⭐ Official Review [Single]: 15. "PLEASE MR. POSTMAN"/"THIS MASQUERADE" (1646-S)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "Please Mr. Postman"

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • Side B: "This Masquerade"

Votes: 35 53.8%

• Total voters
I think it has something to do with the melody or lack thereof. I have the same reaction to Solitaire (it's worse with Solitaire - this song gets skipped lol).

I love both tracks so much but can see why someone would feel put off by them.

I think it has something to do with the melody or lack thereof. I have the same reaction to Solitaire (it's worse with Solitaire - this song gets skipped lol).
Lack of melody? Really?

Of all the negative things I could say about POSTMAN one of them wouldn't be that even it lacks a melody (of sorts) - but a lack of melody in MASQUERADE? Good grief!

Actually, it has two melodies that are lovely and intriguing and compelling, one for the verses and one for the bridge - and they compliment each other creatively, especially with Karen's tasteful and sultry interpretation...not sure what you're listening to but it's not the MASQUERADE I know and love...

If I perceive a fault with the song, "This Masquerade" and its melody, I guess I would suggest that it's never been an "earworm" song. It's not something I find myself humming to myself. Indeed, even when seeing the song listed here on a text forum, I have to stop and think of which song is being discussed. There's also a song on A&M by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 called "Masquerade", and my mind tends to go there first.

Actually, it has two melodies that are lovely and intriguing and compelling, one for the verses and one for the bridge - and they compliment each other creatively, especially with Karen's tasteful and sultry interpretation...

The loveliest part of the song is this, but the nicest, most unexpected twist is the shift from major into minor chords - right there in the middle of the bridge for just one line:

Both afraid to say we’re just too far away
From being close together from the start

(Shift to minor chords)
We tried to talk it over but the words got in the way
(Shift back to major chords)
We’re lost inside this lonely game we play

Masterpiece of an arrangement.

Last edited:
Thankfully, we have songs like Sing and Please Mr. Postman !
Had it not been for Postman hitting #1 in 1975, The Carpenters would have fallen off the USA charts,
and out of public consciousness, earlier than they did !
Karen lends her drumming skills to both songs, which is always bonus.
While those two particular songs may seem 'trite' compared to the likes of This Masquerade or A Song For You,
nothing could be further from the truth. That point is worth reiterating.
Both Sing and Please Mr.Postman are brilliantly arranged and Karen sings them flawlessly.
Tony Peluso, by the way, was quite proud of his guitar-work on Please Mr.Postman (Melody Maker interview).
Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion,
I hold both songs in high regard.
"Make it simple to last your whole life long."
A simple song done well is a difficult task.

The loveliest part of the song is this, but the nicest, most unexpected twist is the shift from major into minor chords - right there in the middle of the bridge for just one line:

(Shift to minor chords)

It's interesting to understand on a "technical" level, why something sounds so great - as this indeed does. Thanks.

(Shift to minor chords)

An atmospheric song you just get lost in.

Lack of melody? Really?

Of all the negative things I could say about POSTMAN one of them wouldn't be that even it lacks a melody (of sorts) - but a lack of melody in MASQUERADE? Good grief!

Actually, it has two melodies that are lovely and intriguing and compelling, one for the verses and one for the bridge - and they compliment each other creatively, especially with Karen's tasteful and sultry interpretation...not sure what you're listening to but it's not the MASQUERADE I know and love...
I'm listening to what you're listening to but simply not enjoying what you enjoy. 🙂

I would choose This Masquerade, Karen's voice is really soothing and adult sounding in this song!

And I love the bass in it and just the whole arrangement, I'm Dutch and I never really thought about lyrics meaning.. (of course I understand Close to you, etc.) I will deepen myself more in the lyrics today!

Have a nice day!

ps: These are the lyrics in Dutch! really love it! it tells a whole story! (they always do but this is a very good love story)

Zijn we echt blij Met dit eenzame spel dat we spelen? Op zoek naar de juiste woorden om te zeggen Zoeken maar toch geen begrip vinden We zijn verdwaald in deze maskerade

Beiden bang om te zeggen dat we gewoon te ver weg zijn Van vanaf het begin dicht bij elkaar zijn We probeerden erover te praten, maar de woorden stonden in de weg We zijn verdwaald in dit eenzame spel dat we spelen Gedachten aan vertrek verdwijnen Elke keer als ik je ogen zie En hoe hard ik ook mijn best doe Om de reden te begrijpen waarom we op deze manier doorgaan We zijn verdwaald in deze maskerade

We probeerden erover te praten, maar de woorden stonden in de weg We zijn verdwaald in dit eenzame spel dat we spelen Gedachten aan vertrek verdwijnen Elke keer als ik je ogen zie En hoe hard ik ook mijn best doe Om de reden te begrijpen waarom we op deze manier doorgaan We zijn verdwaald in een maskerade We zijn verdwaald in een maskerade (en we zijn verdwaald in een maskerade)

If I perceive a fault with the song, "This Masquerade" and its melody, I guess I would suggest that it's never been an "earworm" song. It's not something I find myself humming to myself. Indeed, even when seeing the song listed here on a text forum, I have to stop and think of which song is being discussed. There's also a song on A&M by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 called "Masquerade", and my mind tends to go there first.

Funny, I find the Masquerade melody quite compelling and memorable. It sticks in my brain like a delicious meal. I find myself sometimes just singing in my brain This Masquerade randomly on the walking for an errand, or going to the beach. Not so much Postman.

Funny, I find the Masquerade melody quite compelling and memorable. ...
Yes, exactly - I think it repesents all that was so very unique and special about the Carpenters, and stripped down to it's basics or essence - the subtle but highly stylized arrangement, the masterful instrumentals (including Karen's drum work), the limited and tasteful background vocal acompaniment and the gorgeous lead vocal by a confident and thoroughly professional singer at the top of her art (without a trace of double-tracking) - if we only had had much more like this, and a video of the session that produced it!

I'd agree that 'This Masquerade' isn't an earworm in the sense of being an instantly catchy song, but I would argue that it's a very memorable song in the sense of being able to affect the listener on a deeper level than simply 'oh this is a nice song'. I remember the irst time I watched The Karen Carpenter Story and, aside from 'Rainy Days and Mondays', 'This Masquerade' was the song that most caught my attention in the film.

It has real depth to it and doesn't really sound like anything else in their catalog - even compared to the other Leon Russell tracks they recorded. The closest song to it in feeling is 'Ordinary Fool', which is another triumph in terms of the performance and the arrangement really being able to fully connect with the listener.

That's not to take anything away from 'Pleae Mr Postman', which is great fun and nicely done, but if I had to classify them, I'd say 'Postman' is one of those guaranteed smash hit singles, whereas 'This Masquerade' is a song for the ages - and given George Benson's success with it a few years later, maybe it could have been a leftfield hit in its own right.

I'd say 'Postman' is one of those guaranteed smash hit singles, whereas 'This Masquerade' is a song for the ages

Great description of the track - it’s a classic. I’ve noticed several times over the years that it’s made it to Greatest Hits compilations...despite often being the only non A-side on those collections. The UK’s “Only Yesterday” from 1990 is the first one that springs to mind.

And what a bargain for those who bought the 45 single when it came out. Two great Carpenters songs for about a dollar. One fun pop hit, and the flip side with one of Karen’s best vocals ever. I think it’s among Richard’s favorites, maybe regretful that they didn’t have the hit with it first. Hence the inclusion on most every compilation since. I love them both, but my vote was This Masquerade.

...I think it’s among Richard’s favorites, maybe regretful that they didn’t have the hit with it first...
As he very well should be - or with I JUST FALL..., or YOU'RE THE ONE, or KISS ME..., or A SONG FOR YOU, or DESPERADO, or even DON'T BE AFRAID way back at the start, or ONE MORE TIME, or LEAVE YESTERDAY BEHIND...all musically superior songs - what they needed was a no BS, cantankerous, elitist snob like me picking their singles releases - there would have been no regrets...and the highest possible reputation for excellence - yes, fewer sales, but just how many records did they need to peddle and how many justly deserved millions did they really need to stash away?

I'd agree that 'This Masquerade' isn't an earworm in the sense of being an instantly catchy song, but I would argue that it's a very memorable song in the sense of being able to affect the listener on a deeper level than simply 'oh this is a nice song'. I remember the irst time I watched The Karen Carpenter Story and, aside from 'Rainy Days and Mondays', 'This Masquerade' was the song that most caught my attention in the film.

It has real depth to it and doesn't really sound like anything else in their catalog - even compared to the other Leon Russell tracks they recorded. The closest song to it in feeling is 'Ordinary Fool', which is another triumph in terms of the performance and the arrangement really being able to fully connect with the listener.

That's not to take anything away from 'Pleae Mr Postman', which is great fun and nicely done, but if I had to classify them, I'd say 'Postman' is one of those guaranteed smash hit singles, whereas 'This Masquerade' is a song for the ages - and given George Benson's success with it a few years later, maybe it could have been a leftfield hit in its own right.
I honestly wouldn't even consider "Please Mr. Postman" as earworm material. Just compared with "This Masquerade", per the orignial post discussion, I prefer "Please Mr. Postman".

PLEASE MR POSTMAN is for everyone, the legions of fans worldwide, THIS MASQUERADE appeals to the connoisseur. it is not elitism, but a more intimate reception of the nuance of their talents.

I trust the nuances of their talents and versatility are conveyed in plenty of other songs other than "This Masquerade". In my opinion, songs like "Boat To Sail", "A Song For You", "Mr. Guder", and "Now" to name a few.

I would not generalize "Please Mr. Postman" as a song for everyone. Personally, it's not a go-to song for me.

i don't know how the love and respect of two musical talents can inspire such vitriol. i was away from this board for well over a year because of this. new names, same animus. once again, i'm out of here

Back
Top Bottom