Sergio Mendes: the Verve US reissues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
The first one hit in 2000, and the last of the group so far came this year. So how do these reissues stack up against others and themselves?

LOOK AROUND (2000) - part of the Verve By Request series while still under the PolyGram umbrella, this was the first domestic release of a Sergio Mendes A&M album since FOOL ON THE HILL on the old A&M had gone out of print. The album was issued in a digipak format, with a simple fold-out "booklet" with credits and other artists' listings in the series. Artwork included the original album cover on the front, and the original back cover on the inside of the digipak gatefold. New liner notes graced the back cover along with the track listing and basic credits. A pink "obi-like" printed spine somehow cheapened the outer appearance, but the label on the disc itself was an encouraging homage to the old ochre A&M LP labels. The only odd thing about that was that the white background of the A&M logo, (somewhat oversized), was silver-colored from the CD itself, rather than a proper white color. The sound of the disc was a revelation, surpassing the Japanese release from the '90s.

EQUINOX (2002) - We waited around a couple of years, and with the folding of Verve and A&M all under the Universal umrella now, had little hopes of seeing more reissues, and yet we were all surprised when EQUINOX was announced. This one came out in a mini-LP format, mimicking a small record album, with a cardboard jacket, cloth/paper innersleeve, and a gold obi, almost as an homage to the Japanese style of putting a paper folded around the spine of albums, their purpose to provide Japanese text for largely other-language albums. In this case, the "obi" gave us brief liner notes, a track listing, some credits, and the fact that the disc was a 96khz, 24 bit digital transfer, and that it would only be available through May 2005. The outer cardoard was pretty much an exact replica of the original album, complete with original A&M catalog numbers and all, with a tiny "Verve" mention at the bottom of the back cover. Inside, the disc again featured the ochre-style label, though the background color is really closer to tan. The logo was better however, with a white behind it instead of silver. And again, the sound was superb, though some remarked that the master tapes might be sounding their age, with a few minor dropouts noted.

FOOL ON THE HILL (2004) - Again a couple of years went by, and again we thought the series had folded and again we were surprised when FOOL ON THE HILL was announced. This one marked a return to the digipak format, but this time, instead of a pink printed spine, a gold obi-like device was again used. This one was wider on both front and back, to make room for bar codes and FBI warnings. Underneath, the original outer covering of the gatefold album was finally, properly represented. As it was originally conceived, Sergio and his group are sitting on what appears to be a desert-like terrain. Open the cover and look at both panels, and it's revealed that they are sitting on a woman's body, with the "hill" clearly in view on the back cover. Since the days of the original SPX issue of the album, that back cover had all but disappeared as reissues substituted a picture of Sergio on a beach. Again, a tiny "Verve" credit appears on the back cover, low and unobtrusive. Instead of a booklet inside the front pocket of the digipack gatefold, we get a smallish folded poster, which recreates the inside of the gatefold of the original album, with pictures of the group in black and white, on the beach, using tin cans for percussion. The disc's label marked another improvement, getting the tan color to be more ochre-looking. The sound again was superb, marking the best-ever release of this album, far superior to the old A&M and Rebound issues, and an improvement to the sound of prior Japanese releases.

Two more years went by, and in 2006 we were presented with three Sergio Mendes re-issues. Perhaps sparked by Sergio's current popularity with TIMELESS, Universal released the original HERB ALPERT PRESENTS, CRYSTAL ILLUSIONS, and YE-ME-LE, all first-time issues on CD in the US. Still with the overall "Verve" imprint, these three were marked with a series title of "A&M ORIGINALS". These three are all housed in standard CD jewel cases, with simple fold-out booklets containing available credits. Front and back album covers are mimicked reasonably well on the booklet insert, with all of the old A&M catalog numbers still proudly shining through, and a tiny Verve credit at the bottom rear. Back covers feature uniform-looking artwork with new liner notes on the left with white-on-black text. Track listings and album credits are in a black-on-white rectangle on the right side with the printed gold/tan spine wrapping around to the front tray insert. Underneath the clear CD tray, we get the reissue packaging and mastering credits. The discs all appear to fit in well with the others in the series, with the label color perhaps a bit more back in the direction of tan. The sound on these vary a bit, with HERB ALPERT PRESENTS sounding just about as good as Japanese reissues (though not approaching the ancient MFSL LP mastering); CRYSTAL ILLUSIONS is perhaps as good as, if not a notch better-sounding than prior Japanese issues; and YE-ME-LE getting top honors for most-improved sound from the earlier issues in Japan.

All of these are worthy editions for your music shelves, with perhaps the only regret being the lack of consistency of appearance. But given that the catalog went from one label to another (both in periods of upheaval) during its release cycle, it's remarkable that we have these six at all!

If we interpolate ahead, we might conjecture a release for STILLNESS by 2008 - but I won't go there. For now the Japanese reissue of that one will suffice.

Harry

It truly is a testament to Sergio's popularity that virtually all of his catalog has been released on CD. Not artists who have released as many albums as he has can make that claim...not even his old boss!

Funny how time goes by. I remember when the EQUINOX mini-LP came out, I thought "wow, available till 2005....that's a LONG TIME from now!" And now it seems like just a few months later, it's "last year" already.

Hey, I've always wondered...does anyone know why the live LP (Expo 70) was never released domestically?

---Michael Hagerty

As usual, Harry, a superb summary of the dizzying and heady experience that is listening to the Sergio Mendes reissues.

Michael Hagerty said:
Hey, I've always wondered...does anyone know why the live LP (Expo 70) was never released domestically?

---Michael Hagerty

I'm pretty sure it was allocated a US "SP" catalog number in the A&M numbering system (check our archives for when it was an Album Of The Week), but why it was nuked is anyone's guess. I'm betting that it had more to do with legalities and rights than anything else. Burt Bacharach's '70s live album as well as Carpenters' live albums were similarly never released in the US.

Harry

IMHO, Bob Irwin's mastering on these titles runs circles around the Japan reissues. The ones I've heard so far are much better. It also stands to reason that the US has the original analog tapes on hand. There's no telling what Japan used for their CD versions--had to be at least one generation away from the US tapes, I'm sure.

I don't think Expo ever did have a domestic SP number, unlike the B77 live album (which, as I've discussed here before, I pre-ordered only to see it mysteriously disappear from Phonolog). My personal opinion is that vocals on the Expo album were considered too ragged for domestic release--just my opinion. :)

According to Mr. Bill, the number SP-4387 is somehow associated with LIVE AT EXPO '70, even though it was never actually released with that number or any number in the US.

Harry

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time, despite my protestations to the contrary, LOL), but I think maybe SP-4387 was actually the B77 Live album, which for its domestic release was called "Live at the Greek Carnival." But, again, I could be misremembering.

And again, according to Mr. Bill, the B77 LIVE (IN CONCERT) album may have been allocated the similar US catalog number of SP-4378. Just a flip of the last two digits.

How true any of this is, is beyond me. It would seem to me that the 78 number would come before the 87 number, and EXPO certainly predated IN CONCERT.

I'll leave it to Mr. Bill, or perhaps our other numbers obsessed member, LPJIM, to explain their logic.

But bottom line is that neither of these live albums, nor the ones by Burt Bacharach, Carpenters (Japan and Palladium), were ever released in the US. Actually the Bacharach one just got released last year on that Hip-O Select box set, a limited release.

Harry

JMK said:
I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time, despite my protestations to the contrary, LOL), but I think maybe SP-4387 was actually the B77 Live album, which for its domestic release was called "Live at the Greek Carnival." But, again, I could be misremembering.

You may be remembering correctly. :agree: Looking it up, BOTH SP-4378 and SP-4387 are attributed to nearly the same title. The former credits SM&B77, where the latter is just Mendes; both say "Live at the Greek Carnival".

I can tell you for sure that I pre-ordered either 4378 or 4387 from that soon-to-disappear Phonolog listing long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away. The SP number was burnt on my memory for years, but it's since faded once I actually got the danged thing. :wink:

LPJim and I did exhaustive research on the "missing numbers" in our collections and A&M promo material and online resources. There's no dooubt that there are two live albums, on at the Greek Theatre in LA and one at EXPO in Japan. The MFP reissue of the Greek gives a credit "previously released as AMLP 64378 (or 87 -- I don't have it in front of me right now as I'm at work) which is A&M UK's numbering system for LPs that have US #s (specifically A&M UK added a "6" to all such A&M product they released. Conversely there is evidence such as A&M promo material and the Phonolog listing with the obverse number 4387 (or 78, again, I'm at work). These are the images in our own AOTW file:

sp4378.jpg
sp4387.jpg

We did not include the MFP cover because MFP more often than not generated their own cover as opposed to using the original cover (like the PickWick reissues did). I cannot at the moment remember what the Book Of Flaws listed for these numbers, but I suspect it may have been one instance of the author of that work placing faulty info to entrap her dreaded copyright thieves.

Obviously since no domestic product ever w2as released we'll never no with absolute certainty what these SP #s would've ultimately been -- it IS strictly conjecture based on data available.

--Mr Bill
noting the same can be said for ALL the unreleased LPs we have in the AOTW file...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding (could it be? Noooo), but SMB77 "In Concert" (AKA "Live at the Greek Carnival," per the Phonolog listing I saw and pre-ordered from) is NOT the same as Live at Expo '70. But you knew that. :wink:

JMK said:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding... :wink:

Believe mne, LPJim and I went around on this one (actually these two) for a good year as we built the A&M Corner file... I don't think any of us disagree that there are indeed two different live albums....

This is the one from the Greek. This is the UK cover as I reecall our reesearch. It was re-issued by MFP with a silly Orange cover which featured a hang glider (because hang gliders are the perfect representation of both Sergio AND Brazilian music :confused: ).
sp4378.jpg

And this is the one Live at the EXPO in Japan:
sp4387.jpg

Incidentally I've seen the cover of this with both the 66 AND 77 identities...

But the more I think back to the conversations and research LPJim and I di, the more sure I am I have these numbers correct. Naturally the intended US titles of these may have very well been different from their ultimate UK, Japan and other foreign release titles...

The final caveat, as I mentioned is that with ANY unreleased LP and any unassigned number, we'll never no with absolute certainty what these SP #s would've ultimately been -- it IS strictly conjecture based on data available.

--Mr Bill

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying--"In Concert" is "Live from the Greek Carnival." There are actually two (count 'em) MORE covers for this aside from the MFP reissue and I have them all. What I'm saying is that none of these is "Live at Expo '70." I never saw "Expo" listed in Phonolog, which I used to check religiously for coming Sergio attractions, hence my pre-order of "Greek".

I think it's important to note that "Live" albums were still a fairly new thing for pop music. Sure, they existed in folk, comedy and jazz, but in the late 60s and early 70s it was still a new form for pop and rock music. Monterey, Woodstock and the groups who did live recordings at places like the Fillmore were changing that. I think record companies did not put much stock in live product until A&M's success with Frampton Comes Alive. After that there were plenty of live albums by everyone and his brother it seems.

With Sergio's declining sales and chart activity at the time of these recordings, A&M may have felt a release would not net them a return on the investment (packaging and marketing only -- the recording was done). Indeed, the only A&M Mendes product to follow these unreleased items were compilations (until his 1983 reurn to A&M at least). A&M obviously opted to recoup some of their investment by allowing their foreign entities to release them and by licensing to reissue outfits like MFP.

--Mr Bill

JMK said:
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying--"In Concert" is "Live from the Greek Carnival." There are actually two (count 'em) MORE covers for this aside from the MFP reissue and I have them all. What I'm saying is that none of these is "Live at Expo '70." I never saw "Expo" listed in Phonolog, which I used to check religiously for coming Sergio attractions, hence my pre-order of "Greek".

Ahah! Upoin rereading your post I see I misinterpretted your "Maybe I'm misunderstanding." I was just trying to clear up what LPJim and I surmised from our data and research.

We had a similar debate with SP4283 --
sp4283.jpg

-- which we surmised may have been the intended US release of Phil Ochs' Gunfight At Carnegie Hall (ulitmately released as SP9010 by A&M Canada). With Rhino's release of Ochs' Live in Vancouver LP it is quite possible 4283 was the Vancouver recording and not the Carnegie one...

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
...We had a similar debate with SP4283... --

sp4283.jpg

-- ...which we surmised may have been the intended US release of Phil Ochs' Gunfight At Carnegie Hall (ulitmately released as SP9010 by A&M Canada)... ...With Rhino's release of Ochs' Live in Vancouver LP, it is quite possible 4283 was the Vancouver recording and not the Carnegie Hall one...

--Mr Bill

Harry said:
...Burt Bacharach's '70s live album as well as Carpenters' live albums were similarly never released in the US...

Harry

I would like to point out that there was some attempt to record Chris Montez Live on Side 1 of his Fourth and final A&M LP, Watch What Happens... (...Though the crowd noises and party sounds seem to have been added from "another source" or just "dubbed in" to create a "Live/Party Feel"...)

And Side 1 of The Sandpipers' 2nd A&M album, The Sandpipers, also seems to have been recorded Live, as well...

Seems as though Liza Minnelli, Lee Michaels and Pete Jolly really "broke through" with Live Sets, at least in "A&M's Beginnings..."

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom