1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Official Review [Single]: 13. "TOP OF THE WORLD"/"HEATHER" (1468-S)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Aug 20, 2016.

Which side is your favorite?

1. Side A: "Top Of The World"

38 vote(s)
    95.0%
  2. Side B: "Heather"

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

To my knowledge that’s never been uploaded online anywhere.

2. will1966

will1966 New Member

OK, this brings up something that has bothered me for over 40 years. Why are there two separate pronunciations of "world" in this song? In the first chorus, "world" has a definite "British" sounding pronunciation with a rounded "R" sound, and in the next chorus the R is a more hardened American pronunciation. I remember noticing this when I was 8 years old and trying to figure it out.

3. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

And, 'food for thought'....
    Karen drums Top Of The World--1973 White House Performance--
    although, Hal Blaine does those duties on 1972's Song For You Lp.

4. David A

David A Active Member

Top of the World, of course. I say 'of course' because an instrumental can be pleasant but without Karen's voice I lose interest quickly.

Some here have talked about Karen's vocal inflections and accents; she does seem to choose differing pronunciations at times - sometimes in the same song, on the same word(s). I've often wondered if these were conscious choices, or Karen just singing and whatever came out, came out.

5. GaryAlan

I guess Sonny & Cher tried their hand at Top Of The World,
    hey, perhaps those Carpenters' TV Specials weren't all that bad !
    This is really not good (TOTW, first two minutes of clip) !:

Carpe diem likes this.
  6. David A

David A Active Member

^^ Sonny was bad uggh. :D I had forgotten that. But it was all part of their shtick. And yes, a bad cover of TOTW.

7. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

Wow! And OJ is in the lineup (pardon the pun)...

I never understood the phenomenon of Cher being considered a top vocalist. She has no range and her vocals are all kind of singsongy with a weird twang on the lyrics. Vastly overrated, IMHO. Their show, however, was very popular in the US and garnered huge ratings.

Jarred likes this.
  8. newvillefan

Completely agree. I’ve never understood how she became as successful as she has. It certainly isn’t for outstanding vocal prowess.

Jarred and David A like this.
  9. Top of the world. An everyday listen for me.
    Isn't Cher's new album an album of ABBA covers...so rumour goes.Due in September maybe..

10. newvillefan

God please no!

Murray, David A and Carpe diem like this.
  11. David A

David A Active Member

"OJ in the lineup" bad :rolleyes::laugh: Agreed with this, and she has a fast vibrato which I don't care for with any singer. I think Cher had a personality that drew many to her, though.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

'Heather' was used to great effect in the late 1970s in the UK TV series, 'All Creatures Great and Small'. Johnny Pearson's version played in the scene as vet, James Herriot, frantically searched for his beloved, elderly dog and found him lying, dead, in the heather. Then, for the first time, I was touched by the tune and saw its value. Until then, having heard it only on 'Now and Then', I had always thought, 'What a waste of space'.

Johnny Pearson provided other music for 'All Creatures Great and Small' and was involved with The Carpenters in other capacities.

13. newvillefan

Like what? I’ve never heard of him until now.

14. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Johnny Pearson co-produced the 1971 'Carpenters Live at the BBC' special, apparently.

He was a British composer and orchestra leader. One of his best-known roles was composing music for the immensely popular long-running TV series, 'All Creatures Great and Small'.

He was in touch with Richard Carpenter before the recording of 'Heather' and allowed the name change suggested by John Bettis. The piece was previously called 'Autumn Reverie'.

CraigGA likes this.
  15. GaryAlan

I did notice that the credits (as they rolled) from the 1971 BBC TV Special
    state Johnny Pearson: Musical Director.

Brian likes this.
  16. John Adam

John Adam Member

This is probably the Carpenters song I have heard (most) publicly from over the years. "Top Of The World" is my #8 favorite singles by the duo. The single remix is basically a perfect 70's pop song and it rightly brought them back to the TOP of the charts. Plus it's from my favorite R&K album, The Singles: 1969-1973. The album like the single is utter perfection! It's a sunny, breezy sing-a-long song that is timeless, beautiful production and remix made for a big radio hit.

10/10