1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Official Review [Single]: 17. "ONLY YESTERDAY"/"HAPPY" (1677-S)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Nov 12, 2016.

Which side is your favorite?

1. Side A: "Only Yesterday"

34 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. Side B: "Happy"

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

I never thought Only Yesterday ever really worked when performed live. It’s so intricate, so complex (especially where the multilayered vocals are concerned), that it’s virtually impossible to recreate in a live setting. Richard once said in an interview that the song contained more vocal overdubs than anything they ever recorded. Increasing the tempo when performed live didn’t really help either. This is one of those songs that just can’t be beaten or even rivalled when done live.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Jamesj75 likes this.
  2. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

"As an aside, I wish I had seen the C's live at some point." You and me both, David! Instead of sitting in the nosebleed section at the Forum in Inglewood trying to see Led Zeppelin thru the marijuana smoke, I wish I would've paid $7.50 a ticket and seen the Carpenters perform!!:doh:

David A likes this.
  3. John Adam

John Adam Member

One of their best singles as the "B' side is actually a strong track in itself! "Only Yesterday" gets the honor of being my 4th favorite Carpenters single. I also love this album's cover. I think Karen peaked vocally by this point, a bit of a mix of her younger self and the maturing woman she was becoming, vocally. This is one of Carpenter/Bettis' finest pop moments. I just wish they could of kept writing such great songs! Everything about it is pop perfection. This is a song I never tire of hearing, it still sounds relevant in 2018. Karen and Richard still had plenty of great stuff ahead, but nothing as exceptional as this track, it was an end to an era of sure fire hits.

10/10

4. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

As with Please Mr. Postman,
    I believe the song Happy,
    is rather underrated.
    Both songs are filled with great vocals and each has a great arrangement.
    As I was listening to Horizon LP for the nth time,
    I could not help but marvel at the richness of
    Happy !

John Adam and Jamesj75 like this.