⭐ Official Review [Single]: 15. "PLEASE MR. POSTMAN"/"THIS MASQUERADE" (1646-S)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "Please Mr. Postman"

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • Side B: "This Masquerade"

Votes: 35 53.8%

• Total voters
March 15, 1975, Record Mirror:
"Carpenters' Please Mr.Postman has sold in excess of 250,000 UK copies."

It is interesting, regards two Carpenters' singles,
Please Mr. Postman and the earlier Sing,
they being often maligned as being lightweight, if not inconsequential.
I am of opposite opposite in that regard.
To this day, I believe that these two singles
are brilliant in their execution:
That is, lead vocal...background vocals... arrangement.

I feel that Please Mr. Postman is one of their greatest songs and it can introduce a new comer to their oldies nostalgia selections where Karen is heard playing drums and singing lead and background vocals.

Mr Postman never did it for me. I don't consider it one of their best. Really shows the "fickleness" of the record buying public IMHO. How it can go to #1 and a GREAT song like All You Get From Love... can just languish on the charts is beyond me. I do like that Disneyland video (Karen is absolutely beautiful) and wouldn't trade that for the world.

Please Mr. Postman has a contagious element to it, begging to be played repeatedly. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song does not have the same feeling.

The original writer of Love Song has a relaxed laid back slap in the music that Richard removed on their version that took that playback feel from it. It is still a nice song and in some ways an improved version but whether it was single worthy is still questionable to me. It was realeased in the spring and it has a late summer, early fall feeling to it. I wish some of that laid back emotional feeling was kept however, for I feel it would have helped it.

Please Mr. Postman has a lot stuffed into that simple song of fun that adds to the musical quality. Nothing is wasted and it is tastefully accomplished in its presentation. Plus, it set a record in the record books for a number 1 Motown Song original and covered version both going to number 1 on the Billboard charts. Not many can claim that accomplishment and it was their last number 1 song.

I enjoy both songs for what they accomplished and for simply being a song where we get to hear Karen singing 2 different styles of music to perfection.

Yes, I love both songs ! As I love all things Passage....
Be that as it may, Carpenters' Please Mr. Postman is a brilliant update of that song !
All You Get From Love Song is special for many a reason, simply not as effective for a 'remake.'

Please Mr Postman..chart facts.

Argentina.5
Australia.1
Brazil.2
Canada.1
Germany.10
Ireland.2
Israel.1
Japan.11
Netherlands.33
New zealand. 1
UK.2
USA.1
South Africa.1
Switzeeland.5
Zimbazwee.2

There is no denying the addictive nature of Please Mr. Postman. It is one of the finest examples of overdubbed vocals, the talent of the band as musicians, and winning arrangement from Richard. A simplistic song done well is never easy. With Karen’s vocals to promote what became a winner is a true example of her star impact that led the group to another number 1 and/or top song worldwide.

Richard said there was no way to edit the song to fit top 40 radio programmers.

I tried in the day. The modulation and key change in the chorus made this impossible. If this had been arranged without this, it would have been a single candidate. Anne Murray's version didn't have that issue, and it was an easy hit single.

Please Mr Postman..chart facts.

Argentina.5
Australia.1
Brazil.2
Canada.1
Germany.10
Ireland.2
Israel.1
Japan.11
Netherlands.33
New zealand. 1
UK.2
USA.1
South Africa.1
Switzeeland.5
Zimbazwee.2
Thank you for these posts on chart positions, Adam. I always enjoy them!

Here is an interesting list...(note songs #8 & 9 !).
Top 100 Singles of 1975 in Canada
"The Canadian charts are an accurate reflection of Canadian tastes in music,
and the Top 100 songs were determined both from radio airplay and nationwide sales data."
RANK TITLE ARTIST
1 Love Will Keep Us Together Captain & Tennille
2 Bad Blood Neil Sedaka
3 Jive Talkin’ The Bee Gees
4 Rhinestone Cowboy Glen Campbell
5 Philadelphia Freedom Elton John
6 I’m Not In Love 10 CC
7 Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds Elton John
8 Lady Marmalade LaBelle
9 The Hustle Van McCoy
10 Hey You Bachman-Turner Overdrive
11 Please Mr. Postman The Carpenters
----
59 Only Yesterday The Carpenters
----

Source:
musiccanada.wordpress.com/2015/11/15/top-100-singles-of-1975-in-canada/

I think Masquerade is certainly the more substantial song on this 45. It's dark, sophisticated, and elegant. Three qualities that perfectly match Karen's voice. But it would have floundered as an A-side - too slow, no hook, too "elitist", so to speak. I can't imagine it climbing the charts even when they were at the peak of their popularity.

Postman is tailor made for radio, a perfect pop confection. Doesn't have the substance of so many other songs but it's catchy as hell and made them more popular.

Masquerade is the better song, certainly, even if Postman has a stronger replay factor. A 1991 analysis on their music suggested that had they released Masqerade instead of Sing as a single they would have gotten more respect as sophisticated musicians, while is true. However, they also had their eye on the charts and it wasn't going to get them a top five hit like Sing would.

"This Masquerade" is easily edited down to a 3:00 track, complete with the instrumental fade-out so programmers could shorten it even further.

But I don't think it would have made a good single track.

"This Masquerade" is easily edited down to a 3:00 track, complete with the instrumental fade-out so programmers could shorten it even further.

But I don't think it would have made a good single track.

Yeah, I agree it can be clipped here and there time-wise, but just everything else about it does not make for good top 40 radio. Another odd example I use is a Mamas and Papas track entitled "Dancing Bear" - perhaps their best song ever, gorgeous, timeless, exquiste, but they inexplicably released this art song as an A-side single and naturally it flopped in the 50's. So artistic merit certainly of course doesn't always go along with popular tastes.

hi
Thanks james
Glad you enjoy posts on chart facts.
cheers

My pleasure, Adam.

I like statistics, and I certainly enjoy reading about Carpenters' chart performance.
I appreciate your taking the time to do the research and share the data with us.

Cheers!

I was listening to Sweet Sixteen cd (40th),
and, I must say,
Please Mr. Postman
on this disc does not sound exactly like the 45-single.
The Forum Resource places it under "original single mix"
but, Liner Notes to Sweet Sixteen have it credited to "1991 remix."
Especially, I hear the difference in the saxophone.

Though it is mastered a little louder on SWEET SIXTEEN, nevertheless, it is the original single mix. The liner notes are wrong.

I was thrilled to hear the 2018 RPO Postman....
and, I can't help but reiterating how much I have loved this song through the years.
From day one--I think I first heard it one day in January 1975 (12 yrs old)--
this song has struck a chord with me. Little wonder it topped the charts.
A great vocal, Karen's drums, a creative arrangement, those background vocals.
It is perfect Carpenters' ear-candy.
I still love it.

I was thrilled to hear the 2018 RPO Postman....
and, I can't help but reiterating how much I have loved this song through the years.
From day one--I think I first heard it one day in January 1975 (12 yrs old)--
this song has struck a chord with me. Little wonder it topped the charts.
A great vocal, Karen's drums, a creative arrangement, those background vocals.
It is perfect Carpenters' ear-candy.
I still love it.
If I could double like this, I would.

My favorite part on the Postman RPO is the added strings 1:20-1:35 love that part. Still no matter what version I hear I can’t get the Disney video out of my mind when I hear this song. Karen is having a blast and it always brings a smile to my face. When she’s on the train, gorgeous!!

My favorite part on the Postman RPO is the added strings 1:20-1:35 love that part.

To remove the rhythm section in verse two and replace it with strings only was a genius move. For some reason though, I still don’t think it would have fit anywhere on the album. It’s almost like an outtake. Nice to have as a bonus track though. I wonder if Those Good Old Dreams will ever see the light of day?

Here is one view of the song (in which, I strongly disagree):
The Carpenters – “Please Mr. Postman”
HIT #1
: January 25, 1975
STAYED AT #1: 1 week
"...background music was what the Carpenters did. The Carpenters had recorded plenty of covers before “Please Mr. Postman.
They’d even devoted an entire side of their 1973 album Now & Then to new versions of oldies, strung together by a fake old-timey radio DJ.
But they’d never done less with their source material than they did on “Please Mr. Postman.”
Karen Carpenter, a singer capable of great nuance and empathy and sadness, gets absolutely no space to show what she can do on
Please Mr. Postman.” She simply agreeably chirps the song, over a rigid polka-fart backbeat that sounds a lot like the slick late-’50s malt-shop music that Motown helped render obsolete. Tony Peluso plays rockabilly-ish guitar, and Bob Messenger plays a honking sax solo, even though the original “Please Mr. Postman” had been too efficient a song for guitars or sax solos. And so the Carpenters’ 14-years-later version of
Please Mr. Postman” somehow sounds less advanced than the original."
More:
ttps://www.stereogum.com/2048561/the-number-ones-the-carpenters-please-mr-postman/franchises/the-number-ones/

Back
Top Bottom