sergiomendestimeless.com!

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMK said:
BTW, do any of the rest of you 40 and 50 somethings feel WAAAAY old reading that review, LOL?

Heck yeah! But with lyrics like these can "Sergio Performs Dead Kennedys" be far from reality?

--Mr Bill

The promo CD single of "Yes, Yes Y'all" arrived today. The big reason for acquiring this one is for track 3, the instrumental. It is indeed the instrumental backing track to the song, and for those of us who can get a little "rap-weary", it's a welcome change.

There's also a shorter radio edit, the album track itself, and the direct opposite of the instrumental - just the rap part, or as they call it, a capella.

Finally there's a 13 second radio call-out hook.

I really like this instrumental version - it's groovy!

Harry

For what it's worth - Sergio is currenly the TOP SELLER of all of next week's new releases at our warehouse. (To be fair, though, he got awfully lucky....next week's schedule is exceptionally weak overall.)

The top 5 sellers as of today:

Timeless [Digipak] - Sergio Mendes
Voices - Matchbook Romance
Ghetto Classics [Explicit Content] - Jaheim
The Poison (Enhanced) - Bullet for My Valentine
Into Paradise - Sissel

"It's a f*** up, situation "

I just realized - the 'f' word is blanked out on my CD.
Just a dead space where the word should be.

Anyone else have this...uh...situation?

According to borderstores.com, they've got TIMELESS listed as being in the "Easy Listening" section.

Hah! This is going to be fun! :laugh:

Harry

MasterLcZ said:
I just realized - the 'f' word is blanked out on my CD.
Just a dead space where the word should be.

Anyone else have this...uh...situation?

So, it's blanked out on the CD?

Hmm... I wonder if this is a censorship on someone's part? (Concord, Sergio, Will.i.am, etc...)

Makes me also wonder if there may be an "Explicit Lyrics Warning" on the CD. (Would this be the first "easy listening" CD with "explicit lyrics"?)

I stopped by a Starbuck's this morning, and they said that they weren't receiving the new CD until tomorrow... BUT they were playing it!!

It's ranked at #61 at Amazon.

There is no "explicit" labeled version available, so I assume that word is blanked out on all copies. Probably at Sergio's insistence I would think. (FWIW, the "explicit content" label is not a requirement but is voluntary on the part of the artist.)

Also FWIW - the CD lists another website, "www.sergiomendesmusic.com" which leads to the same site as the Timeless site. Assumedly this is for future projects...cool!

Yes it is, Trevor!
If you don't count the implied meaning of "Lets do it, lets do it, let's do it do it do it", the raunchiest thing on TIMELESS is the word 'ho's" and "Brazilian beauties with booties that wobble...Boobies like tooties that fall in ya goggles" (at least thats what it sounds like to me) :laugh:

I listened to it a few times. First of all, to me it doesn't sound "blanked out." You don't hear "It's a [blank]up situation" -- all you hear is "It's a ... situation." So it's very possible that the rapper just said it that way.

Maybe the original written lyric did include the word, but so what? It's Sergio's record and if he decided not to have that word on it, more power to him.

From billboard.com under "Hot Product:"

The Right Time
It has been more than eight years since Sergio Mendes last released an album, and many more years than that since he last had a major hit. Now, a broad circle of unlikely fans have conspired to bring the Brazilian pianist/arranger back to center stage via an adventuresome new recording. "Timeless," due this week, is a joint venture between Concord/Hear Music and will.i.am music. Will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas produced the album and is also featured on many of its tracks. Other guests include his Peas bandmates, India.Arie, Q-Tip, Erykah Badu, John Legend and Justin Timberlake. India.Arie, Legend and Timberlake all wrote or co-wrote songs for the album.

"Timeless" -- which is titled after the new song written by Mendes and India.Arie -- features mostly older songs revamped and retooled for contemporary appeal including classics like "That Heat," written by Henry Mancini and recorded by Mendes and his group, Brasil '66, for their second album. Also included is "Mas Que Nada," the Jorge Ben track covered on the first Brasil '66 album. The international hit was many music fans' first glimpse of Brazilian music. The track peaked at No. 47 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1966.

"I hope those great melodies become popular; that the new kids hear the old melodies and enjoy them," Mendes says. He had stopped recording all those years, he says, "because really, I didn't have any kind of motivation." That changed when Will.i.am appeared at his doorstep three years ago, armed with Mendes' old vinyl albums, wanting to convince Mendes to play on a cut for the Black Eyed Peas' "Elephunk."

The result, Mendes says, "felt totally different from before. It just felt great, and fresh and unique. And a week later I said, 'You know, we should make a record together.'"

(Note: There is a longer version of this article in the magazine but the rest of it mostly talks about the promotional push for the album. The song "Mas Que Nada" is going to get the big push this spring, apparently.)

Sergio NEEDS to make some MODIFICATIONS on his website because it only focuses on TIMELESS, what about the rest of his albums? TIMELESS is not my MOST FAVORITE SM album but it's not my LEAST FAVORITE either.I prefer listening to to Portuguese songs over the hiphop stuff.I'm not saying that I don't like HIP HOP, HIP HOP is here to stay FOLKS.

Sergio needs to add his otheralbums, add some more photos, etc. He could always ask his friend Gilberto Gil to help him out, because Gilberto's website is QUITE EXTENSIVE.

http://www.gilbertogil.com.br/index.php?language=en

Cortnee, welcome to the music business. The reason the site only mentions TIMELESS is because that's the only Sergio Mendes album on that label. The label owns the website, Sergio has nothing (or very little) to do with it. You'll never see the other albums promoted there because no record company is going to promote another company's product.

That site is designed to sell the TIMELESS album and nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom