sergiomendestimeless.com!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my copy . We own a huge Antique Mall in Upstate New York and take great pride in playing Sergio all day - every day . Our younger customers always ask us "Who is this" "I love it" . Our 40 and up crowd compliments us non- stop on the music ... Needless to say as soon as I got my copy I put in over the system (it was a busy Saturday). After Mas Que Nada I thought this would be a great addition but then "The Heat" came on and I had to shut it off. Don't get me wrong . I am 30 years old - and am a huge rap fan . But too much is too much . I ended up putting together a partial CD for the store . The Jill Scott "Let Me " is great ! I even love "The Frog" because Q-TIP is what I consider a "classic" rap artist . I wish things were just a little more R & B instead of "in your face" rap . I want to share the album with my Dad but know I will have to edit out at least 1/2 the tracks ... Its too bad there was a "non rap" version - like so many of the top 40 songs today will offer both . But then there wouldn't be much left . I was hoping this was a "share" type of album - like I gave my Mom of copy of Jill Scotts last cd and we both can listen to it . This album is isolating too many listeners . But what can I say - its better than nothing . I will listen to it non-stop in my car for the next few weeks...

So twintiers, do you have a display of Sergio CDs in your store? I know a lot of antique & gift stores sell "outdoorsy" music and new age stuff -- might be a good outlet for Sergio disks too and maybe you could rake some $$ in the process

Hi Mike B. - thats a great idea but I don't know how I would go about purchasing the cds to sell retail . Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated

Heck, in the quantities you would need, I would just buy'em off the Net and mark them up a dollar or two. (Watch various sites for sales, free-shipping deals and such.)

twintier, thanks for your report.

I just got an Email from HMV Japan saying my order has been shipped. Did yours come from Japan, and if so, what is the bonus track (if in fact there IS a bonus track!) - Thanks! :)

hey trevor:'north on south street' was produced by herb and greg smithand i believe some other up and coming west coast 'acid jazz hiphop'producers.it was not produced by jam and lewis;rather,they worked on 'keep your eye on me'by herb from'87,and janet jackson was a guest vocalist on that album.

I think you posted to the wrong thread dude. Give'er another shot.

[02/02/06 - Moderator Harry here: Mike, I think jazzdre was in fact replying to Trevor in this very thread. That post was back in the earlier part of this thread, in response to a comment of mine, mentioning that it took a while for me to warm up to NORTH ON SOUTH STREET. - Harry]

I picked up a copy at HMV in Yokohama, today. I also checked out two other record shops, all three shops had a big Timeless display, playing a video of Sergio talking about the making of the CD, playing the music, the works. Much more hoopla than was exhibited for Herb's re-issues.

Mike

I got home from my church gig today to find the EMS package from Japan waiting for me. Frankly, I went for "Alegria" first, LOL. I think "Timeless" is going to introduce a lot of the younger generation to Sergio, which is a good thing. I think it's also going to grate on us over-the-hill types a little, which may or may not be a bad thing. :wink: There's some great stuff in there, if you can ignore and/or tune out the rap sections.

One of the most interesting things about the whole package is reading Sergio's voluminous thank you's, which span several pages of the insert booklet.

I just finished giving Timeless a listen, and... there’s a lot of good stuff on this CD. A stand-out-winner is "Berimbau/Consolacao" featuring Stevie Wonder and Gracinha Leporace.

Got my copy yesterday and have been listening it to it constantly. I'm in agreement with Mike, twintier and Jeff. There is some terrific stuff there as well as stuff that will (and does!) annoy us "Old Skool" Sergio fans. Gracinha is criminally underused (how about a hiphop "Lapinha" or "Upa, Neguinho"?) and I wish more of the raps utilized more distinct samples like "The Frog". "Loose Ends" is a powerful and eloquent rap, but after the opening sample of "So Many Stars", one hears barely any echo of the B'66 original unless one listens for it..it's there, but REALLY hidden. Overall, TIMELESS sounds more like a "Black Eyed Peas album with special guest star Sergio Mendes" than a REAL Sergio Mendes album.

But, all things, considered...I like it far more than I expected to.

And I agree with Steve that this will be Sergio's biggest album ever.

(and there was NO bonus track :sad: )

According to Billboard it's a promo track and not available as a single yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it soon on the download services at least. I wonder if the album will be on iTunes?

The Japanese version of TIMELESS has shipped. The American version comes out Feb. 14.

FWIW, here's what's available on iTunes as of right now. Individual songs are 99¢ and albums generally run a bit less than the CD version would in a store (but of course you don't get the packaging).

Pre-A&M:
BEST OF SERGIO MENDES & BRASIL '65
BEAT OF BRAZIL
SERGIO MENDES' FAVORITE THINGS

Brasil '66:
EQUINOX
LOOK AROUND
FOOL ON THE HILL
GREATEST HITS
FOURSIDER

Post-A&M:
SERGIO MENDES (The Elektra album)
BRASIL 88
PELE

The Edu Lobo A&M album SERGIO MENDES PRESENTS LOBO is also available along with a few old Mendes tracks on "lounge music" variety sets.

Sadly, there is no Brasil '77 material on there at all yet, other than the few tracks included on FOURSIDER. Also none of the 2nd A&M period material at all....yet.

I got TIMELESS in the mail yesterday from CD Japan along with the Carpenters 22 HITS (10th ANNIVERSARY EDITION). Since I didn't really know what to expect from TIMELESS, I saved it for 'exploration' for this morning with the house to myself.

With dialup at home, I'd not been able to sample any of the tracks online, and I'm not all that thrilled with previewing online samples anyway. But I did cheat the other day on the DSL at work, and listened to the whole "Mas Que Nada" track.

I put the disc into the computer, let Winamp load it up, and all of the track titles were in the CDDB, so off we went into TIMELESS-land.

OK, enough set-up, so how is it, already?
For the past hour, I've been virtually unable to sit still - this album has infectious rhythms that even has me typing this post to the constant beat of the final track, "Yes, Yes Y'all". The odd thing about the track is that it somehow wouldn't play in Winamp. It was listed, but wouldn't play. I had to take the disc out and put it in my main home CD player to get track 15 to play.

I'd actually not been looking forward to this album much. I'm not a rap fan, and don't think I ever will be. At 55, you'd think I'd be way past being able to accept and embrace modern sounds. But it's as if Sergio has tapped into some kind of fountain of youth here - like Herb Alpert so aptly put it on that first Brasil '66 album, "I feel like a kid with a new toy."

Yes, there's the dreaded "rap" in much of the album, but underneath it all is the unmistakable groove of the incredible Sergio Mendes. Yes folks, he's reinvented himself again; with will.i.am's help and influence, he's created a bridge from the '60's to the '00's. It's a bridge I wasn't sure I wanted to cross, but here I am on the other side, and the journey was an enjoyable ride.

For whoever asked, in this thread, if Lani Hall was given any credit: the answer is yes and no. In the song by song credits, samples are credited to just "Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66". But in the lengthy 'Thank You' section, the gracious Sergio mentions:

Sergio Mendes said:
Lani Hall Alpert - 40 years later - you sound as sexy as ever...

Count this old fogey as one who's VERY pleasantly surprised - and delighted. Thanks, Sergio - you did it AGAIN!

Harry
NP: TIMELESS - Sergio Mendes

I'm heartened (shall wait till it hits the shops here in the UK). I don't get all rap but I don't detest it. Hope he does more than one track on Leno! hope he talks about his creditable history, instead of some cockamamey "Brazil's greatest export!" intro!

Amazingly...after many listens, I think the strongest tracks are the rap tracks. And some like "Surfboard", that I detested on first 'sample' listening, are now among my favorites ("Melodically on Pee-ann-oh is Maestro Ser-Gee-Eye-Oh! Oh Oh Oh!")

I would really love a 'rap sheet' of the lyrics!

I just received my Japanese CD and there is no bonus track! Maybe they figured that with 15 tracks included, a bonus wasn't necessary. So save your money and buy American. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom