1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Official Review [Single]: 13. "TOP OF THE WORLD"/"HEATHER" (1468-S)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Aug 20, 2016.

Which side is your favorite?

1. Side A: "Top Of The World"

38 vote(s)
    92.7%
  2. Side B: "Heather"

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

To my knowledge that’s never been uploaded online anywhere.

2. will1966

will1966 New Member

OK, this brings up something that has bothered me for over 40 years. Why are there two separate pronunciations of "world" in this song? In the first chorus, "world" has a definite "British" sounding pronunciation with a rounded "R" sound, and in the next chorus the R is a more hardened American pronunciation. I remember noticing this when I was 8 years old and trying to figure it out.

3. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

And, 'food for thought'....
    Karen drums Top Of The World--1973 White House Performance--
    although, Hal Blaine does those duties on 1972's Song For You Lp.

4. David A

David A Well-Known Member

Top of the World, of course. I say 'of course' because an instrumental can be pleasant but without Karen's voice I lose interest quickly.

Some here have talked about Karen's vocal inflections and accents; she does seem to choose differing pronunciations at times - sometimes in the same song, on the same word(s). I've often wondered if these were conscious choices, or Karen just singing and whatever came out, came out.

5. David A

David A Well-Known Member

"OJ in the lineup" bad :rolleyes::laugh: Agreed with this, and she has a fast vibrato which I don't care for with any singer. I think Cher had a personality that drew many to her, though.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

'Heather' was used to great effect in the late 1970s in the UK TV series, 'All Creatures Great and Small'. Johnny Pearson's version played in the scene as vet, James Herriot, frantically searched for his beloved, elderly dog and found him lying, dead, in the heather. Then, for the first time, I was touched by the tune and saw its value. Until then, having heard it only on 'Now and Then', I had always thought, 'What a waste of space'.

Johnny Pearson provided other music for 'All Creatures Great and Small' and was involved with The Carpenters in other capacities.

7. newvillefan

Like what? I’ve never heard of him until now.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Johnny Pearson co-produced the 1971 'Carpenters Live at the BBC' special, apparently.

He was a British composer and orchestra leader. One of his best-known roles was composing music for the immensely popular long-running TV series, 'All Creatures Great and Small'.

He was in touch with Richard Carpenter before the recording of 'Heather' and allowed the name change suggested by John Bettis. The piece was previously called 'Autumn Reverie'.

CraigGA likes this.
  9. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

I did notice that the credits (as they rolled) from the 1971 BBC TV Special
    state Johnny Pearson: Musical Director.

Brian likes this.
  10. John Adam

John Adam "We are observing your Forum".........Baby

This is probably the Carpenters song I have heard (most) publicly from over the years. "Top Of The World" is my #8 favorite singles by the duo. The single remix is basically a perfect 70's pop song and it rightly brought them back to the TOP of the charts. Plus it's from my favorite R&K album, The Singles: 1969-1973. The album like the single is utter perfection! It's a sunny, breezy sing-a-long song that is timeless, beautiful production and remix made for a big radio hit.

10/10

MorningOpensQuietly and Jamesj75 like this.
  11. adam

adam Active Member

Hi
    Top of the world. chart facts.

Australia. 1
    Belgium. 27
    Canada. 1
    Germany. 38
    Ireland. 3
    Israel. 1
    Japan. 21
    New zealand. 2
    Netherlands. 12
    UK.5
    USA.1

Jamesj75 likes this.
  12. Even today, Top of the World is the Carpenters song I most frequently hear in Israel.

John Adam and Jamesj75 like this.
  13. newvillefan

I always find it surprising and quite sad that they never had a UK number one single.

14. Rumbahbah

Rumbahbah Well-Known Member

It's true, but they had two #2s (compared to their five #2s in the US - that was pretty unlucky!) and although these were kept off the top by two pretty forgettable tracks ('I'm the Leader of the Gang' by the egregious Gary Glitter and 'January' by Pilot), that's just the way it goes sometimes.

They did much better on the album charts - a massive combined total of 29 weeks at #1 for The Singles 1969-1973, Horizon and the Only Yesterday compilation - which far trumped their single week on top of the US album chart.

GaryAlan and newvillefan like this.