Sergio Rocks Ottawa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
Sergio Mendes & Brasil 2003 knocked 'em dead in Ottawa last July. With a turnout estimated to 9000 people, sounds like it was quite a night! What follows is the Ottawa Sun concert review by Ann Marie McQueen.

mend0007.jpg

Saturday, July 26, 2003

Swinging to the sounds of Brazil
Mendes brings new act to fest
By ANN MARIE McQUEEN -- Ottawa Sun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SERGIO MENDES
Confederation Park, Ottawa
Friday, July 25, 2003
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OTTAWA -- Confederation Park had the feel of Brazil in the '60s last night, as Sergio Mendes and his talented group of musicians took to the Ottawa Jazz Festival Main Stage.

An estimated 9,000 people turned out as the sun set to hear one of the founding fathers of the popular hybrid of Latin music and jazz known as bossa nova.

Though the 63-year-old Mendes may be better known for performing with Brasil 66 all those years ago, last night the Grammy winner had assembled a new and fully capable edition, dubbed aptly Brasil 2003.

And Mendes himself prompted many in the crowd to jump to their feet when he first took the stage in an electric-green shirt, black pants, and, surprise, fluorescent green socks.

After the versatile pianist was seated behind the ivories to the left of the stage, Mendes immediately let his signature duel female singers -- a dramatic part of his move decades ago to bring a sexy, sassy form of Brazilian music to the masses -- take centre stage.

POWERFUL VOCALS

Dawn Bishop and Jessica Taylor provided a colourful, unified front to the samba sounds, which had an enthusiastic crowd on the side of the stage swinging and dancing from side to side.

At several points the pair -- each briefly showcasing their own powerful vocals -- had everyone clapping their hands above their heads while they jived on stage.

They made the crowd wait until the show's close for one of Mendes' biggest hits, Mais Que Nada, but moved seamlessly between other upbeat favourites like the smooth as butter Chove Chuva, The Girl From Ipanema, One Note Samba, Like a Lover and a medley of Cafa Forte/Zanzibar/A Felicidade.

"Thank you so much, beautiful festival, it's an honour for us to be here," said Mendes at the end of the 90-minute show.

Mendes spoke to the crowd only a few times, at one point dedicating a section of the concert to the "percussion" of Brazil. Soon percussionist Meia Noite was delighting the audience by banging playfully with his precise rhythm on what seemed like every instrument under the sun.

Having never heard Brasil 66 play on anything other than a Greatest Hits CD of studio faves, I have nothing to compare this newest incarnation to.

But the combination of Kevin Winard on drums, Noite on percussion, Kleber Jorge on guitar, Bill Brendle on backup keyboards, James East grooving on the bass, and of course, Mendes tickling the ivories and joining in on the odd vocals, was enough to make anyone's night.

At times the show seemed just like how I'd imagine a big old Brazilian party to be, right there on stage, one of those lucky enough to be at the Jazz Festival last night had the pleasure of being invited to.

Jon

...congratulating Sergio on another sensational show, online...

Jon, thanks for posting that photo and review. We have tickets to see Sergio here in Austin on the 19th, and I was curious about what to expect, not having kept up with what Sergio's been doing for 15 years or more. I'm looking forward to a great concert. That review is very helpful--now at least I'll know the names of the players!

Mike A

Hey Mike!

I hope you enjoy the Austin concert...be sure to write us a review...we'll be waiting to hear from you!

As for the singers, this particular line-up of Brasil 2003 includes Jessica Taylor (the blonde) and Dawn Bishop, Sergio's "new" Carol Rogers. These days, you never quite know who will appear as a vocalist. Sometimes it's Jessica and Gracinha; sometimes Jessica, Gracinha and Dawn; sometimes Dawn and Jessica or Gracinha and Dawn!

Whatever the case, he has quite a band, a sensational set of singers and, of course, his magical fingers tickling the keys. Regardless, when it comes to Sergio and Company onstage, you can't go wrong.

Enjoy the show! :wink:

Jon

Thanks for the additional info, Jon. I will certainly post my impression of the concert here afterwards. Meanwhile, it's out to the record stores to snag some of the dozens of albums I've missed since I last followed Sergio, and to start soaking up the sounds over the next few days. The last album I bought new was Homecooking and before that--believe it or not--was Pais Tropical. So I've got a lot of catching up to do!

I'm particularly looking forward to hearing the show inside the One World Theatre, a small venue west of town that attracts top acts. I pass it on the way to work and back home again every day but have never been there (with tickets going for $40-up, it's no wonder!).

Mike A
NP: "Like a Lover"

Mike...

We'll look forward to hearing your review. Then again, I may be posting one of my own. Turns out I'm not flying on the 18th, 19th or 20th, and my airline (Southwest) flies to Austin. I checked with Mom (another devoted Mendes fan), who said she'd welcome a day in Austin and the show. So, you might just have a Brasil Nut and his Mom to share the evening with. :wink:

After all, I've shared Mendes performances with other Cornernites in the past. There was Flint Center in San Jose with Brandon Bergeron (one heck of a nice guy!) followed by another evening at Bimbo's in San Francisco (Brandon was nice enough to save a table for Mom and I in the club that evening -- the three of us had a marvelous time and a special treat...Kevyn Lettau made a special guest appearance as one of the vocalists!). Then, there was the Blue Note in New York with Paul Jeromack last November -- a magical weekend for sure.

Hopefully, I'll be able to add another "Corner-Sharing" experience with the Austin performance. I'll keep 'ya posted! :wink:

Jon

...checking flights, hotel rooms and show tickets, online...

brasil_nut said:
Mike...

We'll look forward to hearing your review. Then again, I may be posting one of my own. Turns out I'm not flying on the 18th, 19th or 20th, and my airline (Southwest) flies to Austin. I checked with Mom (another devoted Mendes fan), who said she'd welcome a day in Austin and the show. So, you might just have a Brasil Nut and his Mom to share the evening with. :wink:

After all, I've shared Mendes performances with other Cornernites in the past. There was Flint Center in San Jose with Brandon Bergeron (one heck of a nice guy!) followed by another evening at Bimbo's in San Francisco (Brandon was nice enough to save a table for Mom and I in the club that evening -- the three of us had a marvelous time and a special treat...Kevyn Lettau made a special guest appearance as one of the vocalists!). Then, there was the Blue Note in New York with Paul Jeromack last November -- a magical weekend for sure.

Hopefully, I'll be able to add another "Corner-Sharing" experience with the Austin performance. I'll keep 'ya posted! :wink:

Jon

...checking flights, hotel rooms and show tickets, online...

Hi Jon,

By all means, if you and your mother can make it to Austin on the 19th for Sergio's show, we should try to connect. Any other Austin-Central Texas area cornerites planning to attend?

Our tickets are for the 9:30 performance. There's a 7:00 show as well.

Better not wait too long to get show tickets. Seating is limited to something like 300, though I heard on KUT's "Horizontes" radio show this afternoon that a few tickets are left...One World Theatre has a web site (www.oneworldtheatre.org) and I think you can get tickets online, see seating chart, schedules, photos, etc. By all indications, it's an intimate concert setting, to say the least!

Keep us posted!

Mike A

Tickets are bought (9:30 PM show), room is arranged (same hotel where Southwest puts the flight attendants...for $29 a night with the airline discount), rental car is reserved.

See 'ya there!

Jon

I'm looking forward to the show. My wife and I will probably be there around 9:00, milling about during the tail end of the intermission following the 7:00 performance. How will we recognize each other? I haven't made enough posts on the corner yet to have the "A&M" logo stamped on my forehead....

Mike

Just go to your local tattoo parlor and ask for the "A&M special". :wink:

That'll be easy...I'm the one with the A&M Logo stamped on my...

Well...

Never mind...

We'll figure it out! :tongue:

Jon

Mike,

I'll send along a personal message with info on how to locate us. We'll likely be somewhere around the front of the venue. We'll work it out.

Jon

...heading to the tattoo parlor for that "A&M Special", offline...

Jon,

Great, look forward to meeting you there. Only two more days till Sergio rocks Austin!

Now, should I get the tattoo for my forehead, or just have my head shaved with the logo in back?...

Mike

Just make sure the tattoo is in a.....ummm....visible place. :wink:

I do have some future plans in the works for the site, one of which includes having some wearable items from the Corner. There are a couple of legalities involved (the company I use probably won't accept the A&M Corner logo since it is like a "parody" of the trademarked original, so that hints at one "near future" change for this website :wink: ), but I think with all of us meeting here and there, having some kind of identifiable wearable item like a hat or shirt would be worth having.

Neil...

What a sensational idea! I know this was mentioned "some time ago" (just had to throw a reference to Sergio in there!), a while back.

Changes to the A&M Corner logo, huh? Interesting! I've always liked the way you've moved with the times in regard to the site. You know, I was trying to remember the other day what the site looked like when I joined. I can't recall! Regardless, wearable "A&M Corner" items would be definite plus for Cornerites who wish to identify one another at events.

Besides, it would be so kewl for everyday wear as well. I hope there are t-shirts -- I'll wear them when I travel with the airline. I'm sure an "A&M Corner" item would garner more than a few inquiries.

Jon

...who is anxious to see the "Rudy Line" of clothing, online...

Hey, I'll set 'em up, but I WON'T model 'em! :wink: :D

Send me the phone # for "slinky babes R us" or whatever it was... :wink:

mikeargo said:
I'm looking forward to the show. My wife and I will probably be there around 9:00, milling about during the tail end of the intermission following the 7:00 performance. How will we recognize each other? I haven't made enough posts on the corner yet to have the "A&M" logo stamped on my forehead...

Bad news, Mike...

I was injured on the airplane. I didn't realize a sharp, thin cupboard was ajar, bent down to arm my aft-galley door and backed into the cupboard door. It ripped through the back of my uniform shorts, through my underwear and cut my behind. In reaction, I stood suddenly and banged my back on the galley counter. Ended up damaging my sciatic nerve.

I'm in far too much pain to attend the concert this evening. Standing and sitting are agony. Mom's friend, Jenny, will attend in my place. I'm disappointed, but it's not the last time (I'm sure) I'll get to see Sergio on stage. More disappointing is the fact that I'll miss out on meeting you and your wife...drat the luck! :sad:

Here's hoping you enjoy the show! Please send a report as soon as you can. Mom will fill me in when she gets home (she and Jenny are going to stay until Sunday to do some shopping).

Sorry I'll miss 'ya.

Jon

...with a sore behind, online...

brasil_nut said:
I was injured on the airplane. I didn't realize a sharp, thin cupboard was ajar, bent down to arm my aft-galley door and backed into the cupboard door. It ripped through the back of my uniform shorts, through my underwear and cut my behind. In reaction, I stood suddenly and banged my back on the galley counter. Ended up damaging my sciatic nerve.

Alas, A&M Corner does NOT offer health benefits. :wink:

Take care of that back though, and take it easy! As for me, I got three hours of sleep, up working late again. Think Ill grab a couple more...

Jon, that's terrible news! Sorry to hear it and I hope you'll soon be on the mend. And sorry you won't be able to attend the Austin show. Don't worry, I'll post a concert review as soon as I can deliver a coherent impression. There are others here, none more than you, much more familiar with Sergio's current band and playlist than I am, but I'll do my best to keep track of the tunes.

Disappointed that we won't get to meet. At least your mom & friend will get to enjoy the show. Again, my sympathies for your injuries. Take care, lie back, take it easy and listen to some bossa nova! (But don't shake that booty too hard...)

Mike A

Thanks Mike! Truth is, I'd probably enjoy the show, although I'd probably hurt myself by moving around as I do at his concerts. It's all good! We'll look forward to your review! :)

Jon

...sore, but hanging in there, online...

Whatever happened to the part where the flight attendants remind people that things shift during the flight so be careful? :D

I was hoping to be able to go tonight as well, and hoped to meet Jon and Mike but I've been battling the "crud" the past few days, so I'll be bedridden tonight. Just as well, my head is so clogged up I can't hear much anyway. Hopefully, Sergio will swing by this way again in the near future.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
Whatever happened to the part where the flight attendants remind people that things shift during the flight so be careful? :D.

Gee, could you possibly mean:

"On behalf of Southwest and your flight crew, we would like to welcome you to Dallas. Please remain seated with your seatbelt fastened, seat-back and tray-table in the full upright and locked position, your personal items stowed until the Captain beings the aircraft to a full and complete stop, and turns off the Fasten Seat Belt sign. At that time, please check around for any personal items you brought aboard, and do be careful when opening the overhead bins, as items do have a tendency to shift during flight..." :tongue:

Captain Bacardi said:
I was hoping to be able to go tonight as well, and hoped to meet Jon and Mike but I've been battling the "crud" the past few days, so I'll be bedridden tonight. Just as well, my head is so clogged up I can't hear much anyway. Hopefully, Sergio will swing by this way again in the near future.

Gosh Captain...that's rotten. Sure hope you're soon feeling better. There's nothing worse than being sick this time of year. Only thing worse is being sick at Christmas. I know...I've been there. :cry:

Jon

...on the mend, along with The Captain, online...

First off, I hope Jon and the Captain are feeling in better shape now than a few days ago! Sorry you guys couldn't make the show, it would have been fun to meet you there. Y'all missed a good one.

One word to describe Sergio's appearance at the One World Theatre in Austin, TX on Friday, September 19, 2003: FAN-DAMN-TASTIC!

Too many days have passed between now and last Friday night for me to render a very coherent review, but I'll do my best. We had tickets to the 9:30 performance (there was also a 7:00 show). My wife Hendle and I got there a half hour early, which is not hard considering it's only about a 7-minute drive from our house to the OTW. We took our seats in the theatre and awaited the show, while the crowd slowly filtered in. OTW seats a maximum of around 300, and no seat is farther away than about 50 feet from the stage, so we were anticipating good acoustics--and we weren't disappointed. Sound was excellent throughout the show. Whoever handled it was a master. Both shows were sold out, though there were empty seats on either side of us. From our vantage point about 3/4 of the way back and to stage right, Sergio was directly in front of us.

After announcements and introduction (does any concert ever start on the stated time anymore?), the band opened at about 9:45. Rhythm section came in first and started an infectious Brasilian percussive beat, then Sergio entered and attacked his keyboard, followed by the female singers. Personnel for the show were: Sergio, Roland keyboards; Hussein Ghufre, bass & vocals; Paul(?) Shapiro, drums; Meia Noite, percussion; Kleber Jorge, guitar & vocals; Sergio's "old and dear friend" Edgar? Gustavo? Rivera? (apologies, I couldn't hear the names at that point) keyboards; Jessica Taylor & Dawn Bishop, vocals. The group played nonstop for 90 minutes.

I didn't recognize the first song (there were several in the show I didnt' know), but they then broke into "Pretty World," still one of the warmest songs Sergio ever did. Followed by "Lua Soberana" and "Roda," "Chove Chuva," "Upa Neguinho," and a set of classic bossa nova numbers including "Girl from Ipanema" (with Jessica & Dawn singing to Sergio on the chorus), "Desafinado," "Waters of March," and "She's a Carioca," blending seamlessly into "Like a Lover." This was followed by a high-energy medley of "Casa Forte," "Zanzibar," and "A Felicidade." Jessica and Dawn took a break while Meia went into his master percussion routine with every instrument I've ever seen before and then some (I think the only thing he lacked were old hubcaps and coffee cans).

Jessica & Dawn came back out and the band launched into "Look of Love" and "Fool on the Hill," finally segueing into "One-Note Samba." (I said to my wife, "I wish they'd sing the 'Spanish Flea' theme like they did on the record!" and sure enough, a few seconds later, they did! Yay Julius!) "Mas Que Nada" was next, at which point we knew that the end of the show was near.

The band came back for two encores, finishing again with "Mas Que Nada." By then, the audience was on its feet, clapping and singing along. I'd never seen them before live, but there was no question that Sergio's band is very hot, very tight, and as strong as ever. All in all, this was a crowd for which Sergio could do no wrong! I thought Jessica & Dawn were great, but probably sounding better together than individually. Even together they didn't equal Lani, but what can you do.

Growing up in the '60s, there were three bands that for me represented the best that pop music had to offer: Herb and the TJB, Julius and the BMB, and Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66. I never got to see any of them perform live until now. Talk about your dreams come true....Jon, I know seeing Sergio live is old hat for you, but it was truly something special for me! My wife and I both discovered Sergio's music about the same time in the late '60s, long before we ever met, and our mutual love of Brasilian music was one of the things that drew us together over 20 years ago. One thing's for sure: Sergio's performance was a true love-note to his audience!

