Sergio's Love Music CD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steven J. Gross said:
At Amazon:

Love Music [IMPORT]
Sergio Mendes, Brasil 77

List Price: $29.49
Price: $29.49 & This item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. See details.

Availability: This item will be released on May 26, 2003. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives. :?:

That seems rather expensive. Do you know from where it's being imported? Is this due for a worldwide release (UK???) too.
This is my favourite Sergio album, so I gotta have it. The cover is different from my UK vinyl release too.
Don't suppose that there any bonus tracks?
Has it been remastered or anything?

Thanks in advance,
Terry,
London

Lord Lurking said:
That seems rather expensive. Do you know from where it's being imported? Is this due for a worldwide release (UK???) too.
This is my favourite Sergio album, so I gotta have it. The cover is different from my UK vinyl release too. Don't suppose that there any bonus tracks Has it been remastered or anything? Thanks in advance...

Hi Lord Lurking!

And welcome to our Corner of the Internet!! Glad to have you here!!!

Agreed that Imports come with a high price, indeed. However, this isn't as bad as some copies of Brasil '86 that have appeared on eBay for well over $300 to $800 a pop! I'll go ahead and dole out $34.99 and $39.99 for Import releases of Love Music and Vintage '74 in a hearbeat. Seems like the most prudent thing to do. As for being remastered, I'm sure they have been. Previous bootlegs, found floating around eBay for a while, were obviosly burned directly from the Lp itself - pops, skips and needle hiss were quite evident on those. I'm sure the Love Music and Vintage '74 reissues were mastered using original studio tapes. As for bonus material, you've got me! There's talk of a Bell single that was released sometime around this period, but no one can remember its name. Sergio and Gracinha can't place it either. We're at a loss as to what it could be titled. Hopefully, as with Live At Expo and Primal Roots, there will, indeed, be extra material included with the new reissues.

Jon

Hi Lord Lurking!

And welcome to our Corner of the Internet!! Glad to have you here!!!

Hi Jon, :wave:

Thanks for the welcome.

Do you know why an artist presuambly based in the U.S. (?) has to have his material released as an import. Seems odd to me. I reluctantly accept that in the UK many titles are not released, but surely they should be in the US?
I assume that they are Japanese imports? They seem far more willing to reissue over there.
Amazon UK are not showing these titles yet, so the cost escalates for me to import an import! I will therefore be watching the forthcoming posts with baited breath. I hope that everyone who purchases this and the Vintage '74, which I also have on vinyl, along with his next self titled album and Home Cooking, will post there views on the quality etc.

Oh well, it's only money and you can't miss what you haven't got!

Terry

Do you know why an artist presuambly based in the U.S. (?) has to have his material released as an import. Seems odd to me.

That's just the nature of the beast. Sergio (like a lot of America-based artists) is more popular in Japan these days, hence the Japanese labels are more eager to release his music. My favorite example of this is the band America. For a long time, the only way to get CDs by America...was on Japanese imports!

I reluctantly accept that in the UK many titles are not released, but surely they should be in the US?

Not necessarily...the big labels only want to reissue what they think will sell big, and those probably aren't high on the list of possibilities!

I assume that they are Japanese imports?

Right. Most of the imported Mendes disks available these days are from Japan, with the exception of the BRASIL 88 and HOME COOKING disks, which are Brazilian. The quality on these is very good...they are probably not "32 bit remasters" or whatever the flavor of the week is, but they sound nice and clean without the pops, clicks and rumble, so they're excellent in my book.

My LOVE MUSIC and VINTAGE 74 CDs shipped today from Dusty Groove, so now I'm the one with the bated breath....can't wait to hear "Love Music" without inner-groove distortion after all these years.

Thanks for the news.

My LOVE MUSIC and VINTAGE 74 CDs shipped today from Dusty Groove, so now I'm the one with the baited breath....can't wait to hear "Love Music" without inner-groove distortion after all these years.

Please let me know what you think. I am now getting their newsletter, so I might be tempted. The postage cost of importing an import is rather high though. So I might try to source them from a UK based store first.

My favorite example of this is the band America. For a long time, the only way to get CDs by America...was on Japanese imports

Tell me about it. I now have their first five on CD, which only cost me six pounds each, which is rather a bargain. Alas no remastering or bonus tracks.

Terry

Mr Bill said:
The CD reissue Love Music front cover actually looks like a slightly modified version of the back cover, eliminating the images of some of the musicians. I agree -- keep the covers faithful to the original release but fill the inside (booklet AND disc) with extras not seen the first time around....

--Mr Bill

The covers of the actual CDs (now that they've arrived) are the same as the American LP releases. Looking over at that Japanese Sergio Mendes site, I see that their original Love Music LP is as pictured earlier in the thread.

http://homepage1.nifty.com/1966/bra77p3.htm#

I suppose when this was first announced, someone dug up the original Japanese artwork, but the release ultimately used the American style.

Curious.

Harry
NP: Love Music, Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77

--Mr Bill[/quote]

The covers of the actual CDs (now that they've arrived) are the same as the American LP releases. Looking over at that Japanese Sergio Mendes site, I see that their original Love Music LP is as pictured earlier in the thread.

http://homepage1.nifty.com/1966/bra77p3.htm#

I suppose when this was first announced, someone dug up the original Japanese artwork, but the release ultimately used the American style.

Curious.

Harry

Without rushing home from work to look, I believe that the UK cover was closer to that EP picture. It certainly was not the Japanese one. Are the US & UK identical, do you know?

What did you think of the quality of the CD against the vinyl? Was it worth the cost?

Curiouser and Curiouser
Terry

Don't know about the UK cover of Love Music. The US version is on that Japanese site down below. It says USA underneath it.

Are they worth it? I'd say yes, provisionally.
- If you're a completist, then it's a no-brainer. By all means get them. Those of us who have been waiting for thirty years are thrilled with them.

- If you're a casual fan who likes the A&M stuff but are lukewarm to the Bell stuff, then they're not as critical. My CD-Rs sounded pretty good, and other than a few splashy "s" sounds and some clicks and pops, they compare favorably, I think.

- If you're a new fan who's perhaps never heard the albums, then be aware that Love Music can be a little on the lite-pop side, while Vintage '74 is a little more adventurous into the Brazilian material. I like some of the pop on Love Music as well as the Brazilian tracks on Vintage '74. I can take or leave the Stevie Wonder tracks - they don't do much for me.

Harry
NP: radio at work

Harry said:
- If you're a new fan who's perhaps never heard the albums, then be aware that Love Music can be a little on the lite-pop side, while Vintage '74 is a little more adventurous into the Brazilian material. I like some of the pop on Love Music as well as the Brazilian tracks on Vintage '74. I can take or leave the Stevie Wonder tracks - they don't do much for me.

Harry
NP: radio at work

I prefer '77 to '66 and have four albums, including, those above on vinyl. I really like Love Music, but am less enthralled by Vintage '74. I have the next self titled album and Home Cooking too. Love Music is an album I have been wanting for some time on CD, but reading some of the posts, made me wonder whether I would be pleased with the end result compared to the extortionate cost of importing an import into UK. Apologies about asking a UK question, I only saw Nortn Wales against your name and made a wrong assumption

Regards,
Terry :confused:

Harry said:
If you're a casual fan who likes the A&M stuff but are lukewarm to the Bell stuff, then they're not as critical. My CD-Rs sounded pretty good, and other than a few splashy "s" sounds and some clicks and pops, they compare favorably, I think.

Are you talking about the splashy "s" sounds in regard to the remasters? I still hear them on mine. Although Brandon and I shared a discussion about Bonnie's voice in an earlier thread, it bears repeating that most of the "s" sound comes from the vocal inflection of Bonnie herself. She has a tendency to lisp -- although she has a sweet, melodic voice.

Harry said:
If you're a new fan who's perhaps never heard the albums, then be aware that Love Music can be a little on the lite-pop side, while Vintage '74 is a little more adventurous into the Brazilian material. I like some of the pop on Love Music as well as the Brazilian tracks on Vintage '74. I can take or leave the Stevie Wonder tracks - they don't do much for me.

I remember when Love Music was originally released. We played it as Mom was cooking dinner one night. I remember Mom making a comment that it was "lighter and fluffier...but the Mendes sound is definitely there..." I couldn't agree more. Bonnie really changed the sound of Brasil '77. Also, Alcivar really worked the vocal arrangements into a multi-layered kaleidoscope of sound. The vocals on Vintage '74, save for "Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing", are more straight-forward as opposed to the "fluffiness" of Love Music.

In truth, I've fallen in love (pardon the pun!) with the "fluffiness" of Love Music all over again. "Love Music," "Walk The Way You Talk" and "You Can't Dress Up A Broken Heart" sound great after all these years.

Jon

A person could almost make an LP-length compilation of Mendes covers of Stevie Wonder tunes:

Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing
Superstition
If You Really Love Me
I Believe When I Fall in Love It Will Be Forever
All in Love is Fair
Lookin' For Another Pure Love
Love City
The Real Thing

...and as a bonus track, Stevie Wonder's version of "Bird of Beauty" from his album FULFILLINGNESS' FIRST FINALE, which includes Portuguese lyrics translated by Sergio Mendes.

I must confess that I prefer Stevie's versions with the exception of "I Believe When I Fall in Love It Will Be Forever". Stevie's "Superstition", in particular, can never be improved upon.

If Sergio translated the lyrics to "Bird of Beauty", did he not record it himself? :shock:

Terry

Mike Blakesley said:
A person could almost make an LP-length compilation of Mendes covers of Stevie Wonder tunes:

Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing
Superstition
If You Really Love Me
I Believe When I Fall in Love It Will Be Forever
All in Love is Fair
Lookin' For Another Pure Love
Love City
The Real Thing

...and as a bonus track, Stevie Wonder's version of "Bird of Beauty" from his album FULFILLINGNESS' FIRST FINALE, which includes Portuguese lyrics translated by Sergio Mendes.

Actually I'm with you....I prefer the original Wonder versions of almost all those songs. I do like Sergio's version of "I Believe When I Fall...." though.

And, no, Sergio did not record "Bird of Beauty."

Mike Blakesley said:
Actually I'm with you....I prefer the original Wonder versions of almost all those songs. I do like Sergio's version of "I Believe When I Fall...." though.

Well I guess that I am going to have to shell out for the imports of imports. The more that I read the more that I REALLY want them.
I have just had my appetited wetted today with the Postman delivering The Very Best of Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 double CD with 48 tracks thereon. Perfect late night music. Doesn't wake the kids up nor annoy the neighbours (ah that's the downside!). Was an absolute bargain at eleven pounds (sixteen dollars). Great mixture from all of the albums. Now I am going want to buy all of the albums (sigh). Know where I can get a loan?

Terry :cussing:

Lord Lurking said:
I have just had my appetited wetted today with the Postman delivering The Very Best of Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 double CD with 48 tracks thereon. Perfect late night music. Doesn't wake the kids up nor annoy the neighbours (ah that's the downside!). Was an absolute bargain at eleven pounds (sixteen dollars). Great mixture from all of the albums. Now I am going want to buy all of the albums (sigh). Know where I can get a loan?

Terry :cussing:

That set is quite comprehensive, giving you about 70% of all Brasil '66 studio-recorded work right there on two discs. The remaining songs:

Upa, Neguinho
Slow Hot Wind
The Frog (A Ra)
Canto Triste
Crystal Illusions
Watch What Happens
Laia Ladaia (Reza)
Berimbau
Look Around
Casa Forte
Song Of No Regrets
Celebration Of The Sunrise
Festa
O Pato
Gente
Lapinha
Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay
When Summer Turns To Snow
Tristeza
Stillness (reprise)

and

The Christmas Song

...are all that's left out of the set. You can get seven of these on the Fool on The Hill disc alone, and the "Stillness (reprise)" is really just a fade-up of the final verse of "Stillness" which IS there.

Still, I know the feeling. That Very Best Of Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 set was my first import purchase. It wasn't very long after that that I found myself buying up the Japanese imports just to get everything else.

Harry
...completist, online...

You can get seven of these on the Fool on The Hill disc alone, and the "Stillness (reprise)" is really just a fade-up of the final verse of "Stillness" which IS there.

Still, I know the feeling. That Very Best Of Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 set was my first import purchase. It wasn't very long after that that I found myself buying up the Japanese imports just to get everything else.

Harry
...completist, online...[/quote]

Great!! Thanks for the list. That's very useful to know.
Not sure I am that much of a completist, so I might just settle for "Fool On the Hill" and call it quits...on the other hand..... :)

Now all I need is a similar disk for Herb Alpert, which alas there does not seem to be ...sigh
:cry:

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom