Sergio Mendes greatests A&M hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Sergio’s greatest hits

From the A&M jubilee 68 page ‘A&M The First 25 Years’ publication only 500 copies worldwide
distributed to the A&M affiliates there’s are lists:

A&M Greatest Hits list:
on nr. 46 – Never gonna let you go by Sergio Mendes, 1983 peaked at #4 (4 weeks in peak position)
on nr. 57 – The look of love by Sergio Mendes Brasil ’66, 1968 peaked at #4 (1 week in peak position)
on nr. 77 – Fool on the hill by Sergio Mendes Brasil ’66, 1968 peaked at #6 (1 week in peak position)

note:
This is a part of a complete list of all A&M singles to crack the Top on Billboards’s
Hot 100 through Nov. 21, 1987. Records are ranked by the highest positio they attained. Ties are broken based on the most weeks in the peak position, in the Top 10, in the top 40, and in the the top 100.

By the way, on nr. 1 –Every breath you take, The Police, 1983 peaked at #1 (8 weeks in peak position)
and the last on nr. 106. – Oh very Young by Cat Stevens, 1974 peaked at #10 (1 week in peak position)

regards, Aqua do Brasil

How come "Watch What Happens" wasn't included on the CD version of Sergio Mendes Greatest Hits? I figure that back in the day, that single came along after the compilation was released, but how come it wasn't included as a "bonus" track on the CD?

First off, "Watch What Happens" wasn't a charted single, at least not in Billboard's Top 100 or even in the "Bubbling Under" category of records that almost made the Top 100. But then again, neither is "Like A Lover" or "Goin' Out Of My Head", and they are included on the early '70s compilation GREATEST HITS. In fact, the songs "For Me" and "Constant Rain" WERE Top 100 hits, and they were not included on the album! I'm reasonably certain that the original intent of the GREATEST HITS series was to present not only the big charted hits but the favored album tracks at the time as well, on one 12" LP with about 12 tracks. (Incidently, we're only weeks away from the GREATEST HITS series showing up in our Album Of The Week feature -- TJB's will be first!).

"Watch What Happens", the studio track, DOES show up on the following Sergio Mendes compilations worldwide:

FOURSIDER (US)
THE VERY BEST OF (W. Germany)
GRANDES NOMES box set (Japan - Brazil)
THE ESSENTIAL SERGIO MENDES (UK)
UNIVERSAL MASTERS COLLECTION (Holland)

Interesting! Before compiling the above list, I would've sworn that "Watch What Happens" showed up on more compilations -- and am completely blown away by the fact that it's not on the UK VERY BEST OF 2 CD set! That set had 48 of 68 Brasil '66 songs. You'd think that "Watch What Happens" would've made THAT cut!

Harry
NP: "Watch What Happens" Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

Yes, they should have left out about 6 of the YE-ME-LE tracks, and put in "Watch What Happens" and three or four more songs from FOOL ON THE HILL, and "Celebration of the Sunrise."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom