⭐ Official Review [Single]: 15. "PLEASE MR. POSTMAN"/"THIS MASQUERADE" (1646-S)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "Please Mr. Postman"

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • Side B: "This Masquerade"

Votes: 35 53.8%

• Total voters
The single mix actually has an alternate lead take on Karen on the first line (if memory serves me), but I don't believe that's the mix that ended up on the set from '91.

I have been claiming for years that there is an alternate lead vocal take (at least, at the beginning of the song)
on the Single-45 version, it being different from what you hear on the album. Others have tried to claim otherwise,
yet, I hold fast to what I hear.
But, it seems to me that the album version heard on From The Top is sped-up (from the album version).

I have been claiming for years that there is an alternate lead vocal take (at least, at the beginning of the song)
on the Single-45 version, it being different from what you hear on the album. Others have tried to claim otherwise,
yet, I hold fast to what I hear.
But, it seems to me that the album version heard on From The Top is sped-up (from the album version).
Well, you are correct. 😊

One of the natural mind games played on ourselves: I can usually tell something is different about the song based on the memory that comes back to me as I listen. I don’t always know why or sometimes what, but thanks to Harry and Chris we can know exactly what it is. Since I have been a fan since 1973 I have had many years to listen on repeat!

Well, you are correct. 😊
I'm gonna have to disagree here. I have the original 12x12 FROM THE TOP version and the Remastered Classic version of "Please Mr. Postman" running simultaneously and they are absolutely locked as far as speed- well, there are microseconds worth of difference, probably not noticeable by most.

What *is* different is that the two are in reversed phase from each other.

^^Ok...I will chew on that...."reversed phase"
But, what are the implications as far as me "hearing" that "reversed phase" ?

At any instant, if one left speaker cone is vibrating outward, the other left speaker cone is vibrating inward. Most won't hear any difference. What's most important is that the right and left are in proper phase agreement.

1646929644728.png

I'm gonna have to disagree here. I have the original 12x12 FROM THE TOP version and the Remastered Classic version of "Please Mr. Postman" running simultaneously and they are absolutely locked as far as speed- well, there are microseconds worth of difference, probably not noticeable by most.

What *is* different is that the two are in reversed phase from each other.
What I was referring to was the alternate lead on the single. Guess I should have reworded that post! Sorry LOL

What I was referring to was the alternate lead on the single. Guess I should have reworded that post! Sorry LOL
OK. That explains it. The single version is of course, easily available on that COMPLETE SINGLES set from Public TV along with selected other issues.

It's pretty noticeable when you compare them. The 45 single version has a less 'clean' mix than the LP version. Plus, Karen sings the first line much 'harder' on the single version.

When the album was released, I caught that immediately because Karen sounds like she's singing, 'Peuostman' instead of 'Postman' and it's much clearer sounding than the single. When I used that song as a DJ, I would mix the single intro into the album version because I like Karen's single take better at the beginning. But I'm sure nobody knew but me. :) I've still got it someplace on cassette.

Cashbox, March 29, 1975:
Carpenters Disk Monster In Japan, HOLLYWOOD -
"The Carpenters' "Please Mr. Postman," has established a record for the A&M recording artists in Japan.
For the first time in Japanese pop music history, a song was number one on every record chart and radio station at the same time.
"Postman" was not only on top for a week, but has been there the past six weeks."

Here:

It's pretty noticeable when you compare them. The 45 single version has a less 'clean' mix than the LP version. Plus, Karen sings the first line much 'harder' on the single version.

When the album was released, I caught that immediately because Karen sounds like she's singing, 'Peuostman' instead of 'Postman' and it's much clearer sounding than the single. When I used that song as a DJ, I would mix the single intro into the album version because I like Karen's single take better at the beginning. But I'm sure nobody knew but me. :) I've still got it someplace on cassette.
It’s probably already been mentioned but the drums on the ‘Please Mr. Postman’ single and on the ‘Horizon’ album version were also different from each other - either re-recorded, remixed or otherwise altered, sound-wise.

Back
Top Bottom