Sergio Singers on his recordings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Forum Members,

Since Sergio Mendes started his professional recording career in 1961 with his first Danco moderno album on the Elenco/Philips label in Brazil he released three instrumental albums,: The Beat of Brazil, The Great Arrival and The Swinger of Rio before he created his ‘one of a kind’ legendary trademark sound vocal/instrumental sound Brasil ’66 group.

Actually, his Brasil 66 unit was a off-spin follow-up of the Brasil 65 group with leadsinger Wanda de Sah and the late virtuoso guitar player Rosinha da Valenca augmented with Sebastioã Neto on bass and Chico Batera on drums.
Later on famous Brazilian composer singer Marcos Valle as guitarist joined the Brasil ’65 group with his singer
wive Ana-Maria.

In fact the Sergio Mendes Trio (Sebastioã Neto on bass and Chico Batera on drums with Sergio on piano) accompanied Wanda da Sah due to a Capitol records contract. Sergio has a contract with Atlantic records, founded by the legendary brothers Nesuhi and Amhet Ertugun sons of the Turkish ambassador in the US during the 1940’s of the 20th.century.

In 1966 the Sergio Mendes and Brasil ’66 group started with Bibi Vogel and the very young Chicago born Lani Hall.
Sergio asked Lani’s parents to get permission for joining his group and travels at her first music performance with the group on a trip to Nicuaragua in Middle-America.

For the debut A&M album, Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes and Brasil ’66, and Lani sung all the vocals by double/multi tracking superb engineered by the legendary studio wizard Bruce Botnick.
Bibi Vogel appeared on the record cover but not on the recording and was let go by Sergio and replaced by Janis Hansen.

In 1967 Janis and Lani appeared on both the Equinox album and Look Around albums with Janis as lead vocalist on the Bacharach/Davids pennend songThe Look of love, Billboards top 10 at number 4 as peak position.

During 1967 Sergio recorded his instrumental Favourite Thing album, due too fullfill his Atlantic contract. A fine album with John Pisano, Tom Scott, Dave Grusin, Larry Knechtel and Brazilian top musicians Moacir Santos, Dom Um Romao and João Donato.

Janis Hansen stayed 2 years till 1968, to form with former Brasil ’66 members Bob Mathews and Jose Soares and Murmaids singer Terry Fischer the Carnival group. A Bones Howe produced unit launched as the so called ‘ Brazilian Fifth Dimension’.

Lani stayed 4 years with Brasil ’66 till 1970 and she marked the best period of the Sergio Mendes’ groups.
Karen Phillips joined the band at FOTH (Fool on the hill album) with the titletrack single, which peaked at the number 6 spot in the Billboard top ten in 1968.
It was the last commercially recording success for Sergio Mendes until 1983.

Record sales succes fade away but the recordings remains high-quality and always new and fresh from concept point of view, considering repertoire and musicianship.

During 1969 Karen and Lani sung on the albums Ye-Me-Le, Crystal Illussions and on Stillness in 1970.
Bossa Rio co-lead singer Gracinha Leporace started at Stillness as a group member.

Lani stayed 4 years with Brasil ’66 till 1970 when she left the group and she marked the best period of the Sergio Mendes’ groups.

Karen stayed 3 years with the group till 1971 and sung together on the album Pais Tropical with new singer and Sergio’s soon to be wive Gracinha Leporace, from the Bossa Rio group with vocalist Pery Ribeiro and the late blind keyboardist Manfredo Fest with former Bossa Rio Sextet bass player Octavio Bailly.

Sergio made his last studio album for A&M, the 1972 release ‘Primal roots’ with singers Gerrie Stevens and Gracinha Leporace,
and the only in Japan released Live album; Live at the Greek forum with Gerrie and Gracinha. Later this album was also released on EMI records budget label MFP (Music For Pleasure) with fine liner notes by Nigel Hunter. I’m delighted to have this great album in my possesion from my 1979-1987 employment with EMI records Holland.
Gerrie Stevens stayed only one year with the band.

After his A&M period, Sergio made two albums in 1973 (Love Music) and 1974 (Vintage ’74) for Bell records, a part at that time of the Gulf & Western company with new singer Bonnie Bowden and Gracinha Leporace.

Sergio Mendes signed a new 5 album contract with Elektra records and started his self-titled debut smooth lush R&B flavoured studio musicians Elektra album ‘Sergio Mendes’ in 1975 with singers Bonnie Bowden and Sondra Cotton. For Sondra it was a one-album appearance and Bonnie sung with Leza Miller and Marietta Ariaza (Marietta Waters?) on the second Elektra 1976 release ‘Homecooking’.
Bonnie Bowden stayed 4 years until 1976 with Sergio and his band.

In May 1977 Sergio Mendes released ‘Sergio Mendes The New Brasil ’77’ and his new Brasil group marks his biggest band, personnelwise: 11 people, 8 musicians and three new singers, Carol Jeanne Rogers fom Omaha, Nebraska, Marietta Waters and Cruz Baca (the latter and already divorced wive of Sergio’s studio longtime co-producer/ musician Michael Sembello).

Marietta and Carol stayed with Sergio on the remaining two Elektra 1988 (Brasil 88 - 1979 (Magic Lady) albums and the Som Livre Alegria/Horizonte Aberto album, released worlwide by WEA international but Bonnie Bowden returned on Magic Lady and Alegria/Horizonte Aberto as Bonnie Amaro Bowden, wive of Brazilian guitarist Dave Amaro. Cruza Baca remain until 1979 but only on one recorded song on Brasil’88. Gracinha also returned on Alegria/Horizonte.

In 1983 Sergio returned to A&M for his self titled ‘Sergio Mendes’ album with his biggest hit ‘Never gonna let you go’ penned by pop hitmakers composer husband/wive team Cynthia Weill and Barry Mann. Singers Leza Miller and Joe Pizullo sung this striking love duet.
‘Never gonna let you go’ peaked at the charts in 1983 at number 4 and stayed there 4 weeks. ‘The Look of Love’ in 1968 peaked also on number 4 but stayed there only 1 week. Gracinha and Carol Rogers appears also on the album

Sergio recorded three more albums during his second A&M period (1984 Confetti, 1986 Brasil’86 and the 1989 released album Arara), and on this latter 3 albums Quincy Jones’ longtime collaborator, singer Siedah Garret played an important role near Gracinha and singer Kate Markowitz (Brasil ’86). Arara was also the start for the lovely talented German born singer Kevyn Lettau who stayed 8 years with Sergio and his band. And also Angie Jaree from the Clare Fisher band sung on Arara.

In may 1992 Sergio released his grammy award winning masterpiece ‘Brasileiro’ with Gracinha, Kevyn Lettau and Carol Rogers. His second Elektra contract, but this time limited to one album.

In 1996 Sergio released the marketing orientated Oceano album on Verve due to a contract with PolyGram Brazil at that time with a leading vocal role for Gracinha.

The Timeless release on Concord/Starbucks is well known to all of us with a stellar guest appearances by Stars such as India Arie, John Legend, Erikay Badu, Jill Scott, Will.I.Am, Justin Timberlake and Stevie Wonder but still with Gracinha all over the place and supported at background vocals with the breathtaking beautiful and talented singer Debi Nova who had a vocal part in the last track.

In this abovementioned I try to create a timeline of Sergio’s singers who actually were on his recordings.
I’m aware that there were touring band singers who never appeared on the recordings such as the great Dianne Reeves,
Jessica Taylor and Dawn Bishop and forget me if I missed anyone.

After all, from all Sergio Singers, Carol Jeanne Rogers stayed many years with Sergio probably from 1977 till 2000 and of course Gracinha who helped many singers with the Portuguese language.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

Thanks for the concise history of Sergio's career.

I never thought of this before but, isn't it funny how Herb Alpert had his first #1 hit in a style he was NOT known for (vocal) and then later on, Sergio had his biggest hit in a style HE was not known for (male+female vocal).

Aqua do Brasil,

That was great! A small fact about Geri Stevens (from Primal Roots and Live at the Greek Theater) is that she is also Dodie Stevens who was a one hit wonder with the song Pink Shoelaces.

You forget that Scarborough Fair was a Top 20 (peaked at 16 IIRC) hit *after* Fool on the Hill, so I wouldn't say that FOTH was his last commercially successful single until NGLYG. In fact, it was the first B66 45 I personally owned. :wink:

And more trivia that some of you know and some of you don't - Sondra Catton from the "Sergio Mendes" album (with the big yellow disc statue on the back) is the sister of Bernard Ighner, the wrter of "Everything Must Change", "Davy" and "Life Goes On"....

I was wondering where Sondra came from... She just kind of randomly appeared on 1 album, and disappeared.

I LOVE Sondra's creamy, furry voice. She just seems to have disappeared!

I wonder why singers stay so little time with Sergio? Is it their choice or his?

After breaking up the regular band, Sergio became the Quincy Jones of Brazilian pop music...he just used whoever he wanted at the time to get the sound he was looking for.

Chris Martin said:
I LOVE Sondra's creamy, furry voice. She just seems to have disappeared!

I wonder why singers stay so little time with Sergio? Is it their choice or his?

I don't know why, but the thought of a "furry voice" has a little bit of an "ick" factor for me. :D

Bernard Ighner worked with Quincy Jones. It just seems odd that when the Sergio Mendes ('75 w/ Sondra Cotton) album was released, Bernard Ighner was working with Marlena Shaw on an album that contains both "Davy" and "You been away too long". It all seems weird.

BUT what I do like about that Sergio Mendes ('75) album is the combination of Bonnie Bowden's and Sondra Cotton's voices. The velvet of Sondra and the clarity of Bonnie's together.

Hi,

I would sure love to hear Sergio's pre A&M Records output. I love Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66". The Philips, Capitol, & Atlantic LP's would be nice to find in nice shape cheap.

Hi Kent,

My favorite non-A&M Sergio from the '60s is his 1967 contract-filler for Atlantic called MY FAVORITE THINGS. It's been released on CD several times in several different countries. It's a short album, and is mostly instrumental, and there's guitar work by John Pisano on it.

Harry

...and the songs are available on iTunes if you want to pick and choose. I bought the title track there because it sounds like a Brasil '66 instrumental. Since I'm not really into Sergio's jazz instrumentals, that was the only song I really wanted to hear more than the sample.

NOTE: The Fifth Dimension conversation that had started here has been moved into its own thread on the Small Circle of Friends forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom