Sergio on Sirius

Mike Smith

I was mildly, but pleasantly, surprised to hear One Note Samba on "Siriusly Sinatra" on SiriusXM this morning at about 10:15 CDT.

It was nice to hear it although it probably would have been more appropriate on its 60's channel.

I never listen to the '60s channel but I do wonder if Sergio ever gets played there. Several of his songs are definitely eligible. "Mas Que Nada," "Fool on the Hill," "Scarborough Fair," "Pretty World," "Like a Lover," etc.

I was mildly, but pleasantly, surprised to hear One Note Samba on "Siriusly Sinatra" on SiriusXM this morning at about 10:15 CDT.

It was nice to hear it although it probably would have been more appropriate on its 60's channel.
The 60s channel is largely Top 40 hits from that decade. “One Note Samba” wouldn’t fit.

I never listen to the '60s channel but I do wonder if Sergio ever gets played there. Several of his songs are definitely eligible. "Mas Que Nada," "Fool on the Hill," "Scarborough Fair," "Pretty World," "Like a Lover," etc.
The first three might, Mike, but “Pretty World” was a stiff and ”Like A Lover“ was never a single. The channel is really just 60s records that were Top 40 radio hits.

My middle name is Michael, so I'll chime in: I've heard Sergio on Sirius quite frequently, but typically Look of Love/FOTH. He did do shows with Sinatra, I have a program somewhere in my piles of memorabilia.

My middle name is Michael, so I'll chime in: I've heard Sergio on Sirius quite frequently, but typically Look of Love/FOTH. He did do shows with Sinatra, I have a program somewhere in my piles of memorabilia.
Not only that, but apart from themed shows hosted by his daughter(s), Siriusly Sinatra is pretty much SiriusXM's MOR channel. It's not a "pure" artist channel like some of the others.

In the very earliest days of Sirius or XM (pre-merger), one of them had a "Latin Jazz" channel that included Brazilian music---tons of Sergio, Jobim, Cal Trader, etc. I really wish they'd kept that.

I knew at least four Mikes in school that were friends, so maybe I can respond here? 😇

The old XM would likely play more of those old tracks we know well, but current-day SiriusXM only goes for the hits. Sirius ruined XM; I dumped my subscription the day they did a wholesale firing of the programming and management staff who made XM what it was.

Re: Pretty World -- Antonio Adolfo *just* posted a sweet blurb on FB by Pat Metheny, calling it "one of the greatest melodies ever written (and best ever use of a tri-tone substitution)".

I'm part of the class action suit brought by some other person against Sirius XM for those of us who bought a car with it and were promised a lifetime subscription. I had just let that go when we traded in whatever car that was and they argued with me about it, but then got contacted years later, and the settlement provided me *with* a lifetime free membership, though I have to pay a $35 transfer fee to switch cars. Still better than the $300 annual or whatever it was.

The only Brasil'66 that I ever heard on SiriusXM was The Look of Love and that was only twice.
I had SiriusXM when I purchased my current car and decided not to continue it.

Back
Top Bottom