Serigo Mendes greatest hits

bob

hi guys how you all doing? I was cleaning our basement and I came across a lot of other A&M artists. the one I came across was Sergio Mendes and the Brasil 66 with the gate fold.I have the two covers. one with the brown cover and one with the light green cover. so my question is which one was the first pressing?
thanks take care
bob

I think it may have been the case that the brownish/orange cover was the first used. Then, perhaps because it looked too much like Herb's GREATEST HITS, the color was changed to the fluorescent green that exists to this day.

I remember Paula insisting that she had one with an orange cover, and in one of her "packages" to me, she included a color Xerox copy of that orange cover. This one, I found on the web - and have personally never run across an orange-covered copy.

Greatest Hits brown.jpg
51GT0YYN1JL.jpg

Harry

Maybe I have been influenced by Sergio's more recent covers or maybe I'm just used to the green one, but to me the green cover just seems more Sergio-ish.

Probably just me being used to the one I saw first. And probably the same reason why I'll always like Carpenters takes on Beatles tunes better than the Beatles' originals.

I always leaned towards the light green cover in my collection, too... Because it's much easier to find, and I believe the color change was necessary to distinguish it from the orange Herb ALBERT'S Greatest Hits--well, that's what the spine of that orange one says...! :)

Seems like anything Beatles, Sergio and Co. were also good at tackling better, to me, as well...

-- Dave

TJB's was orange; BMB was more of a dark red or maroon color.

I never noticed it before, but when they changed the Sergio background color, they also changed all the other colors around... the rainbows on the side, and the artist/title text colors too.

hi guys how you all doing? I was cleaning our basement and I came across a lot of other A&M artists. the one I came across was Sergio Mendes and the Brasil 66 with the gate fold.I have the two covers. one with the brown cover and one with the light green cover. so my question is which one was the first pressing?
thanks take care
bob
The first time that I saw the Greatest Hits it had the green cover. I found one years later with the brown cover at a thrift store. The original pressings still had the old label on the record and maybe the later pressing had the new style label on the record. If the brown packaging has the new style label it is from a later pressing. My copies are currently packed away and I have never looked at the record label in the darker cover. I just bought it to have it as an extra copy.
Have a great Christmas Season everyone!
Bill

Back
Top Bottom