⭐ Official Review [Single]: 16. "SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN"/"MERRY CHRISTMAS DARLING" (1648-S)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • Side B: "Merry Christmas Darling"

Votes: 19 42.2%

• Total voters
The liner notes from Richard on From The Top Box Set states,
"The track to this selection was recorded in 1972 but our schedules left no time for vocals and sweetening until late 1974"

I'm taking that to mean Karen & Richard recorded their vocals in 74'
It's interesting that they debuted this while on their concert tours as we have 2 live recordings of this track from Miami Beach Nov 1971 and some other concert from Dec 1973.

Thank you, I forgot about those notes. It sounds like it was too. Are those two live Perfs on YouTube?

I remember hearing this on the radio and thinking, "Gee, Carpenters have come up with another great Christmas record." They'd already had success with "Merry Christmas Darling" and I began to picture a Christmas album coming soon. But was actually a few years - and this wasn't on it, even though the album contained a quickie version of the song. I was very disappointed about that.
I so agree with this, Harry. I was baffled as to why this remarkable arrangement was not included on their Christmas album. I never got the song as a single, but I do remember buying this album, Goodyear - The Great Songs of Christmas, specifically because it included this recording: Goodyear Great Songs of Christmas CD, Album, Record »

I love 'Merry Christmas, Darling', but nothing can beat Karen's vocal, Richard's arrangement and his and the band's performance on 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town'. Btw, on 'Merry Christmas, Darling', I prefer Karen's vocal on the original 1970 single version, rather than the later remake.

It's a "dead heat" for me. Sterling A-Side rendition, with the horns coming in and Bob Messenger with another big sax solo perfectly placed. I like the "jazzy" feel of it. Very nice! B-Side has become a Christmas standard on most holiday music line-ups. I love the Karen vocal. Just sings it so beautifully and with most of their similar holiday work, there is that little intro to the song that seems to be their signature. "Greeting cards have all been sent..." I also like Side-B because The Carpenters made Frank Pooler immortal in a way and how he "teared-up" when he heard Richard's arrangement and Karen's vocals for the first time.

I listened to this single today,
and, regards
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town:
The first Sax solo is much beefier than the more-laid-back later sax solo--
thus, I still gravitate to the 1974 original.

Now, the 1984 version ( as heard on the Christmas Collection 2-cd set)
also has--at the very end of the song--
the sound of the bells (or, whatever they are),
which is not on the original 1974 single (1468-s).

Santa. Cuz I'm a pushover for Karen Carpenter's lower register displayed here profoundly.

I was just looking at the 45 sleeve and was it ever bringing back those Christmas memories seeing Santa in the chimney. Out of all the Christmas Singles, this one has the best artwork.

I was just looking at the 45 sleeve and was it ever bringing back those Christmas memories seeing Santa in the chimney. Out of all the Christmas Singles, this one has the best artwork.

Great single, I think this is the best holiday "45" ever! Looking forward to hearing the Orchestral version of Merry Christmas Darling on the upcoming December release. :) I wonder which vocal take they will use?

I just ordered a copy of this single from eBay, not being around in 1974 (I was -27 years unborn :laugh:) this is one of the singles I don't have yet.

I will admit that I listened to the two Christmas albums yesterday... In my defence I think an entire year is far too long to wait to hear Karen's beautiful voice singing those beautiful songs !

I've been hearing the Santa Claus A-Side recently and it's a track that's deepened a greet deal for me over the years and it hits harder the older you get. Their directly wistful take on a usually upbeat track recontextualizes an innocent, childlike song for adulthood: the acceptance that childhood is over, there never was a Santa, and that the supposed magic of the season, then the new year beginning a week after the special day, is something we try to recapture by looking to the past. But there's still the languid mise en scene of the music and Karen's characteristic warmth coddling us along at a jazzy pace - and as per usual comforting us while providing glimpses into the abyss.

I was just listening to this one on the Perry Como Christmas Show DVD. And I was noticing that besides the sax being different from the 84 mix, the piano is mono and (even on the stereo 45, the piano is mono) and sounds like it might’ve been recorded around the time Heather. It’s got that really dated tinny plunking sound to it like the piano on Heather.

Back
Top Bottom