⭐ Official Review [Single]: 14. "I WON'T LAST A DAY WITHOUT YOU"/"ONE LOVE" (1521-S)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "I Won't Last A Day Without You"

Votes: 43 78.2%
  • Side B: "One Love"

Votes: 12 21.8%

• Total voters
But for some reason it stands out on this song, it doesn’t feel organic or needed. Hard to explain.
This quote is about a year and a half old and is about the 'double-tracking" or "over-singing" by Karen of her lead vocal on the choruses (actually 3 of the 4 lines of each chorus) of "I Won't Last...", and at least one other person here agrees (see above). I agree also, and for all the reasons I've elaborated upon elsewhere in this Forum.

It's very interesting and instructive to read this because I had the impression from the backlash that I had been receiving from some because of my discussion of this topic that I might have been the first one to ever complain about this recording technique here, and that I was committing some sort of sacrilege in questioning Richard and/or Karen for resorting to this. But, apparently not so. Maybe I got so much static simply because I was so persistent and effective in campaigning against it...

No, it isn't organic - and it was never needed, on any of their songs. And it's easy to explain: It's not real or natural, and it distorts Karen's beautiful voice out of all possible recognition. Something that never should have been done. It strikes me as inexplicable that those who claim to love her voice are so willing to accept this distortion without the slightest complaint (al the while whining endlessly about the chorales and their limited and taseful use in just a few songs). This is all upside down and backwards.

This song had the potential musically - from the standpoint of it's melody, lyrics and arrangement - of being one of their very best songs, right up there in the same class with "Rainy Days" and "Superstar" - but this senseless pandering to an old novelty recording technique just to sell a few more records because it was the "style" at the time ruined that potential - and why he did it on 3 of the 4 lines is stupid beyond belief, just like he only did it on the first two lines of the 4 line chorus of "I Need to Be in Love", their very best song ever.

It's very easy to explain: no one sings along with themselves in real life...

I like this song. It’s one of my favorites. My only criticism is when the last chorus gains speed to an already sped up version. Besides that, I find it endearing. I think even more vocal stacks would have helped in the chorus but I like it as it is. The opening and ending is among my favorite ‘flourishes’. I find the song a treasure.

Back
Top Bottom