Sinatra/Jobim Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
So far, I have Francis Albert Sinatra/Antonio Carlos Jobim (10 tracks), the first side of Sinatra & Co. (7 tracks), and three extra tracks from the "suitcase" ("Desafinado", "Song of the Sabia", "Bonita"). Together, these make for a handy CD. The latter three tracks were arranged by Eumir Deodato and conducted by Morris Stoloff, just like the other Sinatra & Co. tracks.

Looking around the web this morning, I found another website that showed an overseas double-LP set that reportedly had the "complete" Sinatra/Jobim sessions.

http://www.jobim.com.br/dischist/sinatra/sinatr_jobim_sess_eng.html

What throws me about this set is that there are two additional tracks that aren't within the 20 tracks I already have. Here's one:

11- Drinking Again
Johnny Mercer / Doris Tauber

It could be possible this would have been Sinatra/Jobim...after all, they did record "Change Partners" (Irving Berlin) and "I Concentrate on You" (Cole Porter) on their first album together. Then there's this track:

21- Manhã de Carnaval - A Day in the Life of a Fool
Luiz Bonfá / Antonio Maria / Carl Sigman

At first glance, this is a logical choice. However, this song, with its English lyrics, was a typical hack-'em-up for the Vegas circuit--I never did care for it, except in its original Brazilian version.

Before I eat my words, I'm only guessing that these were not part of any of the Sinatra/Jobim sessions. The first is questionable...but the second, I'm thinking, may have been included by default only for its Brazilian roots. It could be that whoever compiled this album did not have access to the proper session information.

Here's something Harry forwarded to me:

http://members.aol.com/SinatraArchive/repsong.htm

This lists session information. I can see that "Drinking Again" was indeed recorded on the same day as "Insensatez" and "Once I Loved." However, "Something Stupid" (w/ Nancy Sinatra) was also recorded this same day! (This qualifies as a "good day at the office". :wink: ) But just because the tracks were recorded on the same day doesn't necessarily mean that the track belongs with the Jobim recordings. There are no personnel listings, so we don't even know if Jobim was perhaps playing guitar or piano at these sessions or not.

"A Day In The Life Of A Fool" was recorded 2/20/69, with Don Costa arranging and conducting. IMHO, not even remotely related, other than being written in Brazil. :neutral:

Final thought: I believe that Jobim appeared on a TV special with Frank Sinatra. Have these tracks ever been put on CD, or are they just out here on VHS and Laserdisc? (There were some expensive video sets available for awhile. I don't think they ever made it to DVD.)

I'm content to call this complete at 20 tracks.

-= N =-

P.S. It's a crime that "Bonita" never made it onto an official Sinatra album. That's a "goosebumps" rendition of the song if I've ever heard one!

Amazon lists this as available:

6305323550.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Songs include: Day In Day Out, Get Me To The Church On Time, What Now My Love?, Ol' Man River, Body & Soul (Ella), It's Alright With Me (Ella), Medley (With Ella): How High The Moon/Up Up & Away/Look Out for Jimmy Valentine/Theme to "Tony Rome"/Goody Goody/Don't Cry Joe/Ode to Billie Joe/Goin' Out of My Head, Medley (With Jobim): Change Partners/I Concentrate on You/The Girl from Ipanema, Medley (With Ella): The Song is You/They Can't Take That Away from Me/Stompin' at the Savoy/At Long Last Love, Don't Be That Way (Ella), The Lady Is A Tramp (Frank & Ella), and Put Your Dreams Away.

Harry
...amazed at how long he's been dealing with Frank Sinatra, online...

I wonder if I can rent it and transfer the audio from the live tracks digitally? :D I'm surprised Jobim wasn't on more of the tracks (more than just one medley, IOW).

Does anyone here have the original LP of Sinatra/Jobim? I only have the CD and was looking for large scan of the photo on the cover.

-= N =-

"Drinking Again" is one of the prettiest songs I've ever heard. In the liner notes to a Nancy Sinatra CD I have it says that "Somethin' Stupid" was recorded after one of the Jobim album sessions. They moved those musicians out and Nancy's in. Carson Parks says "I understand that Frank Sinatra liked the guitars on ours so much that he had the same musician (Al Casey) repeat his part." That's the reason for the guitars.
I always thought that song had some sort of Brazilian feel, just not as quiet. "Drinking Again" was recorded at the same session as "Once I Loved", "How Insensitive", and then "Somethin' Stupid" would be recorded with Billy Strange's arrangement and conducting. "Stupid..." and "Drinking.." would appear on 1967's The World We Knew , not even close to a Jobim album.
So Neil, what you have is good information, of course I had to add my part.:cool: Now, "Somethin' Stupid" really does not belong in a Sinatra/ Jobim compilation because of Billy Strange arranging and conducting, no sign of Ogerman or Jobim on that one. Joe, getting ready to play Sinatra's The Reprise Collection

Neil-The possibility of audio versions of the '60s+ '70s Sinatra TV shows are not out of the question. I believe this material is controlled by the family(Tina) and Warner is a licensee. There is a live recording with the Buddy Rich band(Concert for the Americas) and Sid Mark has played audio portions on both his syndicated and Philadelphia broadcasts with the family's consent. Also,after six years,there is a box set of Frank's actual soundtrack songs(not studio versions)just out and featured in the current Collector's Choice catalog. This was an item many Sinatra fans thought they would ever see in legitimate form. The Tv specials are not far behin on many wish lists. Mac

The Sinatra/Jobim medley is on a bootleg cd called "TV World" (not that I condone bootlegs, mind you). The cd compiles a long list of Sinatra TV performances throughout the years, starting with a duet with Elvis Presley from the late fifties that had Frank singing "Love Me Tender" and Elvis singing "Witchcraft"! Several duets with Ella are also included, along with a charming duet with Gene Kelly where Frank sings "Nice 'n' Easy" and Gene taps along.

The cd-rom was put out by a fly-by-night outfit called "Concho." As I remember, the sound was pretty good, although you will probably do better recording the sound from the DVD, as you suggested in your post.

I'm betting you'll want to buy the DVD after you rent it, because it's a terrific show and the medley with Jobim is my favorite Sinatra TV moment of all time. Both men are at their casual best, perfectly in tune with the relaxed and fluid rhythms of the bossa nova tunes they are singing. Nelson Riddle's arrangements are low key and surprisingly effective, not what you'd normally expect from this swinging arranger of uptempo, brassy charts.

Jobim for the most part strums his guitar and let's Frank take care of the vocals, although he does contribute vocally here and there and his Brazilian accent helps set the overall mood.

This one is a real gem and definitely belongs on your Sinatra/Jobim compilation cd.

---SteveM

Rudy said:
I wonder if I can rent it and transfer the audio from the live tracks digitally? :D I'm surprised Jobim wasn't on more of the tracks (more than just one medley, IOW).

Does anyone here have the original LP of Sinatra/Jobim? I only have the CD and was looking for large scan of the photo on the cover.

-= N =-
I have ass well as the original Francis Albert Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim LP version and the CD as well the Second Sinatra/Jobim LP 5 track production (produced by Eumnir Deodato)
Regards, Aqua do Brasil

A note on the brevity of Jobim's involvement in Frank's career. At the time,Frank was the master of multi-tasking-movies,records,live performances-sometimes all of these activities in a 24 hour period-as well as keeping that notorious personal life of women,family and terrorizing gossip columnists. He was notorious for as few takes on a film as necessary and,when you look at it,there isn't really a lot of "lost" or unreleased studio material in the Reprise box,considering it spans a quarter century of exclusive recording. In some ways,it was amazing that he even started Jobim Part II;that he recorded as much with Basie as he did;that he eventually did an Ellington album. The only obvious person missing,as discussed earlier,was a studio album with Ella. I am grateful for what is available and glad that he took so much care and preparation on his one true gift-his voice. Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom