!Shoot-out! Claudine vs. Astrud (1965-1969) -- Round 1of 3: "Think Of Rain"

Select your favourite version

• Claudine Longet

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Astrud Gilberto

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

JOv2

This might be interesting… To be fair to Claudine we’ll lay off the Portuguese numbers — and likewise no French stuff for Astrud.

Here's a case where the first version I ever heard was Claudine's, back around 1998 when I got her first four CDs and the Digitally Remastered comp from Japan which also included "Think Of Rain".

Just now, for the first time, I've heard Astrud's version, and I believe I like it a lot better. I'll vote for Astrud.

I like the gentle sway -- ala God Only Knows or Penny Lane -- of Claudine's version; but, like Harry, I'll take Astrud on this one. I like her vocal here (in terms of her vocal work, her final two Verve LPs are her best) -- also the electric bass guitar work is notable.

I'll go with Claudine although both versions are nice. One of A&M's best features were the great arrangements for singers like Longet & Chris Montez. It's the arrangement that wins me over here. The organ is a nice touch and the song builds slowly and pleasantly. Also, I did hear Claudine's version first and that may have influenced me with my choice. I should also mention that this song was written by the wonderful Margo Guryan. Margo was married to trombonist Bob Brookmeyer and was Creed Taylor's secretary. She also wrote "Sunday Morning" which the BMB had a cool rendition of.

Back
Top Bottom