⭐ Official Review [Single]: 11. "SING"/"DRUSCILLA PENNY" (1413-S)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "Sing"

Votes: 45 86.5%
  • Side B: "Druscilla Penny"

Votes: 7 13.5%

• Total voters
But two weeks later (April 21, 1973), it was at its peak:

Billboard4_21_73.jpg

This chart is from the actual DAY I saw them ‘live’! I remember Richard asking the audience, “By now you might have heard our latest hit single, ‘Sing’’? The crowd roared and then they brought up the kids from a local Kansas City elementary school.

They’re playing the entire Bing Crosby Christmas Shows on Get—TV today, and I just saw what Gary wrote above. Fred Astaire and Bing planning an album of duets together. The first song they do is “Sing,” holding Carpenters sheet music while performing the song. Good catch Gary!

They’re playing the entire Bing Crosby Christmas Shows on Get—TV today, and I just saw what Gary wrote above. Fred Astaire and Bing planning an album of duets together. The first song they do is “Sing,” holding Carpenters sheet music while performing the song. Good catch Gary!

I actually include a couple of screen shots in the quad 8-track version of ‘Da Doo Ron Ron’ of Bing and Fred from that scene.
We’ve got some good memories here at the Corner. 👍👍

The full Robert Young Special, June 1973, what is surprising to me is how little time
onscreen Karen and Richard appear:

he cut out the songs saturday and sometimes! i mailed the man of the channel and called him about this songs. He will post it but i must pay money for it! 25 dollar or more... but.. i am 14 and i don´t have much money! many fans including me want to see this in good quality! so if you´re interested you can mail the email adress in the video description . the only quality of saturday video and sometimes is just crappy

Many thanks to Billy Rees for this audio, Carpenters in Concert 1973,
In particular, Karen sings Sing a little slower....how fantastic is it (Sing is at 26:36) !
Here:

Loved that! Thanks for posting it. K&R and the band sound very relaxed. I like the slower versions, the banter, the humour, the slightly different arrangements....and, of course, Karen's vocals.

I wish Karen and Richard had done a promotional video for Sing.Or even performed it on Sesame street if they had been invited to on the show.

I’m surprised Karen in particular was never invited to guest on either Sesame Street or The Muppets. Her ability to sing, her sense of humour and love of children would have made her the perfect guest.
We did get that photo of Karen with Miss Piggy. Apparently Karen was around the set of “John Denver and the Muppets: Christmas Together” in 79.

Many thanks to Billy Rees for this audio, Carpenters in Concert 1973,
In particular, Karen sings Sing a little slower....how fantastic is it (Sing is at 26:36) !
Here:

People have said that they wished Karen was guided to record only more 'substantial' songs in her life-time, rather than songs like 'Sing', but when you hear on live recordings how well the song suited her voice, you realise it was a perfect choice. She sounds incredible on parts of 'Sing' in this concert. The beauty of her tone is heavenly.

Over on another internet forum, I've run into a member who has mentioned that "Sing" was released as a single in a shorter edit, losing eight bars. I've never heard of such a thing and wondered if anyone else has come across a shorter version.

I've got both a promo and stock single and they all clock in at around 3:17 - 3:20.

My theory is that perhaps some radio station he heard edited the song to get it under 3:00, maybe to get rid of some of the kids chorus. (?)

One note that has been mentioned in another thread – the Japanese translation of "Sing" was brilliant.

My only challenge with this song is that one chord at the beginning of "Sing of love there could be," which was fixed when Richard remixed it, but I prefer the sound of the 1973 Wurlitzer to the sharp piano he chose for the remix!

How wonderful it would have been to hear a studio recording of the Japanese version of "Sing"!

Kindergarteners share love through music, sign language
"Songs included catchy tunes such as “Sing” by the Carpenters.
Excited about their performance, the students really got into the chorus,
enthusiastically belting out “La la la la la la, la la la la la la, la la la la la la la…”
to loud applause."

Source:

Back
Top Bottom