

It will probably not displace the original which is definitely in my top five all time favorite SM&B'66 songs, but I'm excited to hear a new take on it.

"The Crab" was a single and also a bonus track on the CD issue of PRIMAL ROOTS. It's a cool song, but has a sort-of unfinished vibe to it, so that'll be great to hear a new version too.

TIMELESS - 2/14/2006
ENCANTO - 6/10/2008
BOM TEMPO - 4/?/2010

I like the pattern that has developed here!

UPDATES!!!

10. Caminhos Cruzados (Tom Jobim song)

Caxanga (11.) is maybe the song by Milton Nascimento - (originally called Escravos de Jo with fewer lyrics) - Popularized by Elis Regina. One of my favorite Elis / Milton songs.

On the Japanese Tower website, it has a track 13. Mas Que Nada (Studio Apartment Edit)

#3 and #12 are still a mystery to me.

Ye-Me-Le and Pais Tropical are in my top 10 for favorite Sergio songs - I really hope it is nothing too wild.

I remember a version of Emorio (via VHS) that Sergio did when he was promoting Horizonte Aberto. Carol Rogers does a slow start of the song, and then the tempo breaks out!

So--- Is it March 24th yet?

Sounds like a cool project...

I love Japanese translations of English - and I love that we're all here trying to decode sentences like "We are responsible for producing their own songs almost Sergio"....

Hi Everybody Glad to learn there´ll be a new outing in a month´s time but must confess I have no idea what the set of songs will be...The translation couldn´t have been worse...I just hope Mr. Mendes will go back to his Brasil´66 root and somehow stop making this rap-like sound...I keep asking myself why is it really necessary to change completely when your original sound is still so great and the possibilities of enhancing it are infinite?
I´ve got my both fingers crossed. by the way, I like Mendes first albums best and Equinox is by far the best of all...I never get tired of playing it...it is simple and yet very sophisticated.
From a hard core fan since 1966.
João Carlos.

the possibilities of enhancing it are infinite?
In a lot of ways, the newer records are enhancing the original sound. Adding things to it, taking things out of it, changing it up. While still retaining the percussion and piano sounds we love, and keeping links to the classic sound (like Gracinha and Lani) in the mix.

Considering he's selling out concerts and making the current album charts, he must be doing something right!

HI There has been a little misunderstanding...i don´t mean Sergio Mendes is not doing a good job, I just find today´s sound kind of boring and predictable...take for instance, TIMELESS, 80% of it sound exactly the same...maybe for some people this is the sound, but as a Brazilian man, I know that Sergio could do a better job , at least this is my taste...what he plays nowadays is a mixture of American-rap, which I hate, with a bit of very traditional northern music from Brazil...the latter, which is not one of my favourites either, sounds better on BRASILEIRO...where there was no rap-talking and voice distortion at all. As a fan, who had the chance to see him perform three times in Brazil and who talked with him backstage , I think I have the right to state my opinion..I´ve got all his albums/cds, plus shows and very rare appearances on TV in Brazil, so I know what I am saying...I like his sound but I find his original sound far better...At times I think Sergio Mendes wants to please the younger generations...ok...Go ahead, he has the right to...but old fans like me certainly prefer his 60´s sound....For me, Sergio Mendes and his ensemble fall under the same category as that of Barbra Streisand, Tony Bennett, the late Sinatra to name but a few...who still make quality music and please people of all ages....I am rooting that this new outing comes with less rap-like stuff..... it hurts my ears a bit. WHY? Because I have the right to say what I like best in his music....Looking forward to his performances in Brazil but I am afraid he is not coming that soon..He was here two years ago, we spoke on the phone and he said to me he was thinking of making a CD with his BRASIL66 sound..I even suggested to him that he should invite Lani, Janis, lovely Karen ( so sweet with me the two times we met in 1968/69), Bonnie Bowden, Sondra Catton( What a voice !!!)...He laughed but didn´t say no....We even remembered the late musicians, Tião Netto, Bassini, Do Um...Cheers !!!

Very interesting observations Jocalosa. While his early albums with Brasil 66 from 1966-68 were musical masterpieces, he always seemed to want to change in order to "keep up with the times." Whether it was his fling with disco in the late 70s or his current interest with rap, the results were the same--very disappointing.

I know that music appreciation is a very subjective thing. But good music has three component parts--melody, harmony and rhythm. I'll leave it to the late, great Ray Charles who said about rap/hip hop "you can't even print what I think....just to talk to music."

I think I have the right to state my opinion..I´ve got all his albums/cds, plus shows and very rare appearances on TV in Brazil, so I know what I am saying
Of course you're entitled to speak your mind....everybody is, that's why it's a forum. Just keep in mind that whatever you put up, there's bound to be a person or two who will disagree, or argue with you. There are people here who like the late '70s disco Sergio just as much as the '60s bossa nova Sergio, as iimprobable as it sounds. (And now they will probably speak up!)

Just take it as friendly conversation; all opinions are welcome.

Myself, I love all of the Brasil '66 and Brasil '77 albums, but the song "Acode" on ENCANTO is one of the best things he ever put on tape, in my humble opinion. :) The great thing is, Sergio is still active and making great music...there aren't many of my "old favorites" I can say that about.

OMG Jocalosa... to have an album done with Lani and Karen again would be a dream come true for all of us. Yes Bonnie and Janis too... all great vocalists. Please push Sergio again to do it! The Brasil '66/'77 fans would come out of the woodwork for this!!!

Yeah, but Sergio is married to Gracinha now. I didn't see you mention his wife - who sings. :D The chances of this happening are as great as Herb forming another TJB!

BTW, I have previously mentioned that the next album, according to Concord, is a re-mix project.

Hi Eveyone Of course inviting the good old singers would be a great dream come true to all his hardcore fans...but the possibility of making an album with the perfect combination of bossa nova and American jazz is indeed viable, after all, his early music is timeless while his most recent one will soon be forgotten.
I´ve mentioned some of my favourite singers but of course there are others who sound great, too, like Marietta Watters and Carol Rogers, Whom I met while he was recording an album in Som Livre / Rio De Janeiro Brazil..back in 1969. Through a mutual friend I dropped by and it was great seeing them record in a studio... The other singers have come and gone...like Gerry Stevens..very good performance on the live " in Concert" ( 1973 )...after the late 80´s I must confess that his list of singers has grown so big and they´ve all sounded somewhat the same to my ears that I cannot identify who´s who. Gracinha is ok but definitely not one of my favourites!
Do not worry...If I ever get to meet Sergio again , I´ll ask him..." What about the Brazil66 sound album? " NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Steve Sidoruk said:
...the next album, according to Concord, is a re-mix project.

Sergio Mendes Equinox Re-Equinoxed :wink: (a la Herb's Whipped Cream Re-Whipped project)...

--Mr Bill

Unlike a lot of singers, I tend to like Gracinha's newer material better than the older, so I'm really looking forward to this new project. "Catavento" from ENCANTO is one of my all time favorites.

The new album just showed up on our music-ordering website on the Concord label with a release date of 5/4. The UPC number is 888072315754.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom