• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Official Review [Single]: 14. "I WON'T LAST A DAY WITHOUT YOU"/"ONE LOVE" (1521-S)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "I Won't Last A Day Without You"

Votes: 39 79.6%
  • Side B: "One Love"

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters

Jarred

However, does anyone else find the remix of One Love annoying? I bought it a few years back and something in the background a "ticking" or whatever drove me nuts. It's so small but it stood out sorely. Am I nuts? Haha I find no real fault in the original's arrangement (some tracks def benefitted from one) and it doesn't include this addition(?).

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
The percussive "ticking" was always there. It was brought forward more in the 1994 remix.

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
However, does anyone else find the remix of One Love annoying? I bought it a few years back and something in the background a "ticking" or whatever drove me nuts. It's so small but it stood out sorely.
That’s the hi-hat on the drums being struck by a drumstick.

Jarred

The percussive "ticking" was always there. It was brought forward more in the 1994 remix.
Oh okay, that makes sense, it just sounded better when more mixed/subdued, despite being seemingly somewhat not as crucial to the feel of the song.

Carpe diem

In case anyone has not heard it, One Love, MYOKOM TV 1971,
where the piano interlude is just a bit different from the recorded version.
I love it, it is a beauty (go to: 1:57 for that piano):
Nice post and observation! It makes you wonder why they just didn't do the whole bit "live". Richard is a world-class piano player/arranger. His ability to insert these wonderful moments into songs is uncanny.

Jarred

I always wondered why during all this lip syncing (I don't mind, really, as its a joy just to see the footage of Karen miming) they included this live bit.

A&M Retro

Thanks for posting this clip. I’ve always liked that extra piano. Richard was already tinkering with completed tracks! It’s in his blood.

And Karen’s dress reminds me of a Christmas tree, courtesy of ‘Little House On The Prairie’.

Ah, the ‘70s.

Top Bottom