!Shoot-out! Claudine vs. Jeanette (1971-1973) "Look What They Done To My Song"

Who did "Look What They Done To My Song" better?

• Claudine Longet

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Jeanette Dimech

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
I thought I'd have a little fun with one of these shoot-out threads and the Melanie song, "Look What They Done To My Song." First off, neither of these recordings has appeared on A&M, but obviously Cluadine Longet as an artist, has. Her recording is one from her Barnaby years after she left A&M.

Meanwhile, Jeanette Dimech is a rather international singer, born in London, raised in Chicago and California, and moved to Barcelona at 12. Her biggest fame was in Spain. A recommendation here got me to listen to one of her songs and buy an older album, mostly in Spanish. She used only her first name professionally as just Jeanette, and on one of her early albums, did this same French song. Her vocal stylings are very much in the mold of Claudine Longet with her 'little-girl" whispery voice.

It's kind of interesting that both of these ladies did this one song. Did one do a better job?

For some reason, Claudine's voice makes me think of Yoko Ono (...when Ono was taking a break from her hideous "assorted sounds not associated with humans" that was apparently her fancy).

I would take Jeanette's except that she goes a bit over-the-top for me by injecting too much emotion into the story; so, I'll go with Claudine's more reserve reading.

(As for the song, it never was a favourite. The odd allowance for the "ma" fragment (which, of course, needs to be there to exemplify the issue...) always bothered me in a "look what I'm doing to THIS song, Ma" manner; but, that's the point. All the more, does anyone know what Melanie song the story is about?)

Wow. I like them both -- and they're SO similar. But I voted for Claudine, because, well... Claudine!

Back
Top Bottom