đź“Ł News Sergio Mendes Documentary (In the Key of Joy)

There's lots of info about Lani, of course, and Gracinha too. And a little about Joe "Never Gonna Let You Go" Pizzulo. Everyone else is either mentioned just in passing or (mostly) not at all.

To be fair though, the movie is about Sergio, not his vocalists (or his bands, for that matter).

Believe it or not, I only just ordered the DVD. Does Karen get a good mention?
I know she had a bad falling out with Sergio and the group over her relationship with Rubens so I can imagine Sergio might want to ignore her.

Believe it or not, I only just ordered the DVD. Does Karen get a good mention?
I know she had a bad falling out with Sergio and the group over her relationship with Rubens so I can imagine Sergio might want to ignore her.
I don't know that she was actually mentioned at all. As I recall, there was even a blurring of lines between SMB66v1.0 and SMB66v2.0.

Of the female vocalists, only Lani and Gracinha were mentioned and featured in the doc.--none of the other vocalists were mentioned by name or referred to. All you saw were video clips of the other vocalists.

Of the female vocalists, only Lani and Gracinha were mentioned and featured in the doc.--none of the other vocalists were mentioned by name or referred to. All you saw were video clips of the other vocalists.

Sorry... that's unforgivable. No Janis Hansen and her "The Look of Love" or Karen Philipp and her "For What It's Worth"?!

It probably would have made more sense if it were a documentary about Brasil '66/'77, but there was probably a point where they had to consider the overall length of a documentary about Sergio, and likely, nobody beyond fans like us even know or care about the vocalists who sang with him. It still wouldn't have hurt them, though, to at least list the singers who had worked with him, even without going into details.

You know how the motion picture credits whiz by real quick on the screen--what they could have done in a similar fashion for the sergio doc. is list in small print all the vocalists who participated with all the various band iterations included in the credits at the end. That would have been a nice recognition of Janis, Karen, Geri, and Bonnie etc. It's true that only fans like us at the Forum care about the other vocalists, but I bet it's only people like us who are going to buy the DVD.

It's true that only fans like us at the Forum care about the other vocalists, but I bet it's only people like us who are going to buy the DVD.
Good point there. I'm not much of a video person so I really don't have an interest in watching it, but I totally get it--the documentary becomes part of our collection and we hope that it provides insight beyond what we already know, and doesn't gloss over details. Yet, anything too in-depth will bore 95% of the viewers who remember "that 'Mas Que Nada' guy from the 60s" and just want to be entertained with an overview of his life, without the minor details...that would never sell, especially on any video channel selling airtime.

I don't even think that they mentioned Siedah. Just her experience with Michael Jackson (Man in the Mirror and the #1 duet "I just can't stop loving you") Also, Quincy Jones didn't even mention her.

I got the documentary from Amazon a couple of days ago, and I must say I like it a lot. Sergio comes through as the hard working, and still current artist that he is.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

Watched it this weekend (free on Tubi) and really enjoyed it.

The Harrison Ford connection was a nice tidbit also the "revelation" on The Fool on the Hill album cover.

After Sergio left Bell Records and Brasil '77 disbanded, the only real constants in his recording universe were himself and Gracinha (and even she wasn't on every record). Of course there were some people who were on a lot of records like Oscar Neves, Joe Pizzulo and a few others; but by and large he would surround himself with a different contingent of side players every time out. By the time he re-signed with A&M, he had become more like Quincy Jones, where every track would feature a different cast of characters, and even Sergio himself didn't play on every track.

As noted above, the documentary was about Sergio, not his musicians or the minutiae of his recordings.

After Sergio left Bell Records and Brasil '77 disbanded, the only real constants in his recording universe were himself and Gracinha (and even she wasn't on every record). Of course there were some people who were on a lot of records like Oscar Neves, Joe Pizzulo and a few others; but by and large he would surround himself with a different contingent of side players every time out. By the time he re-signed with A&M, he had become more like Quincy Jones, where every track would feature a different cast of characters, and even Sergio himself didn't play on every track.
The singers in the 70s was pretty solid. Bonnie Bowden, Gracinha, Marietta Waters, Carol Rogers and Leeza (Lise / Lisa) Miller (for Homecooking and Sergio Mendes '83)
Siedah showed up on Confetti & Brasil'86. Then she had HUGE success with Man in the Mirror and I Just Can't Stop Loving You. She toured with Madonna and Michael Jackson. Siedah needs her own Biography.
My point is that I follow the singers as much as I follow Sergio. Horizonte Aberto has Bonnie, Gracinha, Marietta, and Carol. It is magic! (more magic than "Magic" was) Not really any singer to follow in the 80s except Siedah. (no offense Joe P.) It has been a hit and miss group of singers with the newest albums like Quincy Jones's albums with Guest Singers.
Side Note: I thought that In The Key Of Joy was awful. I can't even listen to it "awful".

I like watching the "making of" features that you find on a lot of movie DVDs and BluRays (although, with streaming being the new normal, that kind of thing is disappearing fast). I wish each album by our favorite artists had a "making of" feature online somewhere. I would have a lot of questions about Stillness, Primal Roots, and Crystal Illusions, in particular.

I like watching the "making of" features that you find on a lot of movie DVDs and BluRays (although, with streaming being the new normal, that kind of thing is disappearing fast). I wish each album by our favorite artists had a "making of" feature online somewhere. I would have a lot of questions about Stillness, Primal Roots, and Crystal Illusions, in particular.
When streaming, even if it’s a one-episode thing, I always click “episodes”. Frequently, the extras you would have found on DVD and Blu-Ray are there.

Back
Top Bottom