"Sing"- KC & RC singing overdubbed "la la la"

Would Karen & Richard overdubbing the "La la la" bits on 'Sing' have been better?

• YES

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • NO

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

Simon KC1950

so I was just listening to Sing and thought wouldn't it be great if Karen and Richard sang the "La la la" bits instead of the children's choir. They could have overdubbed it like the "Waaa's" on Close To You or the "sha la la" 's on Yesterday Once More.
It would have been great to hear or at least interesting.
I think if they did that with sing it could have been a bigger hit and become a bigger fan favourite.
Any thoughts?

To be honest, I think they joined in with the choir (or at least Karen did) when they recorded it. So her voice is there somewhere, buried in the mix :)

Yep, they did sing in unison with the kids' part, and it's mixed down. Logically, they always did the same live! I'd say, as a single going without the choir works. But, IMO it's a pretty nice gesture explaining they picked local choirs etc. - the whole sequence brought some welcome variety and interest to the shows.

This video removed the choir as far as possible to leave Carpenters singing only, I guess closest we'd get to the song without the kids:

Although not one of my favorites, I must admit that "Sing," in its original form, is catchy. The children's choir adds a bit of charm and novelty to the production. That 1973 single is indeed "simple to last your whole life long." A gold record that peaks at #3 is quite an achievement!

While not one of my favorite songs either, I don't believe a version without the kids chorus would've ever made it big on the album rock stations due to the sweet nature of the song so I think R & K made the right call to go all in with the children singers. Besides, it always worked as a live number bringing the kids on stage!

The children choir adds to the youthful, childlike tone of the lyrics; don't overthink things like kids do, just sing and try to be as happy as possible.

Their joyful "la's" against with Karen's chilling vocal makes for a fascinating, resonating contrast.

Back
Top Bottom