Sergio's Horizonte Aberto: I may actually be getting a copy

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
Ever since hearing about Sergio's excellent album Horizonte Aberto, I've wanted to get a copy of it. The closest I ever came was a CD-R which a member here was kind enough to send me, but I still wanted to have my own "factory" copy.

Amazon to the rescue. About a year ago, the album popped up on my "You may also like..." list. So I ordered it and... it was out of stock. Months went by, and it never showed up. After about six or seven months, I forgot about it.

Fast forward to this morning. I got an email from Amazon, saying I'm now supposed to receive the CD this coming Thursday, and do I still want it? Heck yes, I replied, so we'll see if it actually shows up. I don't think I'll hold my breath.

But that would be pretty cool...Horizonte Aberto and a brand new Herb Alpert album all in the same week!

I have a CD-R of that one also. (Can't recall if I've transferred it to the server yet.) Looks like some are still available:

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Horizonte Aberto

I was happy to find a decent copy of Quiet Nights a year or two ago. I'm surprised, the way the labels have reissued many of Sergio's earlier albums, that they haven't touched this one yet.

Over the past year or so I've been acquiring and enjoying the various ALEGRIA versions of the album that were released around the world with Graçinha singing the "Horizonte Aberto" song in Spanish, Italian, and English.

Well... the CD never showed up today. I got another email from Amazon today saying it's delayed till.... next Tuesday. I should start taking bets on when (or if) it actually ever shows up.

Aaaaaand there goes Tuesday. Still no CD. If I didn't already have a really good copy of this I'd be super annoyed -- as it is, I'm more like amused/befuddled. I wonder why they don't just cancel it. Probably computers fighting with computers.

Now I see that there are only two third party sellers listing it for sale.

Yeah, I wish they'd make up their mind. :laugh:

All this jabber - OCEANO is likely the most under-rated Sergio album ever! It's a fantastic
album really that needs more appreciation. Did any of you ever hear it???

Love OCEANO. Have two copies, one Japanese with bonus track. Yes, I find it's under-discussed, but not necessarily under-rated.

Heck yes I have it. It has two of my favorite post-A&M Sergio songs.... "Rio De Janiero" and "Holografico Olodum."

I do think Horizonte Aberto holds together better as an album though..... Oceano with its huge variety of vocals, languages and a few songs repeated, comes off as a little disjointed for me. (It's still great though, and sadly forgotten in the Mendes catalog.)

Marietta and Bonnie, not to mention Gracinha, were allowed to shine on the album. Carol, who was fairly new to the group, gets her licks in on Emorio.

All in all, one of my favorite Sergio albums, bar none!!

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

While OCEANO is out of print, it is currently easy to obtain for very cheap prices in the used market. HORIZONTE ABERTO is much harder to find, and therefore would tend to generate more conversation just because of its rarity.

[QUOTE = "Mike Blakesley, bericht: 181475, member: 7"] Sinds ik hoorde over Sergio's uitstekende album Horizonte Aberto , wilde ik er een kopie van krijgen. Het dichtst dat ik ooit kwam was een CD-R waarvan een lid hier zo vriendelijk was om mij te sturen, maar ik wilde nog steeds mijn eigen 'fabrieks'-kopie hebben.

Amazon tot de redding. Ongeveer een jaar geleden verscheen het album in mijn lijst "Je mag ook graag ...". Dus ik heb het besteld en ... het was niet op voorraad. Maanden gingen voorbij en het kwam nooit opdagen. Na ongeveer zes of zeven maanden was ik het vergeten.

Snel vooruit naar deze ochtend. Ik kreeg een e-mail van Amazon met de mededeling dat ik de CD nu aanstaande donderdag moet ontvangen en wil ik het nog steeds? Heck ja, ik antwoordde, dus we zullen zien of het daadwerkelijk verschijnt. Ik denk niet dat ik mijn adem zal inhouden.

Maar dat zou best cool zijn ... Horizonte Aberto en een gloednieuw album van Herb Alpert allemaal in dezelfde week! [/ QUOTE]

Dear Forum Members,
I bought the CD version of HORIZONTE ABERTO ( a 1994 print) at the Virgin Super Recordstore (out of business) in Amsterdam in the year 2000 on the Cast Label under linsence of SIGLA ( Sistema Globo de Gravaçoes Audio Visuala Ltda) nr.CGC-MF: 34 162 / 0001-08.
Pressed by SONOPRESSE ( a BMG company) sensura Protocol Geral No. 4129 .1994.

All the best, Aqua do Brasil

Back
Top Bottom