Mike A

...still trying to recall the whole playlist, online...

Hey Mike!

I'm so glad you and Hendle enjoyed the show. So did Mom and Jenny. Mom told me they sang Roda, and I had to miss it due to my back...drat the luck!! I haven't heard them do Roda since seeing Brasil '66 when I was ten-years-old. It was used to open the show.

I'm feeling much better, thank you. Pain is diminishing in my back, thank God! :wink:

Mom and Jenny had dinner, saw the show, returned to the hotel and hit the amll the next afternoon. They returned on Sunday night, quite loaded down with shopping bags and Christmas gifts...all in all, not a bad weekend for them at all!

Thanks for your review...wish I could have been there. Next time?

Jon

...jealous of Mike, Hendle, Mom and Jenny, online... :tongue:

Hi Jon,

Glad to hear you're feeling better. There's nothing like back trouble to turn the world an ugly shade of pain!

It was great hearing Sergio do "Roda," and though I was prepared to hear more "oldies" than new songs, I was surprised at just how much of the show was devoted not just to the big Sergio hits like "Fool" and "Mas Que Nada," but great, non-hit songs like "Roda" and the old bossa nova standards like "She's a Carioca." Nor were the performances just recreations of the recorded hits--the arrangements and instrumentation were fresh and current.

By the way, can you confirm who Sergio's keyboardist is? I'm sure I garbled it. And I'm not sure of the drummer, either.

Your mom and Jenny were here at a nice time of the year, too. The really hot weather appears to be over and the mild central Texas fall has set in. Predicted lows in the 50s next week! (An improvement over lows in the 80s, believe me!)

Mike A
NP: "Pretty World"

Mike,

Indeed, Mom said the weather in Austin was "marvelous" (a direct quote!) :wink:

Judging from the musicians listed, I would assume the following were present at the concert:

Bill Brendle -- Sergio's fellow keyboardist and Musical Director
Jussein Jiffry -- Sri Lankan Bassist (with long hair)
Michael Shapiro -- Drums (former Mendes vocalist Kevyn Lettau's husband)
Kleber Jorge -- Guitarist from Brasil
Meia Noite -- Percussionist from Brasil
Jessica Taylor -- Lead Vocals
Dawn Bishop -- Vocals

Indeed, as of late, Sergio has been incorporating many standards, as well as other great Brasilian songs into his concert line-up. For many years, following the release of Oceano, he would generally open the show with Rio de Janeiro and much of his newer material from Brasileiro and Oceano. As a matter of fact, we saw them in Atlanta in 1997, Sacramento (the night he premiered Brasil 2000 with Carol Rogers and Francis Benitez on vocals), San Francisco a year later at Bimbo's and Flint Center in Cupertino (a few days after the September 11th attacks). Each show was a carbon copy of the others. Quite frankly, I was beginning to wonder when Sergio was going to incorporate different material and/or do a new show.

However, in Sergio's fine tradition of pleasing his audience, our desire for new material would soon come to fruition...

When Mom, Brandon Bergeron and I saw them again last year at Bimbo's in San Francisco, they opened with Pretty World, swung into Balafon and Ela Carioca -- the three of us were pleasantly surprised...with each and every new twist, Brandon and I kept looking at one another and shaking our heads in disbelief. This was the Sergio Mendes we'd been waiting for, this was the music and style we wanted to hear. Let me tell you, we two 'Brasil Nuts' were in heaven! :)

As a sidenote, Mom and I had a ball with Brandon that evening. He was in line ahead of us to get into club, and saved a perfect table for the three of us. A great guy, that Brandon...by the way, if you read this Brandon, Mom says "Hi!" :wink:

In reality, it just seems right that Sergio & Company should perform these songs again after so many years. It's prudent, seeing as the majority of his catalog has only recently been released on CD. And, it makes sense. His fans, who have long been awaiting the release of these treasures, would expect to hear such material at a Mendes concert. Besides, it makes for one heck of an entertaining show!!

Jon

...anxiously awaiting the release of Sergio Mendes & Brasil 2004, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom