Sergio Mendes Old French TV videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Our good friend the "Brasil_Nut" has tipped me off to some interesting old videos that have surfaced on YouTube, originally from French TV. What's nice about these is that everything's being performed live.

Here's "Upa! Neguinho" (Check out the slowed -down middle!)

Harry

None of the embeds are working (you can right click and get the URLs that way). Looks like Dori playing guitar on FOTH.

None of the embeds are working (you can right click and get the URLs that way). Looks like Dori playing guitar on FOTH.

Sorry. If you click the "YouTube" logo on each one it'll play there. The uploader didn't want them to play in embedded mode.

The Voce Abusou link is for Pais Tropical. . . Will you please repost it?

Fixed. But you need to view it on YouTube.

Harry

It is great to see Geri Stevens for the first and only time on YouTube with Brasil 77 singing Pais Tropical. Attention must be paid to Geri Stevens AKA Dodie Stevens, as she sang on Mendes' greatest musical achievement, Primal Roots from 1972. She also sang on the Brasil 77 Live at the Greek Theater album also from 1972. Her claim to fame is her hit recording of "Tan Shoes and Pink Shoe Laces" as a 13 year old from 1959. Below is a link to her website.

http://dodiestevens.com/

It is great to finally see a video of Geri singing with the group. I recall seeing Brasil '77 in early '72 when the line-up featured Karen and Gracinha. when they returned (to the Circle Star) about six months later, it was Geri and Gracinha.

The combination of Gracinha and Geri was magical.

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

It is pretty cool to see Geri singing.
It is nice to see Karen and Lani live and not lipsynching. Expo'70 never really did Karen justice.
Upa Neguinho with the slow down is nice. I always have liked the live version of Viramundo better than the studio version.
Fool on the Hill and Voce Abusou sounds a bit mediocre. Also, the small stage makes them look so uncomfortable.

Always as pleasure to see these videos over and over again. So interesting to note the contrasting stage moves of Lani & Karen. Lani seems a bit shy and doesn't move very much, but Karen really rocks out, bopping and swinging her blonde hair. Girl is into it.

These videos also contrast the stage clothes for the girls. Sergio had Karen and Lani dressed in somewhat conservative but mod ''60s chick" street clothes, while Brasil '77 had the girls in flashy, spangly and "sexier", costumes, often with flowers or other decorations in their hair - with the exception of the White House concert where the girls were smothered in fussy floor-length "Holly Hobbie" dresses. '70s ladies fashion at its worst!

So true, Paul. Oh, and let's not forget the Hot Pants. I remember mentioning them to Gracinha who quipped, "Oh! The Hot Pants! Oh, yes! We had the legs for them...I still have those legs, and I stand by them!!"

What an amazing, down-to-earth lady she is!!

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Although I am a big fan of Lani Hall, I must recognize that Karen has a much bigger stage presence than Lani.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom