🔊 Audio Show us your colored vinyl!

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
We've done some of this in the past, but here's a great place to show off your colored vinyl! With some recent additions, I wanted to combine them all in one place. I may be missing a couple but otherwise, they should mostly be here. I did not upload many records that were the same color as those in this collection--no need for multiple images of red vinyl, for instance.

The most recent additions are the three LP reissues from The Cramps.

From Songs The Lord Taught Us, the "hot pink" matches the front cover lettering.

IMG_20190308_161740-02.jpeg

Here is Psychedelic Jungle pressed in "goo goo muck green".

IMG_20190308_161955-02.jpeg

And from Bad Music For Bad People, here is a yellow pressing. The vinyl has a slight orange cast to it, unlike the cover which is a bold, bright yellow.

IMG_20190308_161834-02.jpeg

The two colored Fantasy records I have just happen to be orange.

The Cal Tjader Trio 10" LP is in a translucent orange:

IMG_20190311_232549-02.jpeg

Jazz Impressions of A Boy Named Charlie Brown (Vince Guaraldi Trio) is an opaque orange.

IMG_20190312_133459-01.jpeg

Tomita's The Bermuda Triangle was allegedly pressed on two different colors of vinyl, one of them being an opaque coral pink. (I tried to correct the color as close as possible on these, but it came out slightly dark here.)

IMG_20190312_135430-03.jpeg

Fresh out of Minneapolis is a reissue of The Time's What Time Is It? on an opaque green splatter vinyl pressing:

IMG_20190312_133151-01.jpeg

And the "Purple Rain" 12" is in an appropriate opaque color:

IMG_20190312_141954-01.jpeg

This batch is transparent.

Here are two from Herbie's recent Xmas album:

IMG_20190312_133012-01.jpeg

IMG_20190312_132805-01.jpeg

A 3-record set of 12" singles from Herb's Keep Your Eye On Me album was released as a promotional item, and contained red, blue and clear pressings of three different singles. As we have plenty of red here, the clear and blue singles are shown:

IMG_20190312_135333-01.jpeg

IMG_20190312_135006-01.jpeg

Donald Fagen's Sunken Condos came in a 2-LP clear vinyl pressing as well:

IMG_20190312_133329-01.jpeg

The "West Side Story" movie soundtrack was reissued by Music On Vinyl, on an expanded 2-LP set. (If you have the CD version of this, these LPs have the same track lineup, not the abbreviated version that appeared on the original release.) The opaque red vinyl perfectly matches the red front cover art.

IMG_20190312_134340-01.jpeg

A transparent yellow vinyl was used for Lemon's 12" single release "Freak On".

IMG_20190312_134137-01.jpeg

The "Pink Panther" soundtrack has been reissued a few times. This one is via RCA/Legacy, on a rather appropriate color I would think (a rather close match to our favorite panther).

IMG_20190312_134532-01.jpeg

I swore I had an album in a white vinyl pressing, but maybe not! If I find a few others, I will post them here.

Anyone else have some colors to share?

Sadly I don't have any colored vinyl myself but the pics shown are beautiful and the West side story one I remember the Label because my mom's copy of it had that exact one and I like the Herb 12 inch single variations I used to have the clear vinyl version of the Rise 12 inch single I don't remember what became of it but at least you got a nice treasure chest of Goodies there.the Pink Panther lp is quite the nice appropriate color and my black regular copy had the same vintage RCA label These somewhat bring back Wonderful memories.

A couple Christmases ago, we attended a Mannheim Steamroller Concert and the wife bought me a souvenir vinyl for Christmas. It's a two record set - and it turned out to be a surprise, blue vinyl.
IMG_3197.JPG

During my time working at radio stations, I picked up a few odds and ends on colored vinyl. This 45 is at least a good track - The Tymes doing "You Little Trustmaker" on clear yellow vinyl.

IMG_3198.JPG

It took forever, but I did finally locate that Herb 3-record set of red, white, and blue. And I also have the clear vinyl of "Rise".

I have the clear vinyl of "Rotation", but that was the poorest packaging for a 12" single as most of the hit side was exposed in the packaging, without a sleeve. So mine of course is a bit noisy. I've seen clear copies of "Rise" but most by now are destroyed, and not worth playing. I had the black 12" from the week it was released--never saw a clear copy locally. Never saw "Rotation" 12" for sale here either, or I would have picked it up.

That set of Herb's 12" singles was plentiful around here--had I known how scarce, I would have bought all of them from the one store I frequented that had a few more copies in stock.

In the early 45 RPM days, I believe RCA used to release different label series on different colored vinyl.

Fantasy also used to release mono records on clear red vinyl with red labels, and stereo on blue vinyl with blue labels.

Christmas seems to be a popular time for labels to do colored vinyl, particularly red and green. Here's a 45 EP from a John Denver & The Muppets Christmas special on red vinyl with a green RCA label:
IMG_3199.JPG

Even the stoic John Lennon had a green single for "Happy Xmas / War Is Over":
IMG_3200.JPG

Not to be outdone, former Beatle Paul McCartney's wife Linda had a single under the name of Suzy and The Red Stripes. This Epic promo single is on red vinyl, of course, from Paul's days with Columbia:
IMG_3201.JPG

In the Herb Alpert 12" section, I have another few colored vinyl records. Here's a semi-rare one - Herb's Latin title track from NOCHE DE AMOR on red vinyl:
IMG_3202.JPG

And when your single is titled "Red Hot", what other color would do?
IMG_3203.JPG

And here's that "Rise" 12" on clear vinyl ("Aranuez" is on the flip):
IMG_3204.JPG

That promo single if Suzy and the Red Stripes is pretty rare and very sought after by collectors. Nice!

I have a promo of that "Red Hot" single. Seems that red is kind of an overhwhelming color choice. I have the Brothers Johnson "Strawberry Letter #23" b/w the rare extended version of "Get The Funk Out Ma Face." The A-side, though, is cut at a faster speed, a semi-tone too fast. I end up slowing the turntable down to the correct pitch when I play that one. (And sadly, the vinyl is so soft that it got a scratch part way through the song.)

I have the Beach Boys “Pet Sounds” reissue From 2006 that has the green and gold records (don’t know if there transparent as I’ve kept the set sealed). Plus I’ve got 2 copies of Brian Wilson’s 2005 45, “What I Really Want For Christmas” pressed in white vinyl.

Early RCA 45s came in colors, based on the series--red for classical, black for popular, green for country music, etc. This didn't last long, as it was expensive to produce colored vinyl back then.

Bruce Springsteen’s new release has a blue and white vinyl version that looks looks like puffy clouds in the sky. I’d love to get a copy of that.

I had Grand Funk’s “American Band” on gold vinyl. Not sure what happened to that. Probably lost in a move.

Hmm, here it seems to have a dappled blue/white effect. Another picture I saw looked more like clouds. I’m confused now.

It's hard to create consistent multicolored vinyl, so each one pressed might not have the same effect. It does make each one unique though. The vinyl starts out as colored "beads" that are combined to make the unique coloring.

The group Starz who has a gold vinyl 45 single called "Cherry Baby" back in 1977 on Capitol!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Here are a couple recent finds (photos...I didn't buy these):

This is "flaming orange and yellow" apparently:

Blood filled.
5313bb11bd26d4d21e1590f233971ae6.jpg

Aside from What Time Is It? by The Time (which barely qualifies), I'm finally in the "splatter" club now. As posted in the Now Spinning thread:

Back
Top Bottom