Singer Janis Hansen in "The Carnival"

Status
Not open for further replies.

nativo

Janis Hansen sang in another band after leaving Brasil '66. i ordered the cd called "The Carnival" by the group "The Carnival" from Dusty Groove and LOVE IT!

I was hoping that maybe the cd cover would give a little background information about the musicians. I know the percussionist from Brasil '66 "Jose Soares" was listed in the credits....but no mention of Janis or the other lady singer was listed?

on the inside was a folded insert....one side has the lyrics in English and the other side seems to be a "background" about the group written in Japanese. I am very curious about this group the Carnival...and i'm particularly interested in obtaining more information about them....

any Japanese to English translators out there that have this album?

jim

I've thought about getting that translated, too. I know I was left speechless a couple of years ago when I was going through my sister-in-law's record collection in Wisconsin and she had the LP version. Speechless became dumbstruck when she told me that she had gone to a party where they had performed (she grew up in Beverly Hills), that they had been very popular in LA, and that her high school classmate Derek Alpert (evidently Herb's nephew, though my sis-in-law didn't know that!) had gotten her the LP as a gift. I'd love to know what those liner notes say.

This looks like the dream project of Bones Howe, who, for another Liberty group -- The Fifth Dimension -- had done the same. (See 'Stoned Soul Picnic' LP also arranged by Bob Alcivar, Bill Holman, and Bones Howe, among others). With 'The Carnival', these same arrangers fused a masterpiece in their one-shot for Liberty's World Pacific label, calling on the cream of hot L.A. studio musicians like Hal Blaine, John Guerin, Joe Osborne, Tom Tedesco, Jimmy Rowles, and Pete Jolly.
Somehow Liberty blew it, maybe because their World Pacific imprint hadn't handled much pop product (unless Peter Sarstedt matters to anyone). Liberty had just been sold to United Artists, who were probably trying to trim this far-flung roster of offshoot labels and artists. I'd wager 'The Carnival' got excised in UA's slash-and-burn. Nearly all the copies I've seen of this LP have got cut corners, i.e. deleted product. For me, it was love at first listen, i.e. 'deleted' to meet you!

To those who have the CD: Is the track listing correct? I have the LP, which on the jacket lists "Laia Ladaia" as Side One, Track One, but on the record itself, "Canto de Carnival" shows up as Side One, Track One. The jacket lists this "Canto de Carnival" as being in the middle of Side Two.

"Laia Ladaia" got some airplay on the radio back when this album was released, and their version of Roger Nichols' "Love So Fine" is a fine arrangement of the song. (But then again, I've never heard a BAD version of "Love So Fine"!)

My copy of the LP doesn't have a corner cut-out, but is stamped on the back, "AUDITION COPY." I got it from a radio station.

The Carnival
World Pacific Records WPS-21894

Side One:
Canto de Carnival (The Carnival)
Laia Ladaia (Lobo-Guerra-Gimbel)
Sweets For My Sweet (Pomas-Shuman)
Take Me For A Little While (Trade Martin)
Turn, Turn, Turm (To Everything There Is A Season) (Pete Seeger)
Hope (Aldebert-Aldebert)
Walk On By (Bacharach-David)

Side Two:
A Famous Myth (Jeffrey Camanor)
Son Of A Preacher Man (Hurley-Wilkins)
Reach Out For Me (Bacharach-David)
Love So Fine (Nichols-Asher)
The Word (Lennon-McCartney)

Harry
NP: THE CARNIVAL, The Carnival

JMK said:
I've thought about getting that translated, too. I know I was left speechless a couple of years ago when I was going through my sister-in-law's record collection in Wisconsin and she had the LP version. Speechless became dumbstruck when she told me that she had gone to a party where they had performed (she grew up in Beverly Hills), that they had been very popular in LA, and that her high school classmate Derek Alpert (evidently Herb's nephew, though my sis-in-law didn't know that!) had gotten her the LP as a gift. I'd love to know what those liner notes say.

Wow! your sister in law may not realize just how lucky she was to see this especially talented and unique group performing live on the stage. i will always wonder just what happened to Janis Hansen? Some people say that she went into an acting career afterwards...but i know someone who met Sergio Mendes at one of his latest concerts in LA. Sergio said that Janis Hansen (the one from Brasil '66) never had an acting career. Through internet searches i was able to find pictures of the other Janis Hansen (they do look a bit alike with long hair and facial features) but Sergio verified that they are not the same person.

Harry said:
To those who have the CD: Is the track listing correct? I have the LP, which on the jacket lists "Laia Ladaia" as Side One, Track One, but on the record itself, "Canto de Carnival" shows up as Side One, Track One. The jacket lists this "Canto de Carnival" as being in the middle of Side Two.

"Laia Ladaia" got some airplay on the radio back when this album was released, and their version of Roger Nichols' "Love So Fine" is a fine arrangement of the song. (But then again, I've never heard a BAD version of "Love So Fine"!)

My copy of the LP doesn't have a corner cut-out, but is stamped on the back, "AUDITION COPY." I got it from a radio station.

The Carnival
World Pacific Records WPS-21894

Side One:
Canto de Carnival (The Carnival)
Laia Ladaia (Lobo-Guerra-Gimbel)
Sweets For My Sweet (Pomas-Shuman)
Take Me For A Little While (Trade Martin)
Turn, Turn, Turm (To Everything There Is A Season) (Pete Seeger)
Hope (Aldebert-Aldebert)
Walk On By (Bacharach-David)

Side Two:
A Famous Myth (Jeffrey Camanor)
Son Of A Preacher Man (Hurley-Wilkins)
Reach Out For Me (Bacharach-David)
Love So Fine (Nichols-Asher)
The Word (Lennon-McCartney)

Harry
NP: THE CARNIVAL, The Carnival

Harry,

Yes...the cd has the same songs as the lp. Unfortunately, no bonus tracks on there.

nativo

Actually, The Carnival survived the UA merger, as they released one more single on the UA imprint, "Where There's a Heartache" (from "Butch Cassidy"), which, like "Laia Ladaia," made the AC charts for a couple of weeks.

JMK said:
Actually, The Carnival survived the UA merger, as they released one more single on the UA imprint, "Where There's a Heartache" (from "Butch Cassidy"), which, like "Laia Ladaia," made the AC charts for a couple of weeks.

Hey JMK,

Very interesting....
i'll have to listen to that sometime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom