1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Official Review [Single]: 15. "PLEASE MR. POSTMAN"/"THIS MASQUERADE" (1646-S)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Sep 24, 2016.

Which side is your favorite?

1. Side A: "Please Mr. Postman"

21 vote(s)
    44.7%
  2. Side B: "This Masquerade"

26 vote(s)
    55.3%
  1. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

March 15, 1975, Record Mirror:
    "Carpenters' Please Mr.Postman has sold in excess of 250,000 UK copies."

2. GaryAlan

It is interesting, regards two Carpenters' singles,
    Please Mr. Postman and the earlier Sing,
    they being often maligned as being lightweight, if not inconsequential.
    I am of opposite opposite in that regard.
    To this day, I believe that these two singles
    are brilliant in their execution:
    That is, lead vocal...background vocals... arrangement.

3. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

I feel that Please Mr. Postman is one of their greatest songs and it can introduce a new comer to their oldies nostalgia selections where Karen is heard playing drums and singing lead and background vocals.

4. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

Mr Postman never did it for me. I don't consider it one of their best. Really shows the "fickleness" of the record buying public IMHO. How it can go to #1 and a GREAT song like All You Get From Love... can just languish on the charts is beyond me. I do like that Disneyland video (Karen is absolutely beautiful) and wouldn't trade that for the world.

5. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Well-Known Member

My mom thinks Richard should put out a sequel to “Please Mr. Postman” that is updated to reflect email and the internet. I have told her how Alan Jackson did a quasi-sequel with www.memory.

6. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

Please Mr. Postman has a contagious element to it, begging to be played repeatedly. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song does not have the same feeling.

The original writer of Love Song has a relaxed laid back slap in the music that Richard removed on their version that took that playback feel from it. It is still a nice song and in some ways an improved version but whether it was single worthy is still questionable to me. It was realeased in the spring and it has a late summer, early fall feeling to it. I wish some of that laid back emotional feeling was kept however, for I feel it would have helped it.

Please Mr. Postman has a lot stuffed into that simple song of fun that adds to the musical quality. Nothing is wasted and it is tastefully accomplished in its presentation. Plus, it set a record in the record books for a number 1 Motown Song original and covered version both going to number 1 on the Billboard charts. Not many can claim that accomplishment and it was their last number 1 song.

I enjoy both songs for what they accomplished and for simply being a song where we get to hear Karen singing 2 different styles of music to perfection.

7. GaryAlan

Yes, I love both songs ! As I love all things Passage....
    Be that as it may, Carpenters' Please Mr. Postman is a brilliant update of that song !
    All You Get From Love Song is special for many a reason, simply not as effective for a 'remake.'

Jamesj75 likes this.